Chapter 2 Installation
MySQL for Excel is a product for Windows, and it is installed with MySQL Installer. And typically you
will not be required to install or configure additional tools to use MySQL for Excel.
MySQL for Excel Requirements
The MySQL Installer installation process will check if these requirements are met, or notify you if further
action is required before proceeding with the installation.
• .NET Framework 4.0 (Client or Full Profile).
• Microsoft Office Excel 2007 or greater, for Microsoft Windows.
• Visual Studio 2010 Tools for Office Runtime, and MySQL Installer may install this for you.
This requirement is different than Office Developer Tools for Visual Studio,
which is not a substitute.
• An available MySQL Server connection.
MySQL for Excel Download
Either install MySQL for Excel using the MySQL Installer for Windows (a system that manages
installations and updates for all MySQL products on Windows), or download and execute the
standalone file. The download links are as follows:
• MySQL Installer: Download and execute the MySQL Installer MSI file. Select the MySQL for Excel
product and then proceed with the installation. See the MySQL Installer manual for additional details.
This is the recommended approach.
• Standalone: Download and execute the MySQL for Excel standalone MSI file.
MySQL for Excel is loaded and executed by selecting the Data menu tab in Excel, and then choosing
the "MySQL for Excel" Database icon. This opens a new Excel sidebar with the available MySQL for
Excel options. The navigation bar with the MySQL for Excel icon is shown in the following screenshot: