Back to the contents page
Money Claim Online – user guide 
c) Providing a valid address for each Defendant 
You need to provide a full address within England and Wales for each defendant, 
including the post code. This is known as their service address. MCOL does not have 
jurisdiction outside England and Wales, claims issued to addresses outside England and 
Wales will be invalid.  
  if the defendant is an individual the claim must be served to their usual or last known 
residential address 
  if the defendant is an individual using a trading alias then the claim may be served to 
their usual or last known residential address or their place of business  
  if the defendant is an organisation then the claim may be served to their registered 
office or to the address where you have been dealing with them 
Further information on choosing the address for service correctly can be found in the Civil 
Procedure Rules 6.9. An online version of the Civil Procedure Rules can be found at:
Step 5) Claim Particulars 
This is your opportunity to explain what money is owed to you and why. You will need to 
provide a statement, called the particulars of claim (POC), explaining what you are claiming 
for. You will also need to state the amount you are claiming. 
The POC are restricted to 24 lines of 45 characters and a total of 1080 characters. If you type 
more than this the last part of your text will not appear on the claim. Please be aware that the 
website will only accept the following punctuation; full stop, comma, pound signs. 
If you do not have enough space to explain your claim online and you need to serve extra, 
more detailed particulars on the defendant, please tick the box that appears after the 
statement ‘you may also send detailed particulars direct to the defendant’. Please be aware 
this will then reduce the amount of space left in the main particulars box by three lines. This is 
because a statement is automatically added explaining you will be serving further particulars. 
You will be able to see the extra information added in the next screen “Summary”. For more 
information please see the ‘Serving additional Particulars of Claim’ section
. If you have 
enough space to explain your claim online do not tick this box. 
This screen will ask you if you want to reserve the right to claim interest. If you wish to claim 
interest please select yes (select no if you do not wish to claim interest). Interest under the 
County Court Act is charged at 8% per annum. If you select this option please be aware that 
this will reduce the amount of space left in the main particulars box by six lines. This is 
because a statement is automatically added explaining you are claiming interest under the 
County Court Act. You will be able to see the extra information added in the next screen 
If you wish to claim interest under any other act or agreement, please select no. Instead, enter 
full details of your interest claim in the main POC box. More information on claiming interest is 
available in booklet EX350 - A guide to debt recovery through the county courts for small 
businesses (available to download from
). Please be aware court 
staff cannot provide guidance on whether you are entitled to claim interest. 
Best pdf to text converter for - software Library project:C# PDF Convert to Text SDK: Convert PDF to txt files in, ASP.NET MVC, WinForms, WPF application
C# PDF to Text (TXT) Converting Library to Convert PDF to Text
Best pdf to text converter for - software Library project:VB.NET PDF Convert to Text SDK: Convert PDF to txt files in, ASP.NET MVC, WinForms, WPF application
VB.NET Guide and Sample Codes to Convert PDF to Text in .NET Project
Back to the contents page
Calculating interest under the County Court Act 
In many cases you can claim interest on the money you are owed.  
To calculate this, use the steps below; 
1.  Work out the yearly interest: take the amount you’re claiming and multiply it by 0.08 
(i.e. 8% - this will equal 8% of the amount claimed). 
2.  Work out the daily interest: divide the yearly interest from step 1 by 365 (the number 
of days in a year). 
3.  Work out the total amount of interest: multiply the daily interest from step 2 by the 
number of days the debt has been overdue. 
For example, if you were owed £1,000: 
  the annual interest would be £80 (1000 x 0.08 = 80)  
  divide £80 by 365 to get the daily interest: about 22p a day (80 / 365 = 0.22)  
  after 25 days this would be £5.50 (25 x 0.22 = 5.50) 
If you are claiming interest under the County Court Act you will need to complete some extra 
fields for step 5, including the daily rate of interest. You need to add this amount of interest 
to the total claim amount and enter it in the box for ‘amount claimed’ as shown at the 
bottom of the example. This ensures that any interest due prior to issuing the claim is 
included in the total amount claimed. This cannot be added to the claim at a later date 
without making an application for permission from a District Judge which incurs a fee. 
