team. The aim was to expand the instrumentation, and three missions were deployed to the Hessdalen
Valley. Thus, in August 2000, the Norwegian AMS station in Hessdalen was equipped with an additional
set of automated instruments from the Italian group. These included a VLF-ELF (very low
frequency–extremely low frequency) correlation receiver and spectrometer; a VLF Inspire receiver; two
spectrometers; (Sentinel 1 and Sentinel 2), both centered at 1420 MHz (this frequency is used in
astrophysical and SETI studies); and a wide-band antenna connected to a spectrum analyzer. All
instruments in the Italian package were computer controlled. Data was recorded continuously and
automatically and stored on CDROMs.
“The global picture of the phenomenon obtained so far,” the Norwegian-Italian collaborative project
concluded, “shows that the phenomenon’s radiant power varies, reaching values up to 19kW. These
changes are caused by the sudden surface variations of the illuminated area owing to the appearance of
clusters of light balls that behave in a thermally self-regulated way. Apparent characteristics consistent
with a solid are strongly suspected from the study of distributions of radiant power. Other anomalous
characteristics include the capability to eject smaller light balls, some unidentified frequency shift in VLF
range, and possible deposition of metallic particles.”
But the bottom line of Project EMBLA was the same: “A self-consistent definitive theory of the
phenomenon’s nature and origin in all its aspects cannot be constructed yet quantitatively, but some of the
observations can be explained by an electro-chemical model for the ball lightning phenomenon.” A rough,
albeit less elegantly phrased, translation of the above statement could be: “We don’t know what the hell
is going on.”
As the chief field research scientist at NIDS (members of the esteemed science advisory board were
usually not part of the field research teams, although they participated on occasion), I and others spent
hours discussing the Hessdalen project with Erling Strand and his group. What emerged is glaringly
absent from the scientific discussion of the Hessdalen instrumentation packages and research program.
When I asked him, “What do the local residents of the Hessdalen Valley experience?” Erling answered
that there were multiple reports of bizarre encounters with UFOs, and reports of abductions and other
odd events had been commonplace in the valley for decades. The engineers in the AMS project had little
motivation or interest in pursuing this angle. They focused, quite rightly, on perfecting the ability to
measure these phenomena, not delving into the phenomenology and sociology of the reports. But I
wonder if the locals might not have provided the group with fresh insight into what was going on in the
valley. There was obviously an unbridgeable gulf separating the engineers and their instrumentation from
the soft squishy stories with no physical evidence of abductions, “huge triangular” craft, UFO lore,
strange creatures, etc. In August 2004, Project Hessdalen was suspended due to financial difficulties.
Gulf Breeze is the other hot spot that received scientific attention for a brief period of time. An
unprecedented series of sightings took place in this town on the Florida panhandle between November
1990 and July 1992. “During that time,” reported physicist Bruce Maccabee, “the Gulf Breeze Research
Team (GBRT) logged about 170 sightings, most of which involved multiple witnesses and most of which
included still photography with telephoto lenses and/or recording by video cameras. In several cases a
light was observed simultaneously by two separated groups of people thereby allowing for triangulation.
In one case infrared sensitive film detected a change in the output radiation from a light and in another
case a diffraction grating was used to obtain a spectrum of a Bubba UFO [the unknown flying thing got
its name when the Skywatchers in Gulf Breeze kept shouting, “Look over there, Bubba!”] and also the
spectrum of a red road flare. The spectra were found to be different.”
The sightings at Gulf Breeze continued for a few months and provoked enough interest that a UFO
detection van was assembled in Canada and the United States by a private engineering firm. The van
rolled into Gulf Breeze, and a few nights later, the activity stopped. Only a couple of anomalous magnetic
Generated by ABC Amber LIT Converter,
Conversion of pdf to ppt online - SDK application API:C# Create PDF from PowerPoint Library to convert pptx, ppt to PDF in, ASP.NET MVC, WinForms, WPF
Online C# Tutorial for Creating PDF from Microsoft PowerPoint Presentation
Conversion of pdf to ppt online - SDK application API:VB.NET Create PDF from PowerPoint Library to convert pptx, ppt to PDF in, ASP.NET MVC, WinForms, WPF
VB.NET Tutorial for Export PDF file from Microsoft Office PowerPoint
field measurements were made before the UFO activity terminated. The attempt to instrument the area
was eventually aborted because of a lack of activity.
The full impact of these studies would elude us for several years.
