While there are good arguments to be made that a large number of cattle mutilations are actually a covert
monitoring operation for infectious diseases—diseases that are deemed necessary by the agriculture and
health authorities to keep under wraps for fear of scaring the public—a smaller but undetermined number
of cattle mutilations are clearly carried out with a different aim. And if that aim is to strike fear and or
terror into the local community, then they have certainly succeeded.
Cattle mutilations are distinguished by the anomalously sudden death of the animals with rarely any signs
of a struggle. Normally when an animal dies, even when it is butchered, it will thrash its legs or struggle in
the final throes of death agony. Not so with the cattle mutilations. No tracks, human footprints, or tire
marks are usually detected on the scene. This lack of evidence is frustrating to the legions of law
enforcement professionals who have unsuccessfully investigated cattle mutilations.
Police investigations into cattle mutilations usually fall into one of two categories. Most police feel disgust
and intimidation, and are less than motivated to investigate. Others dismiss the mutilation as the work of
predators or scavengers. But to a few, animal mutilations are a crime; an affront to a family and its
property, and they do an excellent job investigating the cases. Sheriff Tex Graves from Sterling,
Colorado; Deputy Wyatt Goring from Cache County, Utah; Captain Keith Wolverton from Great Falls,
Montana, Tommy Blann from Texas; officer Ted Oliphant from Fyffe, Alabama; and officer Gabe Valdez
from Dulce, New Mexico, are all members of the select group of police officers who did not run away or
attempt to ridicule cattle mutilations. And oftentimes they suffered for their bravery and diligence. In spite
of their conscientiousness and that of their colleagues, cattle mutilations today remain a law enforcement
enigma. Not a single person has been caught or charged in the entire thirty-five year history of the
The paranormal cattle mutilations may have been around a long time. According to researcher Tommy
Blann, precise mutilations of livestock have been recorded in England and Scotland as far back as 1810.
And Jacques Vallee described an early cattle mutilation that took place in the 1890s when a farmer
walked into his backyard and over his field saw a cigar-shaped craft floating about forty feet off the
ground. Below was one of his cows dangling by a thick cord. The craft got away, but he found his cow
dead and badly cut and burned across the street the next day.
In 1967, a horse called Lady died under suspicious circumstances in the San Luis Valley in Colorado.
The San Luis Valley was home to an almost infinite variety of legendary paranormal activity, so it was
perhaps fitting that the first widely reported mutilation case would take place there. After this initial
incident, the action started in Minnesota and North Dakota and within months had moved to northeastern
There are no hard estimates of how frequently cattle mutilations occur, but it is certain that only a
minority get reported. The stigma associated with a bizarre, satanic, cultlike phenomenon mixed with a
hint of psychological warfare is simply too much for most God-fearing ranching families. It is the
exception rather than the rule to go public with these reports. Most just bury the remains of the
unfortunate animal and hope that the problem goes away.
Cattle mutilations were not unknown in the Uinta Basin before the arrival of the Gorman family in 1994.
Local police had already investigated a couple of dozen cases in the 1970s, many within striking distance
of the ranch. Even back in the 1960s, according to local eyewitnesses, there was evidence of cattle
mutilations on the very property that the Gormans would move onto. In hindsight, locals remember a
series of particularly grisly mutilations in the 1960s and the 1970s on that very same acreage. And the
surrounding ranches were not immune.
Generated by ABC Amber LIT Converter, http://www.processtext.com/abclit.html
Convert pdf to powerpoint using - SDK application API:C# Create PDF from PowerPoint Library to convert pptx, ppt to PDF in C#.net, ASP.NET MVC, WinForms, WPF
Online C# Tutorial for Creating PDF from Microsoft PowerPoint Presentation
Convert pdf to powerpoint using - SDK application API:VB.NET Create PDF from PowerPoint Library to convert pptx, ppt to PDF in vb.net, ASP.NET MVC, WinForms, WPF
VB.NET Tutorial for Export PDF file from Microsoft Office PowerPoint
In fact, the Uinta Basin became such a hotbed of cattle mutilation in the 1970s that well-known
mutilation investigator Carl Whiteside from the Colorado Bureau of Investigation even made it a practice
to take the trip across the Utah-Colorado border in a helicopter to land near felled animals in farmers’
fields. Local ranchers in the Uinta Basin still talk about the Colorado investigative team’s unbelievable
rudeness and obnoxious behavior. And what was their diagnosis after investigating multiple cases?