Please note that you can use the same daily rate to calculate interest from the date the claim 
was issued to the date of judgment if your claim reaches that stage. 
In the ‘Claim amounts’ section, you need to put in the total amount owed to you (including 
interest). Please remember MCOL can only be used to claim a fixed amount of money. 
When you click ‘calculate’, the court fee will be added and your claim figures are complete. 
Solicitors Costs 
If you are a Solicitor you will have the opportunity to enter costs. Please refer to the fixed costs 
table -
for further 
Money Claim Online – user guide 
software Library project:Online Convert PDF to Text file. Best free online PDF txt
Online PDF to Text Converter. Download Free Trial. Convert a PDF to Text. Just upload your file by clicking on the blue button or drag
software Library project:C# PDF Convert to Images SDK: Convert PDF to png, gif images in C#
Graphics, and REImage in C#.NET Project. Best PDF converter SDK for Visual Studio .NET for converting PDF to image in C#.NET application.
Back to the contents page
Money Claim Online – user guide 
Step 6) Summary & Statement of Truth
This is your last chance to review the information you have entered and make sure it is 
correct. Please read through the summary carefully – remember, amendments after issuing 
the claim can be time consuming and may incur additional fees and will usually require 
permission from a District Judge.  
If you do not want the claim to be issued immediately then you can save your progress so far 
as a ‘draft claim’. Draft claims will be saved for 28 days and can be revised at any point during 
that time, so if you are unsure about any of the details you have provided you may wish to 
make further enquiries before submitting and paying for your claim. 
You will be asked to confirm that you have read the guidance before you can issue the claim. 
When you have read the guidance and you are sure the details you have provided are correct, 
tick the box and type your name in the ‘Signature’ box then click ‘Next’. Please note, if you 
click ‘Save’ the signature will be removed and you will not be able to proceed to the 
next step before re-entering it. 
Step 7 & 8) Payment Details & Confirmation 
You will need to pay a court fee to issue the claim using a credit or debit card. The fee 
depends on the amount you are claiming. A list of issue fees is available here:
. The fee you pay will be 
automatically added to the amount you are claiming from the defendant. Please enter your 
card details carefully and double check all details before pressing submit.  
Once you have paid the fee you will be shown a confirmation screen. You can print this screen 
as proof of payment – please note that the court will not be able to produce a receipt and you 
will not receive an email or letter to confirm the payment has been made.  
Please be aware that the MCOL website experiences a high volume of traffic and you may not 
be able to make the payment during certain periods. If your first attempt is not successful, you 
may need to try to pay the fee at a different time of day.  
If the website shows the status of the claim as ‘Prepared for Payment’, do not re-start 
the claim process and issue another claim as this can result in duplicate claims being 
issued. The court will be advised in due course whether your payment has been successful by 
our Finance Department. Please log on the next day and the claim will show as ‘issued’ 
(payment successful) or will state ‘continue’ (payment unsuccessful). If the payment was 
unsuccessful you may then try to make the payment again.  
It is important to note that the court cannot withdraw your claim (however quickly you 
contact us) once it has been successfully submitted in order to stop the claim pack 
being sent out to the defendant. If you wish to discontinue your claim after submission 
you will need to contact the court
and notify the defendant. Please note that you will not 
be eligible for a refund of the court fee. 
software Library project:Purchase RasterEdge Product License Online
Buy Now. Raster XImage.Raster for .NET. Best .NET imaging SDK Buy Now. OCR XImage.OCR for .NET. Scan text from raster images, like jpeg, tiff, scanned pdf.
software Library project:C# PDF Text Highlight Library: add, delete, update PDF text
PDF Page in C#.NET Class. Best PDF document reader SDK control that can highlight PDF text in Visual C# .NET framework application.
Back to the contents page
Serving Additional Particulars of Claim
If during step 5 of issuing the claim you state that you will serve additional Particulars of Claim, 
you must send the additional particulars to the defendant(s) within 14 days of your 
claim being issued. You should also send a covering letter to the defendant clearly advising 
that these are the extra particulars referred to in your claim form and quote the claim number.  
