Proceedings Book 3 on pp. 551-552. Pp. 558-559 recorded the report on the
new building by Hollis Latham. It
called for a building 56’ by 30’
containing three offices with a cost of approximately $2,034. There was
also a report by the Public Property Committee on the county buildings.
On February 11, 1861, the Board met with only 13 supervisors present. The
resolution on a new building lost. They adopted a resolution to ascertain the
ownership of titles to the square on which the Courthouse now stands.
Another was to renew the insurance on the Courthouse. Three more
resolutions on erecting a new building lost. The next day they adopted a
resolution to investigate title to the Public Square land and not build any
more buildings until the county owns the land. This was voted in two parts
and approved. They adopted a resolution that the Methodist Society could
use the Courthouse for holding a meeting on the Sabbath at $25 a year.
Other societies could have occasional use if the house was not otherwise
occupied, at the discretion of the sheriff for 50 cents a meeting.
On November 13
, they heard a report regarding the title to the Public
Square. A. W. Farr investigated and i
ndicated “title was perfect in the
county until the dedication of the Public Square by the County for the use of
the public in accordance with the provisions of the statute when the title of
the County became extinct and was vested in the public.”
On December 9
, the Board asked the Public Property Committee to visit
the Poor House and report back to the Board. Edwin Hodges was approved
as the agent for the county for supplying offices with stationery, fuel and
light, to insure the Courthouse, the Poor House and insure that all county
buildings or property had such repairs as needed and to draw needed money
from the county treasury for these duties.
The Public Property Committee reported that they visited several apartments
at the Poor House and found them spacious, convenient and clean. The
Insane House was neat and substantial, well adapted to its purpose. The
County farm was in excellent condition
barns, fences and out buildings are
in good repair. The Superintendents for the Poor are doing a good job, as
are the overseers. The jail was in good repair, having been thoroughly
renovated by the sheriff. The Courthouse and other buildings are repaired.
At the morning meeting of the Board on April 21
, there was no quorum
present so they recessed to the afternoon. With 4 supervisors present they
decided that taxes had been paid on some disputed land. They also decided
not to deal with any accounts.
On November 13
they adopted a resolution “that the partitions between the
Clerk of the Board’s office and the Grand Jury room be moved to the north
as far as the casing of the southernmost door of said Grand Jury room and to
have a new floor laid in said office all not to exceed $12.00.
On December 16, 1862, the Board received a report of the Superintendents
for the Poor. In it they mentioned that Elihue Gray, the overseer, receives
$600/year. “He is to furnish the household furniture for the dwelling part of
the house, a team and harness and all of the help that is necessary to do the
work, both in and out of doors with such assistance as he may get from the
On December 18
, the Board authorized Edwin Hodges to insure the
Courthouse and Poor House and all county buildings and property. The
sheriff was charged with proper care of the Courthouse and use by charitable
and political purposes unless payment was made in advance and not except
at his discretion.
On November 10
, they held their annual meeting with 4 Board supervisors
present. They heard a resolution about an armory at Delavan. They
discussed this, but took no action. The following day they again spent on
On December 28
, after dealing with accounts they adopted the resolution
about the Armory. “The Militia Company known as the Delavan Union
Guards be authorized and empowered to procure at the expense of the
county a suitable armory for the use of the Company for the year
commencing November 1
1863 and to employ an Armorer to take charge
of the same in accordance with Sec. 17 of Chapter 242 of the Session Laws
of 1863…provided that the expense of the same shall not exceed the sum of
$110 for the year for said purposes.”
At their annual meeting in November, 1864 they resolved that if the
Courthouse was used by anyone other than county officers or the Soldiers
Aid Society that the Sheriff shall charge for keeping the area clean and for
fuel and light.
On the 21
, they heard a report from the Superintendents for the Poor. They
purchased 8 ¾ acres of timberland about four miles from the Poor House to
give adequate wood for fuel at a cost of $250. They voted to pay Rufus
Cheney $10 for plans he submitted in 1861 for a building for county offices.
That evening they reconsidered it and changed this to $20.
On December 18
, they adopted a lengthy resolution to erect a fireproof
building for the safe keeping of records of the Clerk of Courts and Register
of Deeds in 1866. The cost of the building not to exceed the sum equal to ½
of 1 mill on a dollar on the taxable property of the county, according to the
assessment of 1865. $1000 to be appropriated out of the general fund
toward the cost of this building and the rest of the balance to be raised in
On December 19
, they dealt with accounts and then appointed a committee
of three to inspect the jail and county buildings and report their condition, if
they are insured and if not, whether they should be insured.