Predators. But a small number of veterinarians who have had the courage to go to the scene of the
mutilations and investigate the cause of death tend to rule out the predator-scavenger theory in favor of
something much more sinister. The deliberate killing of the cattle and precise surgical removal of organs
has been described on numerous occasions.
So, unknown to Gorman, his ranch was not unique in the long history of the cattle mutilation
phenomenon. It was unusual, but not unique, for so many animals to be killed and to disappear from a
single ranch in such a short period of time. (When it occurs, it usually involves insurance fraud.) There
had been other examples, some well-known and some not so famous, of dozens of livestock being lost to
the phantom surgeons from a single ranch over a relatively short period of time. For example, a ranch in
northern New Mexico had lost a few dozen animals in the 1990s, and another well-known ranch in
northern California had also suffered in excess of thirty animals killed or missing during the 1990s. And a
Canadian ranch near Makwa in northwestern Saskatchewan lost more than a dozen animals to
mutilations over a two-year period around 1995.
But by and large, the focused decimation of a single herd is unusual. Gorman may have been relatively
atypical in having so manyregistered animals mutilated or missing over a fifteen-month period. But the
consequences to the Gorman family were both economically and psychologically devastating. They were
being harassed on their own property by a ruthless and unseen enemy.
Chapter 11
Tom and Ellen Gorman stood outside their homestead looking west. It was evening. The summer was
coming and the chill of the winter air was no longer apparent. Both were stressed. They watched their
cattle grazing several hundred yards away on the lush pasture and, just to the south, three of their horses
munched on the grass. Tom could tell there was something wrong: the cattle and the horses were restless.
Tom was the first to see it, as he was quick to notice anything slightly out of place. He stiffened. A blue
orb was flying in the tree line next to his horses. He felt Ellen beside him tensing as she too saw it. The
intense blue light cast by the object was easily visible as it flew through the trees. They both watched as it
emerged from the tree line and slowly flew around the head of one of the horses. The horse noticed it too
and impatiently shook his head as if trying to rid a swarm of flies. The darting orb was close enough to
illuminate the animal in an eerie bright blue glow. Tom was puzzled by the fact the horse never registered
alarm. Normally the blue orbs caused extreme stress in animals.
Suddenly, the blue object darted away from the horses and, with astonishing speed, moved closer to the
Gormans. It stopped abruptly in midair about fifteen feet above the ground and hovered silently about
twenty feet from them. This was easily the best view they had ever had of the elusive blue orbs. They
watched, fascinated, as the object hung in the air, apparently defying the laws of gravity. The exterior of
the orb was a clear, hard shell not unlike glass. It was maybe two or three times the size of a baseball.
And inside the glasslike exterior, moved a swirling, intensely blue substance. It seemed to Tom like a
liquid beginning to boil, a nearly bubbling incandescent blue fluid. He could hear a faint crackling sound
Generated by ABC Amber LIT Converter, http://www.processtext.com/abclit.html
SDK application API:How to C#: Overview of Using XDoc.PowerPoint
How to C#: Overview of Using XDoc.PowerPoint. your application with advanced PowerPoint document manipulating SDK to load, create, edit, convert, extract, and
SDK application API:C# PDF Convert to Jpeg SDK: Convert PDF to JPEG images in C#.net
Convert PDF to JPEG Using C#.NET. Add necessary references: RasterEdge.Imaging.Basic. dll. RasterEdge.Imaging.Basic.Codec.dll. RasterEdge.Imaging.Drawing.dll.
from the object like static electricity sometimes makes.
As Tom watched this amazing spectacle, the hair on the back of his neck rose. He could feel a wave of
deep, naked fear washing over him. He felt paralyzed with the deepest, most visceral fear he had ever
known. It was overwhelming. Wild animals had trapped Tom, he had been close to death, but he had
never felt anything like the intensity of the terror he felt now. He knew Ellen was feeling the same because
she had begun to hyperventilate. She gasped deeply and her body had begun to shake. Tom felt like he
was going to have a seizure.
Suddenly Ellen, who was whimpering with terror, turned on her flashlight. The effect was instantaneous.
The blue orb darted abruptly into the branches of the nearby tree as if trying to avoid the flashlight’s
beam. It maneuvered effortlessly through the branches at high speed. It was obvious to them that the orb
was under intelligent control. Then as abruptly as the object had darted into the trees, it suddenly shot out
of sight behind their homestead.
Ellen sank to her knees, weeping. Tom also felt weak. His legs could barely hold him. But the
overwhelming, paralyzing terror he had felt had vanished. It was like a switch had been abruptly thrown.