In early September 1996, the NIDS team, which was then composed of a physicist, a
veterinarian—both of whom do not want their names revealed—and myself, moved into an observation
trailer that had been rapidly deployed on the property. We had begun to execute our plan—against
Tom’s better judgment. Our aim was to gather data in the electromagnetic and magnetic regions, as well
as a visible UV spectrum of any UFO lights. To accomplish this, over the course of the next few months
we assembled a light-gathering device with a Fresnel lens. This large-diameter lens was designed to focus
light onto an optic fiber, which in turn fed directly into a portable handheld spectrometer purchased from
Ocean Optics. The spectrometer was literally palm-sized and was linked to a laptop computer. This
immensely portable station was ideal for investigating different areas of the ranch and was used to gather
real-time spectra in UV and visible ranges. The spectra were then stored on the laptop to be analyzed as
needed. In addition to this, the team had a very portable assortment of night-vision binoculars, video
cameras (with night-vision attachments), radio frequency analyzers, microwave detectors, etc. We also
hired a couple of additional investigators.
In the early phase of the NIDS project, two teams were deployed on the property every night. The
teams communicated with Motorola walkie-talkies. Each team had at least one scientist and one or two
investigators. The teams’ mandate was to capture evidence of any unusual events on videotape and
cameras. This way the data, if any, could be impartially scrutinized and critiqued by the fifteen-member
Science Advisory Board. During this initial start-up phase, the advisory board regularly flew into Las
Vegas for intensive two-day briefings by the scientific field staff.
On September 16, 1996, at about 1:30A.M. , the team had moved into the observation trailer to take a
break, when out of the window somebody spotted a light over the cottonwood trees at the west end of
the ranch. I was there with Tom and two scientists. The light was so bright that we at first thought it might
be a flare. It hovered for about ten minutes above the distant tree line, moved down out of sight, and then
back up. We all agreed that the behavior and the appearance of the light were unlike any aircraft,
helicopter, flare, star, or planet. In short, the object was unidentified. Cameras, night-vision devices, and
digital video images did little to resolve the distant light. We took several photos that showed nothing but
a tiny distant light.
Nevertheless, the appearance of this distant object was cause for excitement among the science crew.
Though it was a good distance away, it was definitely unidentified. And it was a tiny first step on the road
to confirming what Tom had been seeing. But we agreed that the sighting, although unexplained, was also
profoundly mundane. It did not really qualify as an independent validation of Tom’s observations as
defined by the NIDS plan. The sighting did serve as an excellent morale booster, however, and the night
watches were redoubled.
We felt we were ready for anything.
Chapter 14
Cat and Mouse
Generated by ABC Amber LIT Converter,
SDK application API:Online Convert PowerPoint to PDF file. Best free online export
by clicking on the blue button or drag-and-drop your pptx or ppt file into Then just wait until the conversion from Powerpoint to PDF is complete
SDK application API:How to C#: Convert PDF, Excel, PPT to Word
How to C#: Convert PDF, Excel, PPT to Word. Online C# Tutorial for Converting PDF, MS-Excel, MS-PPT to Word. PDF, MS-Excel, MS-PPT to Word Conversion Overview.
Week after week during October and November of 1996, the team flew from Las Vegas to Utah to
conduct night watches and to begin the process of interviewing locals in the area. The Ute Indians were
very cooperative and gracious. It turned out that several tribe members had multiple experiences with
weird flying objects in the previous decades. In other words, what had happened on the ranch was not
isolated. It was a part of an overall pattern.
NIDS personnel also interviewed neighbors who were not Native Americans and found them polite but
reserved. After several weeks of visits, they began to talk. They had experienced the same thing as their
Ute neighbors had. The ranches bordering on what was now the NIDS property had had their fair share
of weird activity, so whatever was going on at the ranch was also common in the area. In the early
months of this project, NIDS assembled a library of dozens of tape-recorded interviews from local basin
residents about strange events that had occurred over the years near the ranch, including cattle mutilations
and sightings of multiple colored balls of light and a large triangular-shaped object.
Few locals were willing to talk about these experiences on the record, however. One neighbor, whom
we will call Mr. Gonsalez, explained how he lost many cattle over the years. Back in 1995, he
remembered finding a recumbent cow lying out in a field where she shouldn’t have been. The rest of the
animals were in a field nearby and there were no broken fence lines. The old rancher described going out
to his eight-year-old cow and finding that she had two broken legs. Alarmed, he ran back inside to get a
blanket to cover the shivering animal. The cow was obviously suffering and in shock. He suspected he
might have to put her down.