On December 21
, they heard a report on county buildings which indicated
that the farm was in a high state of cultivation and buildings there were in
good repair. The jail was clean and in healthy condition. The Courthouse
and offices were in good condition. The building with the offices of Clerk
of Circuit Court and Register of Deeds was too small to hold the increasing
records. It was out of repair and unfit to contain these records.
On December 22
, a committee of three was appointed to procure plans and
specifications for a fireproof building and present them at the next meeting
of the Board.
A special meeting was called for January 18, 1866 to take measure for
erecting a building for Public Offices. Five supervisors were present. On
the sixth ballot, Geo. Allen was elected chairman. There was unanimous
approval to a resolution to erect a building for Public Offices. They
approved advertising for sealed proposals for the building according to
specifications presented by the committee of three. Proposals to be received
until February 5
The Board met on February 5, 1866 and approved the building proposal of
Squire Stafford, Alex Stevens and George Dowing for the erection of a
fireproof building…said proposal being the only one offered. A building
committee of three
was approved…2 from the Board and 1 from the village
of Elkhorn. Named were Thomas Hill, Lucius Allen and John Brett. They
approved giving the committee power to sign the contract, dig a well in the
park and make any other adjustments in the plans as they deem necessary as
long as the cost does not exceed $4,265.00. They were authorized to draw
an order for the $1,000 raised in taxes in 1865 and to sign any notes for this
purpose. John Britt was authorized to hire a “good and reliable man to
watch the Courthouse
during the time of erection of the new building….”
On August 1
, the Board voted to pay the contractor the balance of their
less $20 which was needed for watching the building after August
The Board met on January 2, 1867 and approved a resolution that because
the floor and steps of the portico in the front of the Courthouse and the
underpinning were in dilapidated condition that a committee of two be
appointed to see to said repairs as soon as practical.
On November 12
, the five supervisors were present for their annual
meeting. They dealt with accounts and double assessments and approved
that the county agent put up a clock in the office of the treasurer and Board
Clerk at a cost not to exceed $10.
On November 13
, the Board dealt with accounts and then heard reports.
The committee dealing with Courthouse repairs indicted that the floor was
rebuilt at a cost of $71.59. The Board approved this bill.
On November 16
, the report from the committee visiting the Poor House
was adopted. The house was clean and tidy, inmates appear comfortable and
content, well fed and clothed. Overseer is doing a good job. The Board
approved giving J. Simmons $450 for wood to be delivered to the
Courthouse and Jail and that he measure all delivered wood.
On December 17, 1868, they appropriated $250 to repair the fence and
walks of the Public Park in Elkhorn in which the county buildings were
located. W. H. Conger was ordered to carry out this order and use as much
of this money as necessary.
On November 9, 1869, the Board held their annual meeting. James Aram
was authorized to provide a suitable Armory for the Delavan Volunteers and
report the cost of the same at the next Board meeting. James Simmons was
appointed to insure the county buildings, procure wood for fuel and care for
the buildings; $700.00 was appropriated for this.
On June 20, 1970, the Board voted that improvements be made on the jail
barn, not to exceed $50. On November 16
, the Board asked the county
agent to take an inventory of the jail furniture and other public property
coming into the hands of the incoming sheriff.
On December 20
, the Board authorized the Superintendents for the Poor to
sell all lands they owned other than that on which the Poor House and farm
were located. They appropriated $125 to pay for room rent of the Delavan
State Guards. The committee to visit the jail reported the jail was in very
bad condition and unsafe for the prisoners. The Jail needs a new stove for
the prisoners, a stove pipe hole cut in the middle passage in the lower room
to the west chimney, the other one is defective. The fastening to one of the
windows is almost sawed off. The privies are full and we recommend they
be cleaned by digging a vault under the wall. A new floor needs to be laid in
the middle passage of the lower prisoner’s room and the ceiling patched.
The report was adopted and the county agent instructed to carry out the
They held their annual meeting on November 14, 1871 with 17 supervisors
present and accepted the resignation of Richardson as Chairman. On
, the Public Property Committee reported the jail was well
kept, prisoners were clean and well. They recommended a new floor in the
south half of the prison room and the north hall, kitchen or cook room in the
jailer’s residence. The repairs were authorized.
