environment, no chemistry, no electricity, no form of energy, no evolution of any kind can ever
endow a single atom of the mineral world with the attribute of Life.”
6. "Only by the bending down into this dead world of some living form can those dead atoms be
gifted with the properties of vitality; without this contact with life they remain fixed in the
inorganic sphere forever. Huxley says that the doctrine of Biogenesis (or life only from life) is
victorious all along the line, and Tyndall is compelled to say: 'I affirm that no shred of trustworthy
evidence exists to prove that life in our day has ever appeared independent of antecedent life.'
7. "Physical laws may explain the inorganic, Biology explains and accounts for the development of
the organic, but of the point of contact Science is silent. A similar passage exists between the
Natural world and the Spiritual world; this passage is hermetically sealed on the natural side. The
door is closed; no man can open it, no organic change, no mental energy, no moral effort, no
progress of any kind can enable any human being to enter the spiritual world."
8. But as the plant reaches down into the mineral world and touches it with the mystery of Life, so
the Universal Mind reaches down into the human mind and endows it with new, strange,
wonderful, and even marvelous qualities. All men or women who have every accomplished
anything in the world of industry, commerce or art have accomplished because of this process.
9. Thought is the connecting link between the Infinite and the finite, between the Universal and the
individual. We have seen that there is an impassable barrier between the organic and the inorganic,
and that the only way that matter can unfold is to be impregnated with life; as a seed reaches down
into the mineral world and begins to unfold and reach out, the dead matter begins to live, a
thousand invisible fingers begin to weave a suitable environment for the new arrival, and as the law
of growth begins to take effect, we see the process continue until the Lily finally appears, and even
"Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these".
10. Even so, a thought is dropped into the invisible substance of the Universal Mind, that substance
from which all things are created, and as it takes root, the law of growth begins to take effect and
we find that conditions and environment are but the objective form of our thought.
11. The law is that Thought is an active vital form of dynamic energy which has the power to
correlate with its object and bring it out of the invisible substance from which all things are created
into the visible or objective world. This is the law by which, and through which all things come into
manifestation; it is the Master Key by which you are admitted into the Secret Place of the Most
High and are "given dominion over all things." With an understanding of this law you may "decree
a thing and it shall be established unto thee."
12. It could not be otherwise. If the soul of the Universe as we know it is the Universal Spirit, then
the Universe is simply the condition which the Universal Spirit has made for itself. We are simply
individualized spirit and are creating the conditions for our growth in exactly the same way.
13. This creative power depends upon our recognition of the potential power of spirit or mind and
must not be confused with Evolution. Creation is the calling into existence of that which does not
exist in the objective world. Evolution is simply the unfolding of potentialities involved in things
which already exist.
14. In taking advantage of the wonderful possibilities opened up to us through the operation of this
law, we must remember that we ourselves contribute nothing to its efficacy as the Great Teacher
said: "It is not I that doeth the works, but the Father that dwelleth in me, He doeth the work". We
must take exactly the same position; we can do nothing to assist in the manifestation, we simply
comply with the law, and the All-originating Mind will bring about the result.
15. The great error of the present day is the idea that Man has to originate the intelligence whereby
the Infinite can proceed to bring about a specific purpose or result. Nothing of this kind is
necessary; the Universal Mind can be depended upon to find the ways and means for bringing
about any necessary manifestation. We must, however, create the ideal, and this ideal should be
16. We know that the laws governing Electricity have been formulated in such a way that this
invisible power can be controlled and used for our benefit and comfort in thousands of ways. We
know that messages are carried around the world, that ponderous machinery does its bidding, that it
now illuminates practically the whole world, but we know too that if we consciously or ignorantly
violate its law by touching a live wire, when it is not properly insulated, the result will be
unpleasant and possibly disastrous. A lack of understanding of the laws governing in the invisible
world has the same result, and many are suffering the consequences all the time.
17. It has been explained that the law of causation depends upon polarity, a circuit must be formed;
this circuit cannot be formed unless we operate in harmony with the law. How shall we operate in
harmony with the law unless we know what the law is? How shall we know what the Law is? By
study, by observation.
18. We see the law in operation everywhere. All nature testifies to the operation of the law by
silently, constantly expressing itself in the law of growth. Where there is growth, there must be life.
Where there is life there must be harmony, so that everything that has life is constantly attracting to
itself the conditions and the supply which is necessary for its most complete expression.
19. If your thought is in harmony with the creative Principle of Nature, it is in tune with the Infinite
Mind and it will form the circuit. It will not return to you void but it is possible for you to think
thoughts that are not in tune with the Infinite, and when there is no polarity, the circuit is not
formed. What, then, is the result? What is the result when a dynamo is generating electricity, the
circuit is cut off and there is no outlet? The dynamo stops.
