4. On the action bar, click New. The Import - Constituent screen appears, displaying the General tab.
5. Because you are importing new records, in the What do you want to do? frame, select Import new
6. In the Options frame, because you want to make sure your import file has all of the required fields, mark
the Validate data only checkbox. The Import Now button at the bottom of the screen changes to read
Validate Now. After you set all of the import parameter tabs, you can click Validate Now, and the program
identifies any required fields you may be missing in your import file before you import the new
information into your database.
7. In the Options frame, do not mark Create new table entries. If marked, the program automatically
creates new table entries for import fields with table entries not already entered in The Raiser’s Edge. For
this example, you do not mark the checkbox because it may result in misspelled and incorrectly formatted
table entries. For example, title entries may appear in several different forms: MR., Mr, Mr.
8. Also in the Options frame, mark Automatically reciprocate relationships. This checkbox appears for
constituent, individual relationship, and organization relationship imports only. If marked, the program
automatically adds the relationship and the reciprocal relationship on the relationship’s record if the
relationship is a constituent. However, the program fills in the Relationship and Reciprocal fields only if
values for the Relationship and Reciprocal fields are included in the import file.
For more information about establishing duplicate criteria, see the Business Rules section in the
Configuration chapter of the Configuration & Security Guide.