You must file an ‘N215 Certificate of Service’ with the court within 14 days of the claim being 
issued. The certificate of service confirms to the court that you have sent the documents to the 
defendant. The certificate can be filed by post or preferably
by email to
. Please include the claim number in the subject line of the email. A 
blank N215 can be downloaded from
The second page of the N215 explains how to calculate the ‘date of service
’. Please note if 
the date of service is different to that of the claim form, then you should consider the 
later date to be the date of service for the claim. For further information please see Civil 
Procedure Rule 7E.6 at:
When will my claim be issued?
The claim will be issued within 2 working days from the date you submit the claim and you will 
be posted a notice confirming the issue date. You can also check the issue date by logging 
into your MCOL account and accessing the ‘Claim Overview’. 
How long does the defendant have to respond to my claim?
The court will send out a claim pack to each defendant once the claim has been issued and 
allows 5 calendar days from the date of issue for the service of the claim. Therefore the ‘date 
of service’ is the 5
calendar day after issue. Please note, if you have served separate 
particulars of claim
then this may affect the deemed date of service (as above).  
The defendant has 14 calendar days from the ‘date of service’ to file a response. If the last day 
for filing the response falls on a day that the court is not open (i.e. a weekend or public 
holiday), the court will allow the next full working day for a response. The defendant can 
extend the time to respond to 28 calendar days by filing an acknowledgment of service (AOS). 
You will be forwarded a copy and the ‘Claim Overview’ section online will also be updated. 
Please note - if you made an error when issuing the claim (which comes to the attention of the 
court when the defendant files their response), you may be required to amend the claim
. This 
may include a formal application with a fee and / or require the claim to be re-served and will 
take time to resolve.
Money Claim Online – user guide 
software Library project:C# WPF PDF Viewer SDK to convert and export PDF document to other
Best PDF Viewer control as well as a powerful .NET An advanced .NET WPF PDF converter library for converting Export PDF text content to TXT file with original
software Library project:C# PDF Print Library: Print PDF documents in, ASP.NET
XDoc.HTML5 Viewer. XDoc.Windows Viewer. XDoc.Converter. C#.NET rotate PDF pages, C#.NET search text in PDF A best PDF printer control for Visual Studio .NET and
Back to the contents page
Money Claim Online – user guide 
Types of response
The defendant must submit a written response to the claim. Responses are usually submitted 
using the forms supplied in the claim pack, but can be filed in other written formats such as by 
email or in a typed statement.  
  Acknowledgment of Service (AOS) – indicates that the defendant intends to file a 
defence, part admission or contests jurisdiction (the level of court). The AOS also 
extends the time to do so from 14 to 28 calendar days from the date of service. 
  States paid defence – the defendant states that the amount claimed has been paid 
before the claim was issued (this may be minus the costs and interest). You will be sent 
a copy and asked whether you wish to proceed with your claim
. If the defendant 
submits their response online, you will also be able to view a copy from your homepage 
  Full defence – the defendant wishes to dispute the full amount of the claim. You will be 
sent a copy and asked whether you wish to proceed with your claim
. If the defendant 
submits their response online, you will also be able to view a copy from your homepage 
  Counterclaim – the defendant wishes to dispute the full amount of the claim and also 
files a claim against you. The defendant will need to pay a fee to make a counterclaim. 
You will be sent a copy and asked whether you wish to proceed with your claim
note that if you withdraw your claim the case will continue on the counterclaim alone). If 
the defendant submits their response online, you will also be able to view a copy from 
your homepage 
  Part Admission – the defendant wishes to dispute part of the claim. The defendant 
should explain how much of the claim they are disputing and make an offer of payment 
for the remainder. You will be sent a copy and asked whether you wish to proceed with 
your claim
. If the defendant submits their response online, you will also be able to view 
a copy from your homepage 
  Full Admission – the defendant wishes to make an offer of repayment. This form 
should be sent directly to you rather than the court (please see the section on entering 
for information on how to proceed with your claim). 