The aftereffects of that bolt of adrenaline were obvious. Perspiration poured from his body, and his legs
and arms began shaking violently. He too sank to his knees and put his arms around his violently
trembling wife. She continued weeping. He felt helpless to comfort her and could not manage a reassuring
word. As his shaking subsided, he felt only numbness inside. He also felt relief. And puzzlement. How
could that orb have provoked such abject terror in both of them?
Tom knew that the fear he had felt was artificial. It had not been a normal response for him. He guessed
that this bright blue orb had deliberately manipulated his emotions. How could this be? he wondered.
Ellen buried her face is his chest, saying over and over, “We have to leave this place, we have to leave
this place.” He nodded absently. He knew that his wife was nearing her breaking point. More than a year
of relentless psychological warfare by a technology that seemed capable of anticipating their responses
even before they reacted had begun taking a deep toll on her and, he knew, his children.
Two hours later, Tom and Ellen were in the living room recovering but exhausted and emotionally spent.
Out of the corner of his eye, Tom noticed the signature blue glow outside the window. He stiffened. Ellen
gasped in alarm. Both of them watched as it moved slowly past their window, flying lazily. The lights in
the living room dimmed as the blue orb flew past, leaving a murky yellow glow inside the house. As the
incandescent blue sphere traversed the end of their homestead, the lights inside the house brightened
again as if on a dimmer switch. But there were no dimmer switches in their home. They both rushed to
the front door in time to see the blue glow floating lazily over the ridge about a hundred yards away. Their
bright yard light had also dimmed as the orb moved past and it gradually regained its normal brightness.
Neither of them slept much that night. Ellen cried a lot.
The mysterious events were happening thick and fast, against a backdrop of the continuing
disappearance of objects both inside and outside the house. Tom eventually found his missing post
digger. The only trouble was he found it perched twenty feet up a tree. It would have taken somebody of
great strength to lift a seventy-pound post digger up into a tree. The mysteries deepened.
By the end of June 1996, stories and rumors had begun circulating about weird events taking place at a
remote ranch in northeastern Utah. Tom groaned. It was only a matter of time before the media got
involved and the family’s much-prized privacy would be history. One day shortly afterward, as if to
confirm their fears, Tom and his son Tad watched a vehicle drive slowly from the entrance gate all the
Generated by ABC Amber LIT Converter, http://www.processtext.com/abclit.html
SDK application API:VB.NET PDF Convert to HTML SDK: Convert PDF to html files in vb.
converter library control is a 100% clean .NET document image solution, which is designed to help .NET developers convert PDF to HTML webpage using simple VB
SDK application API:VB.NET PDF Convert to Tiff SDK: Convert PDF to tiff images in vb.
VB.NET PDF - Convert PDF to TIFF Using VB in VB.NET. using RasterEdge.Imaging.Basic; using RasterEdge.XDoc.PDF; Demo Code to Convert PDF to Tiff Using VB.NET.
way down to the homestead. As the bouncing vehicle approached, Tom could see a large, blond-haired
man at the wheel. Hiding his annoyance, Tom nodded as the stranger dismounted from the vehicle. The
guy was broad shouldered and over six foot two. It did not take him long to dispose of the pleasantries.
The stranger explained that he had learned about the bizarre events on the property “on the grapevine”
and had driven a long distance to visit. Tom interrupted to reiterate that this was private property and that
neither he nor his family were interested in developing the land as a tourist attraction. The stranger was
insistent, even pleading. All he wanted to do, he explained, was to go onto the property and meditate.
Tom could see his son grinning to himself, and eventually, half in amusement at the bizarre request, Tom
The three of them piled into Tom’s diesel truck and headed down into the ranch. After about a mile, the
stranger announced that he would like to meditate here, near a small pasture surrounded by trees. The
stranger walked into the middle of the open ground, about a hundred yards from the tree line. Tom
walked with him a short distance and then stood watching. He glanced back at his still grinning son who
had elected to stay by the truck. Tom was about thirty yards from the stranger, who had closed his eyes
and, in a faintly religious gesture, had spread both his arms out. Tom was amused.
Silence reigned and the late afternoon sun cast a beautiful light on the scene, this tall blond man standing
silently in the middle of the pasture with his eyes closed and his arms raised, much like the pose struck by
saints and angels in religious paintings. In the distance Tom heard the sudden chime of a cowbell. He was
puzzled. None of his animals had cowbells. The sound seemed to be coming from deep within the trees.
