8. In the Moral World we again find the same law; we speak of good and evil, but Good is a reality,
something tangible, while Evil is found to be simply a negative condition, the absence of Good.
Evil is sometimes thought to be a very real condition, but it has no principle, no vitality, no life; we
know this because it can always be destroyed by Good; just as Truth destroys Error and light
destroys darkness, so Evil vanishes when Good appears; there is therefore but one principle in the
9. We find exactly the same law obtaining in the Spiritual world; we speak of Mind and Matter as
two separate entities, but clearer insight makes it evident that there is but one operative principle
and that is Mind.
10. Mind is the real and the eternal. Matter is forever changing; we know that in the eons of time a
hundred years is as but a day. If we stand in any large city and let the eye rest on the innumerable
large and magnificent buildings, the vast array of modern automobiles, cellular telephones, the
electric lights, and all the other conveniences of modern civilization, we may remember that not
one of them was there just over a century ago, and if we could stand on the same spot in a hundred
years from now, in all probability we should find that but few of them remained.
11. In the animal kingdom we find the same law of change. The millions and millions of animals
come and go, a few years constituting their span of life. In the plant world the change is still more
rapid. Many plants and nearly all grasses come and go in a single year. When we pass to the
inorganic, we expect to find something more substantial, but as we gaze on the apparently solid
continent, we are told that it arose from the ocean; we see the giant mountain and are told that the
place where it now stands was once a lake; and as we stand in awe before the great cliffs in the
Yosemite Valley we can easily trace the path of the glaciers which carried all before them.
12. We are in the presence of continual change, and we know that this change is but the evolution
of the Universal Mind, the grand process whereby all things are continually being created anew,
and we come to know that matter is but a form which Mind takes and is therefore simply a
condition. Matter has no principle; Mind is the only principle.
13. We have then come to know that Mind is the only principle which is operative in the physical,
mental, moral and spiritual world.
14. We also know that this mind is static, mind at rest; and we know that the ability of the
individual to think is his ability to act upon the Universal Mind and convert it into dynamic mind,
or mind in motion.
15. In order to do this, fuel must be applied in the form of food, for man cannot think without
eating, and so we find that even a spiritual activity such as thinking cannot be converted into
sources of pleasure and profit except by making use of material means.
16. It requires energy of some kind to collect electricity and convert it into a dynamic power, it
requires the rays of the sun to give the necessary energy to sustain plant life, so it also requires
energy in the form of food to enable the individual to think and thereby act upon the Universal
17. You may know that thought is constantly, eternally taking form, is forever seeking expression,
or you may not, but the fact remains that if your thought is powerful, constructive, and positive, this
will be plainly evident in the state of your health, your business and your environment. If your
thought is weak, critical, destructive and negative generally, it will manifest in your body as fear,
worry and nervousness, in your finances as lack and limitation, and in discordant conditions in your
18. All wealth is the offspring of power; possessions are of value only as they confer power. Events
are significant only as they affect power; all things represent certain forms and degrees of power.
19. A knowledge of cause and effect as shown by the laws governing steam, electricity, chemical
affinity and gravitation enables men to plan courageously and to execute fearlessly. These laws are
called Natural Laws, because they govern the physical world, but not all power is physical power;
there is also mental power, and there is moral and spiritual power.
20. What are our schoolsand universities but mental powerhouses, places where mental power is
21. As there are many mighty powerhouses for the application of power to ponderous machinery,
whereby raw material is collected and converted into the necessities and comforts of life, so the
mental powerhouses collect the raw material and cultivate and develop it into a power which is
infinitely superior to all the forces of nature, marvelous though they may be.
22. What is this raw material which is being collected in these thousands of mental powerhouses all
over the world and developed into a power which is evidently controlling every other power? In its
static form it is Mind; in its dynamic form, it is Thought.
23. This power is superior because it exists on a higher plane, because it has enabled man to
discover the law by which these wonderful forces of Nature could be harnessed and made to do the
work of hundreds and thousands of men. It has enabled man to discover laws whereby time and
space have been conquered, and the law of gravitation overcome.