  No response – the defendant does not respond within the permitted timeframe (please 
see the section on entering judgment
for information on how to proceed with your 
  Payment – the defendant may send you payment directly following receipt of your 
claim (please see the section on settling a claim
Please note that the onus is on you to advise the court how you to wish to proceed once the 
defendant has filed a response / their time to file a response has expired. If you do not send 
instructions to the court your claim will be suspended (known as stayed
) and you will be 
required to make an application to a District Judge to reinstate the case. 
For further information regarding what happens once your claim has been issued, please 
download the booklet EX304 - I’ve started a claim in court – what happens next? Available at
and follow the information for specified claims issued online. 
software Library project:VB.NET PDF Convert to Tiff SDK: Convert PDF to tiff images in vb.
Free VB.NET Guide to Render and Convert PDF Document to TIFF in Visual Basic Class. Best VB.NET adobe PDF to Tiff converter SDK for Visual Studio .NET.
software Library project:C# PDF Text Add Library: add, delete, edit PDF text in, ASP
XDoc.HTML5 Viewer. XDoc.Windows Viewer. XDoc.Converter. View & Process. A best PDF annotation SDK control for Visual Studio .NET can help to add text to PDF
Back to the contents page
Money Claim Online – user guide 
Proceeding with a defended case 
If you would like to proceed with your claim upon receipt of a paid, full or part defence you 
must notify the court by following the directions enclosed with the copy of the defendant’s 
response. If you have been sent a questionnaire to complete this must be returned by the date 
specified. Failure to do so may result in your claim being struck out
. If there is a fee to pay you 
may send a cheque or postal order made payable to HMCTS with the questionnaire. 
Alternatively you may pay by card over the telephone
between the hours of 9.30am – 3.30pm 
Monday to Friday and submit your questionnaire via email to
information on the fees payable you can download booklet EX50 from
Once all parties have filed their questionnaire the case will be transferred to the mediator / 
local court to continue. If you are making a claim against an individual, the claim will be 
transferred to their local court. If you are making a claim against a company, the claim will be 
transferred to your local court, or to your solicitor’s local court. You can search for your local 
county court using the following website:
. If you have 
good reason for the claim to be dealt with at a different court, you can explain this on the 
questionnaire. Your request will be considered by the District Judge when they are deciding 
what should happen next (please be aware that the defendant can also make such a request).
Once a claim has been transferred you will need to contact the transfer court for any 
information on the claim’s progress as we will no longer be able to update you at MCOL and 
you will no longer be able to follow the progress of the claim or take action via your 
MCOL account. If you would like more information about what may happen once the claim is 
transferred, please download leaflets EX305 (The fast track and the multi track in civil courts) 
and EX306 (The small claims track in civil courts) or seek legal advice. Both leaflets are 
available from
Proceeding on an admitted case 
If the defendant admits the entire claim and you wish to accept this response and make an 
Order for repayment, you may continue to request judgment
online. If however, you do not 
agree with the repayment method the defendant has offered (or if they have not made an 
offer) you may ask the court to ‘determine’ the judgment (decide the instalments the defendant 
should pay). Please note that you cannot request to do this online. Please see the section on 
manual judgments
for information on how to apply. You will also need to apply manually if the 
defendant admits only part of the claim. 
Informing the court of settlement / discontinuing the claim 
If you receive payment immediately after you submit the claim please note that although you 
can mark the claim as settled online, the claim forms will still be issued so you will not be 
eligible for a refund of the court fee. If the defendant pays you after the claim was issued, you 
may still be able to pursue them for the fees (although the defendant may file a defence 
disputing the fees). If you are willing to accept the amount you have received in settlement of 
the claim, you can mark the case as paid by clicking on ‘update claim status’ button. 
If you receive partial payment after issue, then you do not need to let the court know until full 
payment is made. The defendant may file a defence for the remainder of the claim; or, if they 
do not respond to the claim, you may request judgment for the remaining balance once their 
time to respond
has expired.  
software Library project:C# PDF Text Box Edit Library: add, delete, update PDF text box in
with .NET PDF Library. A best PDF annotator for Visual Studio .NET supports to add text box to PDF file in Visual C#.NET project.
