49NitroPDFProfessionalsoftware user guide
1.5 PDF specifications. If you’re unsure what PDF viewing
software the recipients of your documents are using then it’s
safest to go with the oldest version (1.3).
• Security. Applies password-based security controls, including
the limiting of printing, copying and extracting, form filling,
commenting, and more.
• Watermarks or stamps. Applies text and/or image-based
watermarks and stamps to specified document pages.
• Fonts. Controls whether to embed particular fonts or not,
and whether to embed font subsets.
• Image compression. Sets the quality or compression level
applied to any images in the converted document. Settings
can leave images untouched, can compress at different
levels, and can even remove images altogether from the PDF
The Nitro PDF Driver lets you control all the settings outlined
above in the profiles section, and supports a much larger range of
additional document settings. The Nitro PDF Driver can be used to
convert any printable file into a PDF version. The settings include:
• Page size and rotation. Sets the size and orientation of the
• Document view options. Sets whether to display the
Bookmarks or Pages panel when a PDF document is opened.
Sets the page display mode (single or continuous).
• Window view options. Sets the zoom level at which to
display the PDF.
50NitroPDFProfessionalsoftware user guide
• Interface options. Sets whether the menu, toolbar,
etc. should be displayed when a PDF is opened.
• Document information. Sets the document title,
author, subject, keywords, and custom fields.
• Send as mail. Converts and then attaches the PDF to
an email ready for you to send.
• Optimize for web viewing. Optimizes for online use
and adds byte serving, which makes reading PDFs easier.
Using creation profiles gives you greater control over your output
and helps you make more consistent PDFs.
To add or edit a creation profile:
1. Open Nitro.
2. Open Organizer by one of the following:
• Select View > Organizer Panel > Show/Hide.
• Select the Preferences
• Press F7.
3. Choose the Create PDF
4. To the right of the Profiles
dropdown list, click Edit.
51NitroPDFProfessionalsoftware user guide
The predefined settings appear under a drop down menu. Click the Edit
button to the right of the Factory Default item to create a new profile.
5. To create a new profile, click the New button. The New
Conversion Control dialog box opens.
• You can edit an existing profle by clicking Edit in the
Create PDF panel, then select an item to edit in among
the attribute choices for that profile.
6. Type a name for your profile in the New Conversion Control
dialog box and click OK. Your profile is added to the bottom
of the list of preset profiles.
7. Modify any of the following settings:
• Compatibility. Click Compatible With, then double-
click to show the pull-down menu. Click the down
pointing arrow and select either 1.3, 1.4, or 1.5 for the
If you converted
a document to
PDF, the Create
may not be in
view. If you see Create
PDF Window, click the
Back button and you’ll
see the same window as
in the profile
list by clicking
on the minus symbol
to collapse the settings
52NitroPDFProfessionalsoftware user guide
• Watermark. If you want a watermark, select from preset
watermarks from the drop down menu, or click Edit to
add a custom watermark.
• Security. If you want to apply security settings at the
time of PDF creation, open the drop down menu and
select a security option.
• Font Embed. If you want to change the font embedding
default, open the drop down menu and select from the
• Compression. Open the drop down menu and select an
option for file compression.
8. Click OK and your new profile is complete.
Click and then double-click each item to open drop down menus where settings options are
53NitroPDFProfessionalsoftware user guide
One-click PDF creation
The easiest way to create a PDF file with Nitro is just by dragging
and dropping your files onto the Nitro PDF Professional icon itself
or onto the Nitro workspace when Nitro is open. Find the files you
want to convert, drag them onto the Nitro icon/workspace, and then
release — Nitro PDF Professional starts with the new PDF already
To create a PDF with one click:
1. On your computer, find the file to convert.
2. Left-click and drag the file onto the Nitro desktop icon.
3. Save and name the file once it opens in Nitro.
• Alternatively, you can either drag a file to the Nitro work
space, or open the Convert PDF panel in the Organizer,
and then click the Add button. You select the file to
convert in the Open dialog box.