Gonsalez was astonished when he returned with the blanket five minutes later to discover that the animal
was gone. He looked everywhere but couldn’t find her. The field was an open pasture with no rocks or
trees behind which an animal could hide. Yet in the space of a few minutes, in daylight, a cow with two
broken legs had vanished. An hour later he looked out his window. It was now afternoon. He told me he
nearly fainted when he saw the cow lying in the same field but about fifty yards from her original position.
He ran out to the suffering animal and examined her closely. This time all four legs were broken. He ran
inside to get his gun and quickly put the poor animal out of its misery. After thinking long and hard about
this bizarre incident, Gonsalez concluded that the animal must have twice been lifted into some aircraft
and twice been dropped into the field. Each time two of her legs had been broken. This was the only
explanation that seemed to fit the facts. We didn’t argue with him.
In our many hours of conversation, Gonsalez and his family related dozens of odd incidents to us. These
incidents, though they differed from the Gormans’ own, convinced us that the ranch was by no means a
unique piece of real estate in the area. The family told us about strange Mexican-hat-shaped flying
objects that flew and hovered over the ridge a mere hundred yards from their home. Mrs. Gonsalez told
us that she was returning one night from the small town of Fort Duchesne, when she saw a fast-moving
silvery object that rapidly descended in the direction of the red-rock ridge near her home. The object
accelerated as it neared the ground, and she waited fearfully for the explosion that would surely engulf
her. Instead, the silvery aircraft smoothly flew into the ridge as if it didn’t exist. She told her family about
it when she returned home.
On the evening of November 10, 1996, my phone rang. It was Tom Gorman. The NIDS team was due
to return to Utah the next day for yet another stint of stargazing by night and patrolling the ranch and
interviewing locals by day. In his usual gruff but very precise way, Tom described what had just
happened to him. He was knocking off work when he saw three yellow-colored headlights flying in close
formation only a few feet off the ground near the southwestern border of the property. Cattle were rarely
Generated by ABC Amber LIT Converter,
SDK application API:C# PDF Convert: How to Convert MS PPT to Adobe PDF Document
merge PDF files, VB.NET view PDF online, VB.NET PDF Convert: How to Convert MS PPT to Adobe Provide Free Demo Code for PDF Conversion from Microsoft PowerPoint
SDK application API:C# Tiff Convert: How to Convert PDF, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Jpeg
can perform rapid and high quality file conversion between PPT and PDF PDF to Tiff Conversion. transform and convert Tiff image file to Adobe PDF document, then
grazed there. The lights looked like those he had seen countless times before.
Early the next morning, the NIDS scientific team was in the air, on the way to Utah to investigate the
phenomena. Tom met us, and immediately we trekked through the dense vegetation to the spot where he
was sure the object had been. We had with us an array of small portable detectors. The team, as
planned, split up and began quartering the several-hundred-square-yard desert looking for any tracks or
anything out of the ordinary. We spent several hours doing it but saw nothing. At the same time we
scanned the fine sandy soil in scores of places for any traces of nuclear radiation, for any magnetic field
signatures. We found nothing. Wearily, we returned to the observation lab. That night we deployed in
one area for several hours, then gave up and deployed on the eastern end of the property for several
more hours. We saw nothing.
Three nights later, on November 13, at 1:30A.M. , I was deployed with one member of the scientific
team close to the observation trailer. We had been watching the area for several hours. Another team
was deployed down at the western end of the ranch. We communicated by walkie-talkies only when
absolutely necessary. We were both looking at the night sky when suddenly, out of nowhere, a silent,
bright yellow light came speeding out of the night from over the lip of the ridge. It was moving as fast as a
high-speed jet aircraft but made no sound.
As we watched in shock, the object did a perfect 360-degree circle right over us, again in complete
silence, and then zoomed rapidly north. As it headed back over the ridge, I managed to quickly take a
couple of photographs. In seconds the flying mystery was gone. The photos, later developed, only
showed a dimly visible, blurry light. The fast, silent object had caught us unawares and departed before
we could spring into action. Nevertheless, the sighting by two members of the scientific team represented
a validation. But again, the event was much too transient for any meaningful interpretation. At night it is
extremely difficult to accurately estimate either altitude or distance, and this object proved no exception.