Back to the contents page
If you wish to discontinue the claim you will need to file a Notice of Discontinuance. A blank 
N279 can be downloaded from
. Guidance on how to do this can be 
found in CPR 38.3 -
Requesting Judgment using Money Claim Online (MCOL) 
If the defendant has not responded to your claim within the allowed time, or they have sent 
you an admission form and you are willing to accept their offer of payment, you can 
request judgment via the MCOL website.  
Please note that the defendant can still reply to your claim until the court has processed your 
request. If the defendant’s reply is late but arrives before or even on the same day as your 
request, it will have priority. It is your responsibility as a claimant to make sure you enter the 
right type of judgment. If you do not do so this may lead to the judgment being set aside
Step 1 & 2 – Guidance and Type of Judgment 
Log in to your MCOL account and select the relevant claim from the claim menu. In the Claim 
Overview, select ‘Request Judgment’ from the available options. From the first screen (Step 1 
of 8), read the guidance carefully and then select continue.  
In Step 2 you will need to choose whether you are requesting ‘judgment by default’ (the 
defendant has not
filed a defence or admission to the claim) or ‘judgment by acceptance’ (the 
defendant admits that all the money is owed). Remember, you can only request judgment 
by acceptance if you have received an admission from the defendant. 
You will also need to choose which defendant you are requesting judgment against. If there 
are two defendants on the claim you can enter separate judgments against each defendant or 
request a ‘joint judgment’. A joint judgment will mean that the defendants are jointly 
responsible for paying one instalment per month.
Money Claim Online – user guide 
Back to the contents page
Money Claim Online – user guide 
Step 3 & 4 – Claimant details 
If you wish to change your details at this point, you will need to stop requesting judgment, 
return to the MCOL homepage and click on ‘Edit Registered Details’. However, you may add a 
‘correspondence address’ in step 4 if this is different from your usual address. Please note that 
the correspondence address is where the judgment will instruct the defendant to send their 
Step 5 – Defendant details 
At this stage, you can update the defendant’s address if it has changed since the issue of the 
claim; however please note that the defendant’s name cannot be altered. If the defendant’s 
name is incorrect or you are aware that the defendant’s address was incorrect when the claim 
was issued do not continue requesting judgment – you will need to apply to amend and re-
serve the claim
Step 6 – Judgment details 
You will then need to choose whether to request payment from the defendant in full 
immediately (forthwith), by a specified date, or in instalments. Please note if you are 
requesting judgment by acceptance this must be for the instalments offered by the 
defendant (if they have offered instalments) or by the date specified by the defendant (if 
they have specified a date). If you do not accept the defendant’s offer then you cannot 
request judgment online
The option you choose will appear on the judgment Order sent to the defendant. Please note, 
if you ask for the judgment to be paid by instalments then the defendant will be ordered to pay 
the first instalment one month from the date the court enters judgment. Further instalments 
should be paid by the same date in each month after that. 
If interest was claimed in the particulars of claim then you may add any interest accrued 
between the date of issue and the date you are requesting judgment. If you are a solicitor you 
may also add your costs for entering judgment in line with CPR. If the defendant has paid you 
any money since the issue of the claim, this amount must be acknowledged in the ‘deduct 
amount paid since issue’ box. The payment they have already made will be subtracted from 
the judgment total and will appear on the judgment Order sent to the defendant.  
Step 7 & 8 – Summary & Confirmation 
You will then be shown a summary of your judgment request. Check carefully that all the 
details are correct and then press submit. A request cannot be altered once it has been 
submitted – if you realise that you have made an error, contact the court immediately
telephone or email for assistance. 
Please remember that the onus is on you as the claimant to ensure that any judgment request 
submitted is accurate. If your request is inaccurate then it may lead to judgment being set 
at a later date. For example, if you request judgment by acceptance when you have not 
received an admission, or for higher instalments than the defendant offered on their 
admission, then the judgment may be set aside (cancelled). 
Back to the contents page
Money Claim Online – user guide 
Manual Judgment requests
If you are unable to request judgment online you can complete form N225 (or N225A where 
the defendant has filed a part admission) and send it to the court. Please be aware that doing 
this will prevent you from taking any further action on the claim online. Forms N225 and 
N225A are available to download from
Please read the form carefully and make sure that all relevant sections are completed 
accurately. If you have received an admission from the defendant then a copy should be 
attached to the N225 / N225A before you send it to the court. 