There it was again, nearer this time. The stranger seemed not to have heard it. Tad made a gesture of
puzzlement. Tom looked at the trees and thought he could see a faint blur. Something was moving very
quickly between the trees. Tom could not make out the shape, but he knew it was big. Was that the
source of the cowbell sound? He watched carefully as the shape moved like a fast blur from tree to tree.
It was almost as if it was circling. Tom suddenly felt uneasy.
Without warning, something broke from the tree line and moved swiftly toward the meditating man. Tom
blinked. He still couldn’t see what it was even though it was broad daylight. It was blurred as if it was
hidden in the middle of heat distortion, and it was covering ground at enormous speed. Gorman realized
that this chimera was making a beeline for the blissful meditator, who was completely unaware of what
was rapidly bearing down on him. Tom was about to yell a warning, but it was too late. The shimmering
wraithlike huge “thing” had stopped just inches from the meditator as it let out a deep-throated animal
roar that echoed around the ranch. The roar sounded half like a bear, half like a lion. Tom froze.
The stranger leaped back about ten feet and fell down. He began screaming. As fast as it had
approached, the shimmering, almost invisible “creature” departed for the tree line at top speed. Tom’s
sharp eyes could make out only a blur of dancing, flickering, wavy lines, like pixilated blocks. Within
seconds, the creature had vanished into the trees.
The visitor was on the ground, still screaming hysterically, and Tom hurried over to make sure he had not
been injured. Suddenly, the stranger jumped up and threw his arms around Tom, weeping like a baby.
He was obviously out of his mind with fear. Tom struggled to extricate himself, but the guy was big and
he was possessed of a strength borne of blind panic. He simply would not let go. After a few minutes,
Tom said quietly, “If you do not let go, I am going to hit you.”
“I will let go, if you promise to get me to my vehicle,” the stranger babbled. His ruddy face had turned
chalk white and it was obvious he felt the fear of God. Slowly, with the man still hanging on to him, Tom
made his way to the truck. His son started the engine and Tom, with his cargo of blubbering humanity,
climbed into the back seat. The stranger swore that this property was cursed and that he would never set
foot on it again. Of that, Tom was thankful.
Generated by ABC Amber LIT Converter, http://www.processtext.com/abclit.html
SDK application API:VB.NET PDF Convert to Jpeg SDK: Convert PDF to JPEG images in vb.
VB.NET How-to, VB.NET PDF, VB.NET Word, VB.NET Excel, VB.NET PowerPoint, VB.NET Tiff, VB.NET Imaging, VB.NET OCR, VB VB.NET PDF - Convert PDF to JPEG Using VB.
SDK application API:C# PDF Convert to HTML SDK: Convert PDF to html files in C#.net
converter library control is a 100% clean .NET document image solution, which is designed to help .NET developers convert PDF to HTML webpage using simple C#
They watched as the stranger drove erratically toward the gate. He was driving dangerously fast on the
rutted track and Tom hoped he would slow down once he got on the country road. Tad was still shaken.
That roar had penetrated to the very core of their being. It was like being shot with a bullet.
Some time later, as Tom and Tad were watching the moviePredator, in which Arnold Schwarzenegger
and Jesse Ventura battle an alien life-form in a jungle in Central America, they let out a loud yell when
they first saw the shimmering creature. “That’s what we saw,” they yelled in unison to the astonished
family. The predator in the movie seemed to exactly encapsulate the degree of camouflage of what they
had seen. Tom calculated that the thing they saw was moving at between fifty and sixty miles per hour
when it broke cover from the trees.
Again Tom wondered if his ranch had become a testing ground for advanced military equipment. Now
suddenly the list had expanded beyond high-tech aircraft and surgical derring-do to advanced camouflage
technology. But why would some kind of super tech advanced vehicle emit a roar? Was it possible that a
creature could have advanced camouflage capabilities? Like a chameleon taken to the next level? Tom
refused to dwell too deeply on what that creature might do if it decided to harm his family.
He already knew what the creature was capable of.
On one April evening in 1996, Tom sat outside, looking west and trying to relax. The beauty of this
property was undeniable, yet the family was feeling overwhelmed by the stress caused by the strange
phenomena. His three dogs sat contentedly beside him. Tom was grateful for such loyal dogs. All three
were heelers. They were gentle with the family but absolutely ruthless with strangers. They were also
aggressive cattle dogs. The cattle knew when to obey these animals, and he could rely on them to defend
his valuable, artificially inseminated breeders against the numerous coyotes, raccoons, and wild dogs that
moved through his property. All in all he was feeling almost content.