The snows then came to Utah. The NIDS team stayed on regular night watches until the end of
November and then, as the temperature dropped below zero, we returned to Nevada and remained on
call. December 1996 passed without event and northeastern Utah entered into a deep freeze. We had
telephone briefings and conversations with Tom at least weekly. Because of the extreme temperatures, he
had pulled all cattle except a few calves in the corral off the ranch and was feeding them at an indoor
facility. Tom told us to keep away until the temperature started climbing up again in March.
But on January 21, 1997, something very strange happened. Tom called us the next day and reported
injuries to the ear and eyes of three calves in the corral near the observation trailer. The injuries occurred
during an intense snowstorm when the temperature was about 30 below, too cold even for predators,
Tom assured us. We told him to call the local veterinarian and take some photos.
The photos showed three small pathetic calves huddled in the thirty-below weather. One had an ear cut
up as if with pinking shears. The other two had small round holes punctured in their eyelids. Because of
extreme weather conditions, and the vets’ reluctance to venture out at thirty below, it took Tom about
twenty-four hours to get qualified medical examiners to the ranch.
When they finally arrived, one veterinarian said the wounds were strange and unlike anything he had seen
before. This vet agreed with Tom—predators would not conduct attacks on livestock in a corral at thirty
below. The second, more senior, veterinarian overruled him and insisted that it was a simple coyote or
cat attack. The idea of coyotes or cats attacking calves in a corral next to a homestead in the middle of a
snowstorm at thirty below struck Tom as comical.
A heated discussion took place in private between the two professionals. When the two men returned,
Generated by ABC Amber LIT Converter,
SDK application API:How to C#: Convert Word, Excel and PPT to PDF
to C#: Convert Word, Excel and PPT to PDF. Online C# Tutorial for Converting MS Office Word, Excel and PowerPoint to PDF. MS Office to PDF Conversion Overview.
SDK application API:C# TIFF: Learn to Convert MS Word, Excel, and PPT to TIFF Image
C# TIFF - Conversion from Word, Excel, PPT to TIFF. Learn How to Change MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint to TIFF Image File in C#. Overview
the older vet simply said that a predator attack had occurred and to keep an eye out for further attacks.
The younger kept silent and tight-lipped. “Welcome to the ambiguities in the veterinarian profession as
they are forced to deal with anomalous injuries and deaths to animals,” Tom told us. “The majority of
vets want nothing whatever to do with cattle mutilations, unexplained injuries to animals, or anything that
might provoke gossip in the local community that might, in turn, adversely affect their business.” But as
we gained more experience in dealing with vets, it became obvious that a small minority were willing to
follow the data, even at the risk of ridicule from their peers.
On February 21, Tom brought his cattle back onto the ranch. He had told us that the act of bringing his
cattle onto the property for the first time, back a couple of years ago, seemed to trigger an escalation of
anomalous activity. So the NIDS team was expectant, waiting for the penny to drop. We did not have
long to wait.
On March 10, I was working on a project in the corporate office in downtown Las Vegas when Tom
phoned. I could tell by the edge in his voice that he was very disturbed. “They got a newborn calf,” he
said hoarsely. “We were close by and we didn’t see or hear a damn thing.” Tom was one of the most
collected, together people I had ever met, and here he was close to babbling. As I tried to calm him
down, the story came out. One of his valuable Black Angus calves had just been dismembered in broad
I had a gut feeling that this might be one of those cases we were waiting for. I immediately made the
necessary arrangements and less than ninety minutes later a private jet was waiting on the tarmac at
McCarran Airport to whisk us to northern Utah. No other group of scientists investigating the paranormal
had a private jet at their disposal. Most of them couldn’t even afford to rent a car for the weekend.
Chapter 15
The Killing
Hunched in the plane at thirty-five thousand feet, I looked out the window at the rolling clouds below
and wondered what we were getting into. The aircraft hummed as we sped toward Vernal. There were
three of us—the veterinarian, the physicist, and myself. We had all the equipment we needed, including all
the knives and scalpels necessary to further dismember the animal during a necropsy.
Just five hours after Tom’s frantic phone call, we were standing over the animal. The late afternoon
breeze blew gently, but an early spring sun was still warm on my face. We were looking at a scene of
horror. I felt a churning in my stomach as I looked at the creature. This was something truly bizarre. My
immediate impression was that an enormous force had ripped the animal apart. One of the leg bones was
lying ten feet away, having been yanked free of the knee joint. Even with a young calf, the brute force
necessary to rip a femur off a knee joint and snap a tendon suggested something very powerful.