If you do not accept the defendant’s offer of payment please give reasons for this on the 
form in order for the court to determine the rate of payment. Incorrectly completed forms will 
be returned to you for amendment and this will delay judgment being entered and registered. 
When will Judgment be entered? 
Judgment requests are not registered immediately. In some circumstances you may find that 
the defendant files a response in the interim and so your judgment cannot be entered. 
However, requesting judgment online ensures your request is processed as quickly as 
possible. Manual judgment requests will be processed in order of receipt in accordance with 
our working targets. 
Once you have submitted your request online you will see in the ‘Claim Overview’ that 
judgment has been “requested”. When the judgment has been entered and registered, there 
will be a second entry in the ‘Claim Overview’ confirming that the judgment has been “issued”. 
You should also receive written confirmation that judgment has been entered. 
If you have submitted a manual judgment request then you will not be able to see the progress 
of your request via your MCOL account. You should receive written confirmation that judgment 
has been entered.  
What happens after Judgment has been entered?
Once judgment has been entered the defendant will be sent a copy of the Order. The Order 
will tell the defendant how much to pay, when to pay it and where to send the payments. The 
payments should be sent to you and not to the court. The judgment will also be entered on a 
public register by Registry Trust Limited so that it will appear on the defendant’s credit report 
and could affect their ability to get credit. 
Back to the contents page
Money Claim Online – user guide 
What happens if payment is received? 
If at any stage of the proceedings you decide you no longer want to proceed with a claim, or if 
it has been paid in full, you can click on the ‘update claim status’ button from your homepage. 
Please note that the information may take up to 10 working days to be recorded onto the court 
system. Remember - it is your responsibility to inform the court that a case has been 
paid or should be discontinued. You should also inform the defendant that you have taken 
the appropriate action to update the claim. 
Please wait until funds have cleared before you mark the case as paid. If you advise the 
court that a case has been paid but then the payment does not clear, you will be required to 
make an application to a District Judge and pay a fee in order to reinstate the case. You must 
provide the court with the date that you received the money. As with all information provided to 
the court the date must be accurate. 
Please note that once judgment has been entered you will no longer be able to 
discontinue the claim. If you do not wish to continue for any other reason than that the claim 
has been paid, you will need to make an application to set judgment aside
. Please contact the 
for further information. 
Once you have confirmed the status, you may archive your claim
in your MCOL homepage if 
you wish to do so. Please note that archiving the claim will not inform the court that it 
should be paid or discontinued.  
If the claim has been transferred to another court, you should contact them directly. Contact 
details for all courts are available via
What happens if the defendant does not pay?
If the defendant does not make the payments ordered you can consider whether you wish to 
proceed to enforcement. There are various methods available which are explained in the 
booklet EX321 (I have a judgment but the defendant hasn’t paid – what can I do?). This leaflet 
can be downloaded from
If you wish to apply for a warrant of control, this can be requested online. For all other methods 
you must contact the court
to request a ‘transfer for enforcement’. Once you receive the notice 
of transfer you may contact the appropriate court directly in order to apply to enforce your 
judgment. Please note that you will no longer be able to see updates online and you will need 
to contact the court of transfer for future correspondence. 
If the judgment is for more than £600 you may be able to ask a High Court Enforcement 
Officer (HCEO) to try to collect the money or remove goods to sell at auction. Whilst you 
cannot request a Writ online, you do not need to request a transfer to another court. The 
HCEO will be able to arrange the Writ. Please note MCOL cannot advise how to issue a 
Writ, or provide updates on the progress of the Writ. You will not be able to view updates 
on the progress of the Writ online, you will need to liaise with the HCEO. 
More information about HCEOs can be found in booklet EX345 (About Bailiffs and 
Enforcement Officers), which can be downloaded from
. Additional 
information can be found at
, which 
includes the Directory of Enforcement Officers, as well as via the High Court Enforcement 
Officer’s Association website at
Documents you may be interested
Documents you may be interested