More than 20 filee types can be converted to PDF by dropping them
onto the Nitro desktop icon. You can also insert any of these file
types straight into you PDF documents — Nitro will automatically
convert and then insert them. See the table below outlining all the
you made for the
Nitro converts the file
using that last settings
selected in the Convert
PDF panel. If in doubt,
open Nitro, select the
conversion settings you
want to use and drag
the file to be converted
to the Nitro workspace.
54NitroPDFProfessionalsoftware user guide
Convert these file types to PDF by dropping them onto the Nitro
desktop icon. You can batch convert and combine them, and also
copy and paste straight content straight from them and into Nitro.
(.bmp, .rle, .dib)
(.jpg, .jpeg, .jpe)
JPEG2000 (.jpf, .jp2, .j2k)
(.jpf, .jp2, .j2k)
(.wmf, .emf, .amf)
55NitroPDFProfessionalsoftware user guide
Creating new blank PDF documents
PDF documents are intended to be originally authored in another
program (e.g. Microsoft Word) and finally converted to PDF. At times,
though, you’ll find it handy to create a new blank document where
you may add form fields, comments, or use it to paste content from
the clipboard or other PDF documents.
To create a blank PDF document do one of the following:
• Click the New Blank PDF
• Press Control + N.
The new blank document is created at 8.27 by 11.69 inches (A4 size).
Converting any file to PDF
Nitro lets you create PDF files from any application that can print,
meaning you can create PDFs from hundreds of different types of
files.Start your application as normal, open the file you want to
convert and print.
To create a PDF from a file:
1. Open a file in an application not supported with one-click
• If you want to test this and you don’t have a program
not supported with one-click PDF creation, use Windows
WordPad or a simple text editor.
2. Choose the Print option.
3. Select Nitro PDF Driver as your printer.
56NitroPDFProfessionalsoftware user guide
4. Click Preferences. In the Preferences panel, click PDF Settings.
You can adjust conversion settings by clicking the Nitro PDF Driver and then clicking
Preferences in the Print dialog box.
5. Adjust PDF conversion settings in the Printing Preferences
and click OK.
6. Click Print and specify a name and a location to place the
PDF once converted.
Converting and combining multiple
Nitro allows you to batch convert files easily and includes fast
conversion support for more than 20 of the most commonly used file
types. All files that support one-click creation can be easily converted
Nitro lets you batch convert in several different ways. One method
provides you the option for selecting which conversion setting to use
and save the file directly to your hard drive.The other option uses
57NitroPDFProfessionalsoftware user guide
your default conversion settings and opens the converted file directly
in Nitro without saving the file(s). Once converted and opend in
Nitro, you have the option for saving the file(s).
To convert a collection of files to PDF, select a conversion
option, and save the files:
1. Select the files to convert.
2. Right-click to open a context menu.
3. Choose Convert file to PDF and then the creation profile from
Click Convert file to PDF > <conversion setting>.
4. When prompted, specify the name and place to save each
58NitroPDFProfessionalsoftware user guide
To convert a collection of files to PDF and open them in Nitro:
1. Open Nitro.
2. Choose File > Create PDF > Convert Multiple Files.
3. Click Add.
4. Select the files to convert.
5. Choose the creation profile
from the dropdown list.
6. Choose the destination for the new files.
7. Click the Create button.
Combining multiple files to PDF
Nitro allows you to convert and combine files together easily and
includes fast conversion support for more than 20 of the most
commonly used file types. All files that support one-click creation can
be converted and combined in the one process.
To convert and combine files into the one PDF document:
1. Open Nitro.
2. Choose File > Create PDF > Combine Multiple Files.
3. Arrange the files in order by selecting a file and click either
the Up or Down arrow.
4. Choose the creation profile from the dropdown list.
5. Choose the destination for the new PDF file.
6. Click the Create button.
Documents you may be interested
Documents you may be interested