It had become a regular occurrence now to see a large orange something hovering slightly above the
cottonwood trees about a mile west of where he sat. It did not particularly concern him, as he had seen
these large orange things dozens of times before. Gorman had spent hours looking at them over time
through the rifle scope that he carried with him to enhance his already superb eyesight. Very occasionally,
Gorman had seen objects flying out of these orange things, as if they were windows into another
dimension. He had little understanding of the physics involved. All he knew was that he wished they
would go away.
Then he spotted an object in the distance at the far end of the pasture. The sight gave him a chill. A small
flash of intense blue. Tom straightened in his chair, all pretense at relaxation gone. The dogs also took
notice and began their low-pitched growls. He saw it again, and it was only three hundred yards away,
moving swiftly along the bottom of his pasture in a north-south direction. It was less than ten feet off the
ground. When it got to the southern end of his pasture, it abruptly turned and began flying in Tom’s
direction. He tensed. He could see it much more clearly now: a perfectly round, intense blue orb, bigger
than a baseball and capable of very sophisticated, intelligent maneuvers. He had seen them so many times
on his property before. And they usually signaled trouble. His dogs were barking. The object was now
less than a hundred yards away and it had changed direction again. It was moving north, parallel to
Tom’s position.
Without really thinking, he set his dogs loose. Usually he kept them beside him when these things were
flying around, but tonight he lost his patience. His three dogs took off at top speed in the direction of the
blue orb. It didn’t seem to react to their presence until the animals got much nearer. Then it dipped down
and descended until it was only a few feet off the ground. The three dogs began leaping at the object.
Generated by ABC Amber LIT Converter, http://www.processtext.com/abclit.html
SDK application API:C# PDF Convert to Word SDK: Convert PDF to Word library in C#.net
Using this PDF to Word converting library control, .NET developers can quickly convert PDF document to Word file using Visual C# code.
SDK application API:C# PDF Convert to SVG SDK: Convert PDF to SVG files in C#.net, ASP
C#.NET PDF SDK - Convert PDF to SVG in C#.NET. C# Programming Language to Render & Convert PDF to SVG Using C#.NET XDoc.PDF Converter Control.
They were snarling with jaws snapping. Each time the animals leaped at the orb, it skillfully moved out of
the way, the jaws missing sometimes only by inches.
This strange ritual began to play itself out. It was apparent that the dogs were becoming incensed with
this strange object that danced out of the way at the last moment but then dipped down again so that they
could lunge at it again. The intense blue orb seemed to be deliberately teasing the enraged dogs.
Tom was getting increasingly uneasy as the game of catch moved in the direction of a thick copse of
trees a couple hundred yards to his south. He sensed that the orbs seemed to be steering the dogs
toward the cover. A couple of minutes later the orb dipped to the ground and with almost languorous
speed flew slowly among the trees. The snarling, eager dogs gave chase. Suddenly, Gorman heard
sounds that chilled him to the bone: the unmistakable fear-filled yelps of dogs in mortal agony. Then an
eerie silence. Nothing moved. Tom waited for his animals to return. After a couple of hours, he went into
the homestead with a heavy heart. He decided not to look for them until morning.
His worst fears were realized when he went down the following morning to inspect the copse of trees. A
smell of burned flesh greeted his nostrils as he dipped his head beneath the low branches. Ten yards
inside was a small clearing. Tears filled Tom’s eyes. Three large circles of brown, dried-out grass were in
the middle of the clearing. At the center of each circle of shriveled vegetation was a blackish greasy mess.
The stink of his incinerated dogs was awful. Tom rushed out of the copse, his mouth dry and his stomach
Within hours, Tom had gathered his family and finally agreed, as they had insisted, to sell the ranch. The
ruthless killing of his favorite companions was the last straw for Tom, who after fighting an unseen,
unknown enemy, reluctantly surrendered. By July 1996, the family had had enough. None of them had
slept well for months. Now the Gormans finally understood the weird arrangement of dead bolts they had
found throughout the house a mere twenty months before.
The story of the Gorman ranch had hit the newspapers and it ricocheted around the country. It wasn’t
long before it caught the attention of one of the most powerful businessmen in North America and his
organization, the National Institute for Discovery Science.