Yet there was a fastidious delicacy to the way the mutilated calf had been carefully laid out on the grass
with all four legs spread neatly away from the body. I had a momentary image of a huge amorphous
creature carefully laying a limp rag doll on the grass and gently placing each of the lifeless limbs away
from the torso, arranged with the finesse and attention to detail of a Japanese tea ceremony. I shuddered
and banished the image from my mind. The combination of overwhelming force in ripping the calf apart
and dainty precision in laying the body on the grass seemed all wrong. It disturbed me.
There was no smell. The inside of the animal looked pink and tender, very healthy and very clean, almost
Generated by ABC Amber LIT Converter,
SDK application API:VB.NET PowerPoint: Convert & Render PPT into PDF Document
This VB.NET PowerPoint to PDF conversion tutorial will illustrate our effective PPT to PDF converting control SDK from following aspects.
SDK application API:VB.NET PowerPoint: Complete PowerPoint Document Conversion in VB.
to use our VB.NET PowerPoint Conversion Control to image or document formats, such as PDF, BMP, TIFF documents that can be converted from PPT document, please
unnaturally clean. All of the internal organs were gone and the broken ribs jutted forlornly toward the sky.
The head lay sideways, its lifeless eyes staring toward the western sun now low in the sky. We estimated
that this was an eighty-four-pound calf, at least forty pounds of which were gone, if you counted its three
liters of blood.
And this was the most chilling part of the scene—the complete lack of blood. It was as if a giant vacuum
cleaner had gone through, in, and around the calf’s carcass and sucked up every drop of its blood. We
looked for even a speck of blood on the grass or on the animal’s hide. Nothing. Not a drop. We looked
at each other in stunned silence.
We ignored the temptation to scan the snow-covered perimeter of the pasture for something unworldly
that still lurked out there and instead, with a tightness in our guts, went to work. We videotaped the crime
scene and scanned the animal and the surrounding ground for magnetic and electric traces, for
radio/microwave residue, and, for the hell of it, for nuclear radiation. No one knew who or what did this
to the calf, so we thought we might as well check for everything.
I gently drew Tom aside. His normally ruddy face was the color of chalk. “Take me through it, step by
step,” I said. He tried cracking jokes about maybe a coyote with a scalpel had done it, but I could tell his
heart was not into making jokes. He walked me to where he had tagged the calf just a few feet away,
then walked me the couple of hundred yards to the west when about forty minutes later their snarling dog
had given them the first hint that something was wrong.
“No noise,” Tom said to himself, shaking his head in bewilderment. The blue heeler had still not shown
up and it was now six hours later. “He just took off that way,” Tom said, pointing west. “It’s just not like
him.” He rubbed his eyes wearily. No more than forty minutes had passed in daylight, during which
someone or something had entered the field, ripped the young calf away from its mother (she looked like
she was still limping), drained it of blood, meat, and guts, and then carefully placed it on the grass. It just
did not seem possible.
I looked at the calf’s mother. She was standing a hundred feet away, her head down near the ground in
a peculiar stance that exuded both aggression and fear. She was still breathing in a labored way. She
never came closer as the veterinarian quickly stripped her calf’s hide. An abrupt muttered exclamation
caught my attention. “Look at the sharp cut,” the vet exclaimed. “The ear was cut off with a knife or a
scalpel.” He was right.
Tom nodded and said, “That ear had a big yellow plastic tag.” Looking closely, I saw the perfect
incision where the cartilage and skin had been sliced. The whole ear had been cleanly removed to the
skull. It was a beautiful, almost artistic, job. Even without lab pathology results, we all knew there was no
way a predator or scavenger could have pulled this off. The cut was perfect and straight and had sliced
cleanly through the tissue. One can easily spot the difference between the characteristic torn or ripped
cattle hide of a predator or scavenger attack and the sharp cut of a scalpel or a knife when you look
under a microscope. And here, even to the naked eye, this was obviously the work of a sharp instrument.
The vet took samples just to make sure.
We watched silently as the vet finished the necropsy. He put the last bits of hide into labeled Ziploc bags
for lab analysis. We carefully placed the torn femur into a plastic bag for forensic analysis. I looked
around at the beautiful scenery and marveled that such an act of extreme violence could have taken place
a few short hours ago in these pristine surroundings. Visibility through the trees and bushes on the
perimeter of the large field was good, as the spring growth had not yet begun. Tom had told me this was
only the second day of the thaw after winter. I scanned the entire perimeter over a hundred yards away.
