Session 4A: Tips and Tricks 1
Copyright © 2008 Pitney Bowes MapInfo Corporation. All rights reserved.
6. Click OK again to display the new thematic map and the new legend.
Important Notes for Creating and Merging Theme Templates:
• MapInfo Professional saves the custom label order only when the option to Save Individual
Value Categories is selected in the Save Theme to a Template dialog box. This implies that
when creating a theme based on a template, MapInfo Professional applies the custom label
order only when the thematic expression creates the same categories as those in the template.
• When merging theme templates, the custom label order from the source template is applied to
the current theme only when the option to Merge Individual Categories is selected in the
Merge a Template to a Theme dialog box and the template and current theme have the same
number of categories.
Is it possible to create a layout window that when accessed, will display the current date?
The procedure for this will involve creating a workspace template that consists of a blank layout
with a date stamp. Once the workspace is created, it can then be used to set up maps for printing
in other workspaces.
1. Choose Window > New Layout Window.
2. Choose File > Page Setup to set the desired page size and orientation.
3. Choose File > New Table.
4. In the New Table dialog box, select Open New Mapper. Click Create.
5. In the New Table dialog box, simply add a field called
. The contents of the table are not
important in this case. Click the Create.
6. When prompted to save the table, select a directory, and assign a name to the table like
7. Once the new Map Window appears, the Date_Stamp layer should already be editable.
The next step involves creating a point object with no style that can be labeled with an expression
that uses the MapBasic CurDate() function.
8. Choose Options > Symbol Style. In the Symbol Style dialog, make the symbol type N