Part II
The Investigation
Chapter 12
The National Institute for Discovery Science (NIDS) was an ambitious undertaking. Never before had a
scientific organization been created and, more important, funded in order to bring scientific rigor to what
was essentially paranormal research. When I saw the NIDS ad looking for interested scientists in the
prestigious journalScience, I leaped at the chance to do revolutionary science in an area where few
scientists had previously ventured. In answering the recruitment ad, the words of one of my postdoctoral
Generated by ABC Amber LIT Converter, http://www.processtext.com/abclit.html
mentors came to mind: “If you want to catch a big fish, the best way is to fish in waters that are
unpopulated by other fishermen.” Within a few months of joining this brand-new organization in the
summer of 1996, I began to see NIDS as a way to roll back the frontiers of discovery science while
working with some of the most brilliant people I had ever met.
In addition to the two PhD scientists working with me, NIDS had a world-class, multidisciplinary
advisory board that had been carefully hand-picked from an array of disciplines in mainstream science.
NIDS wanted to bring as broad a range of expertise and technology as possible to bear on UFOs and
other problems that mainstream science had thus far ignored. The study of so-called paranormal events
had always been starved of funding, and NIDS, which was started by Las Vegas real estate tycoon Bob
Bigelow, was designed to remedy that situation.
Shortly after NIDS staff was hired, we heard about what was happening on the Gorman ranch. The
opportunity it presented seemed ideal. The idea of a field station, or “laboratory in the wild,” that would
bring all NIDS resources to bear to study it gained traction and quickly came to fruition. Within a few
short weeks, NIDS bought the Gorman ranch in Utah.
The Gorman family was finally free to leave the property on which they had been held hostage for more
than eighteen months. They purchased a small ranch twenty-five miles away, and Ellen, Tom, and the
children quickly made it their home. At the time, they told me that they wouldn’t care if they never set
foot on their old ranch again. There was fear mixed with revulsion in their reaction. Three of the Gormans
were supremely happy to move on and to bring this part of their lives to a close.
But Tom Gorman was not quite ready to do so. He is a proud man and was outraged at being thrown
off his land by something he didn’t understand. In the space of eighteen to twenty months, someone or
something had killed or stolen fourteen registered cattle out of a herd of eighty animals, an attrition rate
approaching 20 percent. Each of the animals was worth a couple of thousand dollars. Economically, the
family was devastated. Even with such high-end cattle, the profit margin for ranching was slim. But in
addition to the financial losses, Gorman’s family had been reduced to barely surviving automatons
because of stress and sleep deprivation. Their kids’ grades had suffered drastically in school and they
were the butt of jokes in the community once the media took an active interest in their story.
Within a couple of weeks of the transfer of ownership, Tom decided to take a job as the NIDS ranch
manager to help us come to grips with who or what had run him off his land. NIDS purchased a few
dozen cows and Tom kept several more on the property to be used as bait. With remarkable
self-discipline, Gorman arrived at what had been his property every day. Once he had been owner, now
he was an employee. He took care of the animals, supervised the irrigation, mended the broken fences,
and joined the scientific teams on watches that sometimes lasted all night. On other nights, Tom returned
to his family. The pace was grueling for Tom. While his family rested, his stubborn refusal to allow the
phenomenon to get the best of him drove him onward. He was determined to find out more about what
had terrorized his family.
I will never forget my first sight of the ranch. The team had flown up in early September 1996 to
reconnoiter the area before moving the observation trailer/laboratory onto the property. It was a clear,
sunny day as we drove the narrow half-mile track that ends up at the homestead where the Gormans had
suffered so many sleepless nights. On our right, the red sandstone ridges jutted into the sky. I was struck
by the wildness and pastoral beauty of these Utah badlands.
When I first set foot on the ranch I had the unmistakable feeling that something was not quite right.
Generated by ABC Amber LIT Converter, http://www.processtext.com/abclit.html
Things were not what they seemed. Everything looked beautiful as Tom took us on the tour on that first
day. We briefly met Ellen and the kids. They looked exhausted, with white faces and dark-rimmed red
eyes. Only later would I learn from Tom the extent of the trauma that his family had suffered.
The ranch looked spectacularly gorgeous that day. The trees had not yet shed their blooms and the
cattle grazed peacefully in the fields. At the same time, in marked contrast to the serene environment, I
could not shake an eerie feeling. Was I being watched? As a scientist I immediately put this feeling down
to the hype and the expectation about the place, but as a human being I knew the feeling went deeper
than that. Needless to say, I did not mention it until much later.
Tom then took us on a tour. We began walking west, and the first stop brought us close to his fence line.