Nothing moved. To the north lay a ridge of reddish clay, probably weathered sandstone. The western
Generated by ABC Amber LIT Converter,
SDK application API:VB.NET PowerPoint: PPTX to SVG Conversion; Render PPT to Vector
add-on allows developers to perform high-quality PPT (.pptx) to svg conversion in both to provide powerful & profession imaging controls, PDF document, tiff
perimeter of the pasture of the field was maybe three hundred yards away.
Before the light dimmed, we organized into groups and quartered the grass, looking for any footprints or
vehicle tracks. The hard ground crunched underneath as we walked. The herd of all-black cattle kept
their distance. They, too, were obviously disturbed. We agreed that the hard-packed grass could maybe
have hidden some footprints but definitely not vehicle tracks. Tom watched us in bemused silence. He
seemed relieved to have some company. Occasionally, we glanced nervously toward the perimeter to
see if there was anything that shouldn’t be there. We stopped our search as darkness fell.
As we returned to the science observation trailer less than a hundred yards from where the animal had
been torn apart, we passed the three dog kennels. I could see all three animals huddled inside. One
whimpered softly. “They haven’t come out all day, even for food or water,” Tom muttered. This was
unusual behavior for three aggressive dogs that were used to roaming the land and fending off the coyotes
and wild dogs that routinely passed through. And his other blue heeler still had not returned, now more
than twelve hours later. In fact, Gorman would never see the animal again.
We spent the following day tracking the entire pasture, looking for any evidence, especially the big bright
yellow tag from the calf’s ear. We had summoned a professional tracker, who was due to arrive from
Montana in a couple of days.
On the evening of March 12 we gathered in the observation trailer again to discuss the incident. The
dogs had finally come out of their kennels but they were keeping close to us and the trailer. Even to my
untrained eye, they had a hunted look. They were plainly still traumatized by whatever had passed
“Cattle are even more jumpy than yesterday,” Tom observed. He was worried. The behavior of the
dogs and the cattle suggested that something was lurking nearby. Tom talked repeatedly about the
possibility of a predator on the loose. He simply couldn’t fathom how somebody with equipment,
including sharp instruments, could have pulled off this killing, with both him and his wife only a few
hundred yards away. All of us knew from experience that Tom had uncannily sharp eyes and a keen
sense of hearing.
Then, shortly after 11P.M. , all dogs suddenly started howling and barking hysterically. Tom, the
physicist, and I leaped to our feet and ran out the door and into the cold clear night. We headed for
Tom’s old beat-up truck. On the driver’s side, Tom had affixed a powerful spotlight that was easily
maneuverable. He normally drove through his cattle at night during calving season, lighting up the animals
as he drove. The powerful spot was excellent for seeing from a distance whether a cow or a calf was in
The truck engine roared as we bounced over the ruts. There were cattle here and there, some were
milling nervously in the distance, some appeared oblivious. The animals seemed to be bunched toward
the northern part of the giant pasture. On one of the turns, the headlights swept over a large black
shadow standing in the southeastern tree line of the field. It was only a fleeting glimpse of what looked
like a large cow, standing in the shadow beneath a large tree at the edge of the field, but far away from
the rest of the herd.
“Must be in trouble,” Tom grunted, as he swung the truck away from the main herd and headed south.
The perimeter was about eighty yards away when the bouncing headlights suddenly picked up two large
orbs of yellow light staring fixedly from the same large tree. “Did you see that?” two of us said in unison.
Tom gunned the engine and, as the headlights danced crazily in front of us, we could now clearly see that
the reflected yellow light came from the eyes of a huge animal probably twenty feet off the ground,
Generated by ABC Amber LIT Converter,
perched in the tree.
“I’m not goin’ to let him get another calf,” Tom snarled as he suddenly ground the truck to a halt and
reached behind for his rifle. We were no more than fifty yards from the large creature that lay motionless,
almost casually, in the tree. The only indication of the beast’s presence was the penetrating yellow light of
the unblinking eyes as they stared fixedly back into the light.
This is unusual behavior, I thought as Tom steadied the rifle on the open door of the truck. Shouldn’t it
be running away? The rifle’s sharp report rang out, and instantly, like a light being snapped off, the eyes
“Got him,” yelled Tom triumphantly. “I saw him fall to the ground.” We scrambled back into the truck
and Tom stopped about forty feet from the tree. There was no sign of the large creature under or near
the tree. We split up and searched for any sight or sound of the wounded or dead beast. Thirty yards to
my left Gorman suddenly yelled, “I see him.” The shout was quickly followed by two loud reports from
his rifle. “Got him at point blank,” Gorman yelled as we jumped excitedly over the fence into the thick
undergrowth. The snow crunched loudly underfoot as we stumbled around looking for some sign of it.