20. It will be exactly the same with you, if you entertain thoughts which are not in accordance with
the Infinite and cannot therefore be polarized there is no circuit. You are isolated. The thoughts
cling to you, harass you, worry you, and finally bring about disease and possibly death. The
physician may not diagnose the case exactly in this way, he may give it some fancy name which
has been manufactured for the various ills which are the result of wrong thinking, but the cause is
the same nevertheless.
21. Constructive thought must necessarily be creative, but creative thought must be harmonious,
and this eliminates all destructive or competitive thought. Wisdom, strength, courage, and all
harmonious conditions are the result of power and we have seen that all power is from within;
likewise, every lack, limitation or adverse circumstance is the result of weakness, and weakness is
simply absence of power; it comes from nowhere, it is nothing – the remedy then is simply to
develop power, and this is accomplished in exactly the same manner that all power is developed, by
22. This exercise consists in making an application of your knowledge. Knowledge will not apply
itself. You must make the application. Abundance will not come to you out of the sky, neither will
it drop into your lap, but a conscious realization of the Law of Attraction and the intention to bring
it into operation for a certain, definite and specific purpose, and the will to carry out this purpose
will bring about the materialization of your desire by a natural law of transference. If you are in
business, it will increase and develop along regular channels, possibly new or unusual channels of
distribution will be opened and when the law becomes fully operative, you will find that the things
you seek are seeking you.
23. This week select a blank space on the wall, or any other convenient spot, from where you
usually sit, mentally draw a black horizontal line about six inches long, try to see the line as plainly
as though it were painted on the wall. Now, mentally draw two vertical lines connecting with this
horizontal line at either end; now draw another horizontal line connecting with the two vertical
lines; now you have a square. Try to see the square perfectly. When you can, draw a circle within
the square. Now place a point in the center of the circle. Now draw the point toward you about 10
inches. Now you have a cone on a square base. You will remember that your work was all in black;
change it to white, to red, to yellow.
24. If you can do this, you are making excellent progress and will soon be enabled to concentrate
on any problem you may have in mind. "When any object or purpose is clearly held in thought, its
precipitation, in tangible and visible form, is merely a question of time.
“The vision always precedes and itself determines the realization.” - Lillian Whiting
Part Ten Study Questions With Answers
91. What is Wealth? Wealth is the offspring of power.
92. Of what value are possessions? Possessions are of value only as they confer power.
93. Of what value is a knowledge of cause and effect? It enables men to plan courageously and
94. How does life originate in the inorganic world? Only by the introduction of some living form.
There is no other way.
95. What is the connecting link between the finite and the Infinite? Thought is the connecting link.
96. Why is that so? Because the Universal can manifest only through the individual.
97. Upon what does causation depend? Upon polarity; a circuit must be formed. The Universal is
the positive side of the battery of life, the individual is the negative, and thought forms the circuit.
98. Why do many fail to secure harmonious conditions? They do not understand the law; there is no
polarity; they have not formed the circuit.
99. What is the remedy? A conscious recognition of the Law of Attraction with the intention of
bringing it into existence for a definite purpose.
100. What will be the result? Thought will correlate with its object and bring it into manifestation,
because thought is a product of the spiritual man, and spirit is the creative Principle of the
“A vivid thought brings the power to paint it; and in proportion to the depth of its source is the
force of its projection.” - Emerson
Introduction - Part Eleven
Your life is governed by law – by actual, immutable principles that never vary. Law is in operation
at all times, in all places. Fixed laws underlie all human actions. For this reason, men who control
giant industries are enabled to determine with absolute precision just what percentage of every
hundred thousand people will respond to any given set of conditions.
It is well however, to remember that while every effect is the result of a cause, the effect in turn
becomes a cause, which creates other effects, which in turn create still other causes. So that when
you put the Law of Attraction into operation you must remember that you are starting a train of
causation for good or otherwise which may have endless possibilities.
We frequently hear it said, "A very distressing situation came into my life, which could not have
been the result of my thought, as I certainly never entertained any thought which could have such a
result." We fail to remember that like attracts like in the mental world, and that the thought which
we entertain brings to us certain friendships, companionships of a particular kind, and these in turn
bring about conditions and environment, which in turn are responsible for the conditions of which
1. Inductive reasoning is the process of the objective mind by which we compare a number of
separate instances with one another until we see the common factor that gives rise to them all.
2. Induction proceeds by comparison of facts. It is this method of studying nature which has
resulted in the discovery of a reign of law which has marked an epoch in human progress.