He showed us the carcasses of two of his neighbors’ cows that had gone missing a few days previously
and had just been found in unlikely positions beneath the barbed-wire fence that separated the two
properties. Even from fifty yards away, the air was heavy with the stench of decaying flesh. The sound of
thousands of buzzing flies as they landed in the open mouths, sightless eyes, and every available orifice
and exposed soft tissues of the carcasses was almost deafening.
The animals lay within thirty yards of each other with their heads under the wiring of the fence. The
NIDS veterinarian thought this was an unusual position for two animals to be in at death. There were few
signs of struggle near the stinking animals. We looked carefully around the vicinity, and there were no
As we approached the animals, I noticed movement and I was momentarily puzzled. At first it looked
like large white tarps or white plastic bags moving in the breeze near the cows’ bellies. As we got closer,
I realized that I was seeing a flowing river of millions of white, glistening maggots pouring from the
abdomens of both carcasses. Watching them was like seeing a single giant organism writhe and swivel in
and out of the abdominal cavities. Both cows had been dead about forty-eight hours, judging by the
number of maggots. Forensic scientists agree that generally it takes only a couple of minutes after death
for the first blowfly to land and lay eggs on the carcass of a dead animal. Within less than a day, the first
maggots appear. Meanwhile, more blowflies quickly find the dead animal and rapidly repeat the
egg-laying process. At the same time, the gas from the fermenting grass inside the rumen of the cow
begins to expand and bloat the belly. In the high heat and high humidity of the Utah summer, this process
happens very quickly. It is never a good idea to prod or kick the swollen, bloated abdomen of a dead
cow. You might cause an extremely unpleasant and smelly explosion.
Whether these two animals had died of natural or other causes was open to question since no obvious
tissues were missing and the animals were far too decomposed to gain any biologically useful information
from a necropsy. I was thankful for my previous experience of being around dead cows, during my
experimental work on cattle in a lab in France and on another stint at a large animal facility in Ottawa,
Canada. But the physicist who accompanied us on the tour was not so fortunate. A career of writing
software for NASA deep-space missions had not prepared him for an up close and personal encounter
with a thousand pounds of putrid, maggot-infested flesh. Within seconds, his face was turning a deep
shade of gray and I noticed his vain efforts to disguise the retching in the back of his throat.
Tom took us to a small clearing about a hundred yards west of the two dead cows. Even at this
distance, the acrid smell still wafted on the slight breeze. Behind a few trees, we came upon three circles
of very dried grass. All around the twenty-foot-diameter circles of the desiccated grass, tall healthy green
grass flourished in three-foot-high swathes. This is where Tom’s three dogs had been incinerated, he
explained, still plainly upset by the memory.
As we walked on, Tom pointed out the remains of two more cows that he said had been mutilated
Generated by ABC Amber LIT Converter, http://www.processtext.com/abclit.html
several months previously. A shell of weathered, tanned hide surrounded both carcasses. Each animal’s
bones were plainly visible, but their rear ends were missing. Since it was months after the fact, no useful
information about the manner of their death could be ascertained. Tom explained that it had taken far
longer than usual for the two carcasses to decompose. Usually, with the kind of temperatures and
humidity in northeastern Utah, the carcasses would be bones within a few weeks. But it had taken almost
a year to reduce these animals to this condition. Tom asked the veterinarian with us what could have
slowed the rate of decomposition. The veterinarian shrugged. Perhaps a dramatic decrease in
temperature, or a chemical had killed off the putrefying bacteria. Neither seems very likely. It was easier
to believe that Tom had got his facts wrong. This was not to be the last time that NIDS would
underestimate what Tom told us. We walked on.
Five hundred yards west, he showed us two circular, deep holes in the ground where soil had been
removed. Tom had found several of these deep indentations, usually following a night of flying lights. The
holes were about a foot deep and several feet in diameter. They sloped downward from the edges. I
guessed that two or three hundred pounds of soil would have had to be removed from the ground in
order to make those holes. I asked Tom if he had found soil nearby. He shook his head. He explained
that the first time he had seen the holes, they had perfectly straight sides, as if a giant cookie cutter had
dug in and removed the soil and grass. Over time, he explained, weathering and rain had blurred the
precise cuts of the holes. Now, with grass beginning to grow, the holes looked obvious, but less than
The NIDS plan was a simple one. Before anything could be accomplished, a validation process had to
occur. A science team needed to personally experience the anomalous events. In other words, they had
to see anomalous phenomena with their own eyes. That was the first order of business. We estimated
that this phase would take a few weeks or months. Little did we know.