We were cautious because a large, wounded animal was especially dangerous at night.
I was still carrying my video camera as we warily looked all around, half expecting something to spring
at us from the darkness. But there was utter silence.
“He jumped back here when I hit him,” Tom said as he scratched his head in puzzlement. “I was no
more than forty feet away. Where’d he go? That sucker must have weighed four hundred pounds.”
We began quartering the area, looking at the snow for tracks. Something that big should have left an
obvious trail in the snow and there should have been blood. It was then that I saw it—a single, obvious
oval track about six inches in diameter embedded deeply in the patch of snow. I yelled at the other two,
who came running. I shone the flashlight, and there it was. It looked unusual: a single large print in the
snow with two sharp claws protruding from the rear of the mark going a couple of inches deeper. It
almost looked like a bird of prey, maybe a raptor print, but huge and, from the depth of the print, from a
very heavy creature. I began videotaping, as the physicist unsteadily held the flashlight while looking over
his shoulder, waiting for a large wounded animal to charge us.
Minutes ticked by as we searched in vain for a companion print. We found another one in an area of
unmelted snow about twenty feet from the first, but nothing else. We listened carefully for any movement
in the undergrowth as we searched. There was an eerie silence in the area, broken only by the distant
bellowing of the cows over on the other side of the pasture. They were still deeply disturbed by the
commotion we had generated and were not coming over to investigate.
Almost two hours later, we gave up, exhausted, cold, and still slightly jangled from the brief burst of
adrenaline. Again there was an unspoken shudder at the idea of sleeping in the trailer a mere hundred
yards from where the bizarre creature or creatures had apparently vanished into thin air, having been shot
with a high-powered rifle. It was time to call an end to another busy day on the Skinwalker Ranch.
The next day we compared notes and debriefed Tom on what had happened. He swore that there had
been two large animals, one in the tree and the other on the ground. He also swore that he had hit both
animals, the first with a single bullet, the second with two bullets. Tom was an expert marksman, able to
kill a coyote at five hundred yards, and he had shot both of these large animals at close range. He
described the second animal that crouched in the undergrowth as huge, heavily muscled, and looking like
a four-hundred-pound wild dog. The animal had been staring at him and had tensed just before springing
Generated by ABC Amber LIT Converter,
when Tom had shot it twice from no more than forty feet. Yet no signs of blood and two confusing
distant single tracks in the snow added to, rather than solved, the mystery.
The incidents of March 10–12, 1997, were very difficult to explain. They were certainly verification of
unusual or anomalous activity, but did they fit the criteria that NIDS was looking for? Those criteria
initially had been defined as the verification of events first described by Gorman, the witnessing of
unidentified flying objects by the scientists, and their capture on camera or video images. The bizarre
killing of the calf and the potentially deadly nighttime encounter with phantom creatures that were shot but
left no blood and few tracks did not appear to fulfill the criteria of anything that could be reported at a
scientific meeting. Nor could this kind of incident be written up for a peer-reviewed science journal. In
fact, beyond the videotaped track in the snow, there was no physical evidence that this incident had ever
happened. And at a subsequent Science Advisory Board meeting, the board made it abundantly clear
that these events, in the absence of physical evidence, did not constitute verification of anything.
Little did we know that these unexpected events would become part of an increasingly frustrating pattern
of transient, difficult-to-interpret, but frightening events and phenomena that would never again be
repeated in our presence.
Chapter 16
The Bulls
After the events of March involving the uncanny mutilation of the calf followed by the equally bizarre
appearance of the phantom “predators,” things were relatively calm at the ranch. But Tom mentioned at
the very beginning of April that something just did not feel right. He felt this way whenever the
phenomenon was close by. It manifested itself as an unaccountable feeling of oppression, a feeling that
someone or something was watching, waiting to act. In short, he told us, it was a very uncomfortable
sensation, like something bad was about to happen. And it did.
On April 2, Tom called me to report that yet another calf had mysteriously disappeared from the
well-fenced property. This was the fifth animal to “disappear” in 1997 without explanation. At the same
time, Tom observed that the long-term ranch dog had disappeared and hadn’t been seen for a couple of
days. Again, he found it unbelievable that five animals could disappear without any signs or tracks. His
frustration level mounted. Animals were disappearing under his watch without explanation and without
any physical clue that might assist the NIDS investigation.
