H-1297-1 Handbook for Creating Section 508 Compliant Documents (P)
Rel. No. 1-1766
1. Place your cursor where you want the hyperlink.
2. On the Insert tab, in the Links group, click Hyperlink to open the Hyperlink dialog
3. In the Text to display box, type in the name or phrase that will briefly describe the
4. In the Address box, type the link URL.
5. Click OK.
Y. To Change the Text of a Hyplerink
1. Select the link and then, on the Insert tab in the Links group, click Hyperlink to open
the hyperlink dialog box.
2. In the Text to display box, make any necessary changes to the text.
3. Click OK.
Additionally, you can include ScreenTip text that appears when your cursor hovers over
a hyperlink, and can be used in a similar way to alt text. To add ScreenTip text, do the
1. Place your cursor in the hyperlink you want to add ScreenTip text to.
2. On the Insert tab, in the Links group, click Hyperlink to open the hyperlink dialog box.
3. Click ScreenTi
4. Type in your text in the ScreenTip text box.
5. Click OK.
X. Include Closed Captions for any Audio or Video:
Whenever you use additional audio or video components in a presentation, ensure that
the content is available in alternative formats for users with disabilities, such as closed
captions, transcripts or alt text.
re using PowerPoint 2010, you can download and install the Sub-titling text add-
in for Microsoft PowerPoint (STAMP): http://office.microsoft.com/en-
us/powerpointhelp/redir/HA102540315.aspx?CTT=5&origin=HA102013555, which lets
you easily create closed captions for video and audio in your presentations.
Y. Ensure that the Reading Order of Each Slide is Logical
People who cannot view the slide will hear slide text, shapes and content read back in a specific
order. If you are using objects that are not part of the slide template, it is important to be sure
that they will be read by a screen reader in the order that you intend them to be.
To check the order in which your slide content will be read back, do the following:
1. On the Home tab, in the Drawing group, click Arrange and then choose Selection
2. The Selection Pane lists the objects on the slide. Objects will be read back beginning
with the bottom list item and ending with the top list item. Correct any out of order
items using the Re-order arrows on the bottom of the pane.