Chapter 13
Adramatic change occurred at the Gorman ranch in the fall of 1996. The hunter became the hunted. The
phenomenon was suddenly confronted not with a family but with a scientific team whose primary
motivation was not fear but curiosity. This was a significant turn of events for something—whatever it
was—that had, for all intents and purposes, been in charge for several years. Now it was no longer in
But how exactly would the scientific team carry out this highly unusual research? There were two sides
to the issue. One camp argued for full instrumentation and to cover every square yard of the property
with automated sensors that would constantly feed back data. The other camp argued that less is more,
that too much equipment, too much activity, might even be detrimental. That was Tom Gorman’s point of
Tom believed that too much activity and technology was guaranteed to drive the phenomenon into
hiding. He thought the NIDS group should set up a command post in nearby Roosevelt or Vernal and
silently and surreptitiously creep onto the property at night while disturbing as few geographical
landmarks as possible. “This phenomenon needs to be hunted like a wild animal,” he told me on
numerous occasions. “Maybe even a very smart big game animal.”
Generated by ABC Amber LIT Converter, http://www.processtext.com/abclit.html
Tom also recommended a stealth method for obtaining video footage of the mysterious flying activity that
haunted the ranch. He used to sneak out of his house after dark, armed with an old manual video
recorder that contained as few electronics as possible. Slowly and painstakingly, often on his stomach, he
would make his way down to a vantage point where the weird floating lights were often seen. That spot
was about two-thirds of a mile west of his house. Like an expert hunter, he would wriggle along the
ground while taking care not to break any branches or twigs, and he would remain in the same place for
twenty minutes if he thought he had made the slightest noise. Sometimes he would take hours to arrive at
a good location where he could observe and listen.
Tom told me he had lain almost frozen in ditches for hours while he waited to catch a few minutes of
activity on videotape. Though only marginally successful, he did see numerous quietly floating lights of all
shapes and sizes during these nightly forays. Tom assured me his methods were successful and had
produced results, and this proved to him that whatever was terrorizing him was not necessarily
omnipotent. Or maybe it was just playing with him. Maybe it could see him perfectly and was just reeling
him in like a fish. Tom said he never really knew.
Whether to deploy more or less equipment and personnel was a hotly discussed issue within NIDS.
There was little precedent on which to base our decision. Some members of the team researched the two
best-known areas where scientific equipment had been deployed to study strange phenomena: Project
Hessdalen in Norway and Gulf Breeze in Florida.
The Hessdalen Valley lies in central Norway and has been the site of numerous unexplained lights for
decades. In 1984, engineer Erling Strand and others carried out a thirty-six-day instrumented coverage
of the area. A magnetometer, a radio spectrum analyzer, a seismograph, cameras (some with dispersion
gratings), a Geiger counter, an infrared viewer, and a laser were deployed in the area for about seven
weeks as a “pilot” experiment. This short experiment established that the Hessdalen phenomenon was
The major finding was a correlation between the appearance of luminous phenomena and magnetic
perturbations. Attempts at obtaining line spectra through diffraction grating analysis were unsuccessful,
although fifty-three visually witnessed occurrences of unexplained lights happened and a few photographs
were taken. This initial success was then translated into an expanded and automated set of measurement
In the 1990s, under the guidance of Erling Strand and Bjorn Gitle Hauge, who by then were assistant
professors at Østfold College in Sarpsborg, a real-time automated observatory, dubbed the Automated
Measurement Station (AMS), was designed and built. Beginning in 1998, the AMS was deployed in the
Hessdalen Valley. The AMS was equipped with automatic wide-angle and zoom video cameras able to
monitor the phenomenon in real time, as well as a radar transponder and a magnetometer. During five
years of operation, the AMS recorded an extremely valuable statistical variation of the lights, and it
indicated that the lights were not from any mundane man-made source.
Early on, there were indications of correlations among sunspot activity, geomagnetic storms, and the
appearance of the lights, although subsequent, more intensive analysis ruled out that correlation. The
phenomenon was recorded more often in winter and between the hours of 10P.M. and 1A.M.
“However,” the study author noted, “these statistics…did not lead to an understanding of the origin or
nature of the phenomenon.”
Project EMBLA (Electro Magnetic Behavior of Luminous Anomalies) followed. EMBLA was a joint
mission of Italian radio astronomy groups, the Italian National Research Council, and the Norwegian
Generated by ABC Amber LIT Converter, http://www.processtext.com/abclit.html
Documents you may be interested
Documents you may be interested