24. Thought is the vital force or energy which is being developed and which has produced such
startling results in the last half century as to bring about a world which would be absolutely
inconceivable to a man existing only 50 or 25 years ago. If such results have been secured by
organizing these mental powerhouses in 50 years, what may not be expected in another 50 years?
25. The substance from which all things are created is infinite in quantity; we know that light
travels at the rate of 186,300 miles per second, and we know that there are stars so remote that it
takes light 2,000 years to reach us, and we know that such stars exist in all parts of the heaven; we
know, too, that this light comes in waves, so that if the ether on which these waves travel was not
continuous the light would fail to reach us; we can then only come to the conclusion that this
substance, or ether, or raw material, is universally present.
26. How, then, does it manifest in form? In electrical science a battery is formed by connecting the
opposite poles of zinc and copper, which causes a current to flow from one to the other and so
provides energy. This same process is repeated in respect to every polarity, and as all form simply
depends upon the rate of vibration and consequent relations of atoms to each other, if we wish to
change the form of manifestation we must change the polarity. This is the principle of causation.
27. For your exercise this week, concentrate, and when I use the word concentrate, I mean all that
the word implies; become so absorbed in the object of your thought that you are conscious of
nothing else, and do this a few minutes every day. You take the necessary time to eat in order that
the body may be nourished, why not take the time to assimilate your mental food?
28. Let the thought rest on the fact that appearances are deceptive. The earth is not flat, neither is it
stationary; the sky is not a dome, the sun does not move, the stars are not small specks of light, and
matter which was once supposed to be fixed has been found to be in a state of perpetual flux.
29. Try to realize that the day is fast approaching – its dawn is now at hand – when modes of
thought and action must be adjusted to rapidly increasing knowledge of the operation of eternal
“Silent thought, is, after all, the mightiest agent in human affairs.” - Channing
Part Nineteen Study Questions With Answers
181. How are extremes placed in contrast? They are designated by distinctive names, such as inside
and outside, top and bottom, light and dark, good and bad.
182. Are these separate entities? No, they are parts or aspects of one Whole.
183. What is the one creative Principle in the physical, mental and spiritual world? The Universal
Mind, or the Eternal Energy from which all things proceed.
184. How are we related to this creative Principle? By our ability to think.
185. How does this creative Principle become operative? Thought is the seed which results in
action, and action results in form.
186. Upon what does form depend? Upon the rate of vibration.
187. How may the rate of vibration be changed? By mental action.
188. Upon what does mental action depend? Upon polarity, action and reaction between the
individual and the Universal.
189. Does the creative energy originate in the individual or the Universal? In the Universal, but the
Universal can manifest only through the individual.
190. Why is the individual necessary? Because the Universal is static, and requires energy to start it
in motion. This is furnished by food which is converted into energy, which in turn enables the
individual to think. When the individual stops eating he stops thinking; then he no longer acts upon
the Universal; there is consequently no longer any action or reaction; the Universal is then only
pure mind in static form – mind at rest.
Introduction - Part Twenty
For many years there has been an endless discussion as to the origin of evil. Theologians have told
us that God is Love, and that God is Omnipresent. If this be true, there is no place where God is
not. Where, then, is Evil, Satan and Hell? Let us see:
God is Spirit.
Spirit is the Creative Principle of the Universe.
Man is made in the image and likeness of God.
Man is therefore a spiritual being.
The only activity which spirit possesses is the power to think.
Thinking is therefore a creative process.
All form is therefore the result of the thinking process.
The destruction of form must also be a result of the thinking process.
Fictitious representations of form are the result of the creative power of thought, as in Hypnotism.
Apparent representation of form are the result of the creative power of thought, as in Spiritualism.
Invention, organization and constructive work of all kinds are the result of the creative power of
thought, as in concentration.
Documents you may be interested
Documents you may be interested