On November 16, 1871, the Public Property Committee was charged with
inspecting the Courthouse and determining any needed repairs, also any
measures needed regarding the erection of a new Courthouse. They
authorized the Superintendents for the Poor to erect a woodshed not to
exceed $50.00 and to purchase bedsteads as needed. The committee on the
treasury submitted an estimate of money needed for the coming year, a total
of $45,620.24. They authorized the construction of another cellar room to
store vegetables, also to insure the buildings and property.
The Public Property Committee reported that the Courthouse was small and
altogether not safe for the number of persons who are in it. It was not
advisable to make repairs; therefore, they recommended that a committee be
appointed to obtain plans and specifications for a new building during the
coming year. The report was adopted.
On November 13, 1872, the Board was asked to examine the 40 acres
adjoining the farm for possible purchase. This was approved at a price not
to exceed $45/acre.
The Public Property Committee reported that the jail was in good condition,
the windows in the Clerk of Circuit Court and the County Judge’s offices
were not installed. They recommended that this be done. Also the roof of
the county offices be repainted.
On December 18
, the Board dealt with accounts and moved to reconsider
the wood house. They decided to appoint a committee to consider the issue.
The farm and property were well taken care of. They needed to purchase the
40 acres because of the large number of paupers in the Poor House.
On December 19
, the committee on the wood house recommended
purchase of coal rather than wood, to erect a temporary building of cheap
construction for the deposit of coal and that the county agent compromise
and deal with person already engaged to build the wood house regarding
damages suffered not to exceed $16.
A special meeting of the Board was called for February 14, 1873 with 19
supervisors present. A resolution to name a committee to confer with the
Superintendents for the Poor regarding a new building for the Poor House
passed. The Board decided it should be built of bricks and that a building
committee be appointed
2 from the Board and 2 of the Superintendents for
the Poor. The committee to receive plans and specifications and estimated
costs and submit the same to the Board. The committee was authorized to
get immediate delivery of sand, brick and stone for the building.
On March 5
, the Board met with 19 supervisors present. The building
committee reported that three plans were submitted. These were given back
to the committee for their recommendation. They favored the Gilbert plan.
The Board approved this plan with the cost not to exceed $10,000. The
committee had authority to make adjustments and to draw up to $5,000 from
the county treasury and to borrow up to $5,000.
On November 11, 1873, the Board held their annual meeting with 19
supervisors present and R. T. Seymour was elected chairman. There was a
report from the Poor House building committee. 14 different bids for the
work were received, some for the entire project, some for only parts of the
project. The low bid of $9,375 was received from Sykes & Hulbert and the
job was awarded to them. Some changes were needed and the final cost was
$9,662.55. A few more changes brought the figure to $10,134.12. The
building was accepted as complete on September 25, 1873. Some labor was
done by Mr. Hill and some of the inmates and they were paid by the builder
- $249; therefore, the final cost to the county was $9,885.12. This report
was referred to a special committee to review. They reported all was in
order and recommended adoption of the report, which prevailed.
On November 13
, the Board dealt with accounts. The Public Property
Committee report was adopted. The new building is now occupied and is
very satisfactory. The property is now insured: new building at $6,500,
other buildings at $3,900 and the cost of the insurance for 3 years was $312.
The committee recommended putting blinds on the windows in the new
building for $300. The county jail was clean and well cared for. All of the
county offices now have coal stoves. They recommended
“digging a vault
and putting in a stone wall under the out building in the Courthouse Square
for the sum of $45.” They also recommended putting off the building of a
They authorized payment of bills for building a coal house
fuel storage for
the Courthouse and county offices. Material and labor cost $89.35.
On December 16
, the Board met with 15 supervisors present. The Board
ordered payment of notes from building the county building. A resolution
on building a new Courthouse was laid on the table until tomorrow.
A resolution was adopted to build a Courthouse on the Public Square and a
building committee of 5 supervisors was named. The total cost not to
exceed $25,000 and not more than $12,500 to be raised in taxes in 1874.
The committee to have the power to borrow money.
On November 10, 1874, the Board held their annual meeting with 19
supervisory positions listed. [Last year Whitewater village was listed and
the Town of Elkhorn. This year neither of the two was listed but the village
of Elkhorn was listed.]
Documents you may be interested
Documents you may be interested