Tom’s bizarre story led me to organize an expedition to the ranch the following day. The team, which
included a very accomplished and seasoned investigator from Canada, arrived the following afternoon. It
appeared we had just missed another incident by a couple of hours. As soon as I set foot on the
property, I could feel that the atmosphere was laden with a thick creepy miasma. I noticed the dogs
huddled in their kennels, looking very intimidated.
Tom and his wife were very shaken. This had been one of the very rare occasions when Ellen had
ventured onto the ranch since leaving the previous August. We repaired to the central command post to
hear his story. Two major episodes had occurred within less than twenty-four hours.
On the afternoon of April 2, Tom and Ellen had set off toward the west end of the ranch on a routine
Generated by ABC Amber LIT Converter,
mission to spot and count the animals. As they passed the bull enclosure, both of them looked fondly and
proudly at the four burly bulls in the corral. They truly were magnificent beasts, two each of pure black
Simmental and Black Angus, each weighing more than two thousand pounds. With muscles rippling
healthily beneath the shiny black coats that perfectly reflected the setting afternoon sun, the animals made
the Gormans proud. Ellen said wistfully, “I would go out of my mind if I lost any of those animals.” Tom
nodded in agreement as they drove west on the narrow dirt track past the corral.
Forty-five minutes later they drove back. All the animals seemed to be accounted for, yet they could not
shake that nagging feeling of unease. An unnatural calm hung over the property, broken only by the sound
of the truck engine. Abruptly Ellen screamed and pointed out the windshield. Tom hit the brakes, fearing
he was about to run over something. He followed her finger and gasped. The corral was empty. Tom’s
stomach knotted. Each of those four registered bulls was worth thousands of dollars. They were
irreplaceable. Tom looked into Ellen’s tear-stained face. They stopped the truck by the empty corral,
and he got out to search for some evidence that the four magnificent animals could have left behind.
Tom’s knees felt weak. There was no sound as he walked around the corral.
Tom walked around looking at the footprints in the corral. The animals had been there only forty-five
minutes ago. Ellen was sobbing in the truck. His search meandered over to an old small white trailer
located at the west end of the corral. There was no entrance to the trailer from the corral except a door
that was tightly locked and hadn’t been opened in years. As he passed the trailer he glanced in. Tom
froze. All four animals were standing silently, crammed into the tiny space. They seemed frozen
hypnotically and appeared to be barely conscious. Tom, with relief flooding through his veins, yelled
loudly for Ellen. At the same time he banged forcefully on the side of the metal trailer. The noise seemed
to break the silent spell. Instantly, all four animals appeared to wake up. They began kicking and
bellowing to get out of the narrow, confined space. Within seconds the four huge animals went berserk
and devastated the interior of the trailer. Finally, a metal door was kicked out and instantly all four
animals tumbled blindly out the broken door and began stampeding in a panic.
It took Tom and Ellen several hours of cajoling and skillful cowboy tactics to get the four panicked
animals safely back into their corral. Night had fallen by the time they were finished. Silently they drove
the twenty-five miles to their home. Both were physically and emotionally drained.
As soon as Tom had finished his story, we tumbled out of the command and control headquarters and,
with cameras and instruments in hand, ran the twenty yards to the corral where the four huge bulls stood.
The animals seemed wary, almost jumpy. I walked over to the tiny trailer and noticed the locked door,
bolted with a piece of barbed wire through the bolt. Inside the devastated trailer I carefully examined the
inside of the door. This door was the only possible entrance point from the corral to the cramped interior
of the trailer. I noticed the extensive cobwebs on the inside of the door. There was no evidence that the
door could have been opened without disturbing the layers of cobwebs. As Tom had said, the inside of
the trailer was thoroughly trashed. Bull dung was everywhere. The stench was strong. I emerged quickly
from the foul-smelling, cramped space and marveled that such huge animals could even fit inside such a
small area.
We then began a systematic sweep of the corral and surrounding area using the small portable
instruments that were part of our tools of the trade. Right away we realized that the metal bars of the
enclosure, especially in the region near the trailer, were highly magnetized. The needle of the magnetic
field detector went off the scale when we applied the instruments to the bars of the corral nearest the
trailer, but the magnetic field was absent on the other side of the enclosure. Something had apparently
magnetized the bars of the corral nearest to where the four animals had been found. We repeated the
measurements every few minutes.
Generated by ABC Amber LIT Converter,
Documents you may be interested
Documents you may be interested