3. It is the dividing line between superstition and intelligence. It has eliminated the elements of
uncertainty and caprice from men's lives and substituted law, reason, and certitude.
4. It is the "Watchman at the Gate" mentioned in a former lesson.
5. When, by virtue of this principle, the world to which the senses were accustomed had been
revolutionized, when the sun had been arrested in his course, the apparently flat earth had been
shaped into a ball and set whirling around him. When the inert matter had been resolved into active
elements, and the Universe presented itself wherever we directed the telescope and microscope, full
of force, motion and life, we are constrained to ask by what possible means the delicate forms of
organization in the midst of it are kept in order and repair.
6. Like poles and like forces repel themselves or remain impenetrable to each other, and this cause
seems in general sufficient to assign a proper place and distance to stars, men and forces. As men of
different virtues enter into partnership, so do opposite poles attract each other, elements that have
no property in common like acids and gases cling to each other in preference and a general
exchange is kept up between the surplus and the demand.
7. As the eye seeks and receives satisfaction from colors complementary to those which are given,
so does need, want and desire, in the largest sense, induce, guide and determine action.
8. It is our privilege to become conscious of the principle and act in accordance with it. Cuvier sees
a tooth belonging to an extinct race of animals. This tooth wants a body for the performance of its
function, and it defines the peculiar body it stands in need of with such precision that Cuvier is able
to reconstruct the frame of this animal.
9. Perturbations are observed in the motion of Uranus. Leverrier needs another star at a certain
place to keep the solar system in order, and Neptune appears in the place and hour appointed.
10. The instinctive wants of the animal and the intellectual wants of Cuvier, the wants of nature and
of the mind of Leverrier were alike, and thus the results; here the thoughts of an existence, there an
existence. A well-defined lawful want, therefore, furnishes the reason for the more complex
operations of nature.
11. Having recorded correctly the answers furnished by nature and stretched our senses with the
growing science over her surface, having joined hands with the levers that move the earth, we
become conscious of such a close, varied and deep contact with the world without, that our wants
and purposes become no less identified with the harmonious operations of this vast organization,
than the life, liberty, and happiness of the citizen is identified with the existence of his government.
12. As the interests of the individual are protected by the arms of the country, added to his own, and
his needs may depend upon certain supply in the degree that they are felt more universally and
steadily, in the same manner does conscious citizenship in the Republic of nature secure us from
the annoyances of subordinate agents by alliance with superior powers. And by appeal to the
fundamental laws of resistance or inducement offered to mechanical or chemical agents, distribute
the labor to be performed between them and man to the best advantage of the inventor.
13. If Plato could have witnessed the pictures executed by the sun with the assistance of the
photographer, or a hundred similar illustrations of what man does by induction, he would perhaps
have been reminded of the intellectual midwifery of his master and, in his own mind might have
arisen the vision of a land where all manual, mechanical labor and repetition is assigned to the
power of nature, where our wants are satisfied by purely mental operations set in motion by the
will, and where the supply is created by the demand.
14. However distant that land may appear, induction has taught men to make strides toward it and
has surrounded him with benefits which are, at the same time, rewards for past fidelity and
incentives for more assiduous devotion.
15. It is also an aid in concentrating and strengthening our faculties for the remaining part, giving
unerring solution for individual as well as universal problems, by the mere operations of mind in
the purest form.
16. Here we find a method, the spirit of which is to believe that what is sought has been
accomplished, in order to accomplish it: a method, bequeathed upon us by the same Plato who,
outside of this sphere, could never find how the ideas became realities.
17. This concept is also elaborated by Swedenborg in his doctrine of correspondences. And a still
greater teacher has said, "What things soever ye desire, when ye pray, believe that ye receive them,
and ye shall have them." (Mark 11:24) The difference of the tenses in this passage is remarkable.
18. We are first to believe that our desire has already been fulfilled; its accomplishment will then
19. This is a concise direction for making use of the creative power of thought by impressing on the
Universal subjective mind, the particular thing which we desire as an already existing fact.
20. We are thus thinking on the plane of the absolute and eliminating all consideration of
conditions or limitation and are planting a seed which, if left undisturbed, will finally germinate
into external fruition.
21. To review: Inductive reasoning is the process of the objective mind, by which we compare a
number of separate instances with one another until we see the common factor that gives rise to
them all. We see people in every civilized country on the globe, securing results by some process
which they do not seem to understand themselves, and to which they usually attach more or less
mystery. Our reason is given to us for the purpose of ascertaining the law by which these results are
Documents you may be interested
Documents you may be interested