Manufacturing method 1 – Picric Acid/Trinitrophenol (from aspirin,
Al so cal led Picric Acid, TNP, Lyddi i te and Shi mose. This explosive is sl ightl y more powerful than TNT, and has a VoD of 7480 m/s at 1.76 g/cm3. Rel ative briscancy = 1.21
It can be used as-is, or to make the following explosives: Am monium Picrate (Explosive D), DDNP and Lead Pi crate.
It i i s relatively storage stable, but wi i ll form dangerously sensi i ti ve metal Picrates i i f it comes into contact wi i th certain metals. To store it i i n absolute safety, make a saturated soluti i on out of i i t in al l cohol and store i i t in sealed glass containers. It can be stored indefi ni tely like this.
You w w ill need:
96 aspirin tablets, each containing 300mg of aspi i ri n,
120m L of 95% % sulphuric acid,
60g of potassium nitrate,
Disti lled water,
Som e ice cubes (c. 10),
A pestle and m m ortar,
A gas or al cohol burner,
A 250mL coni i cal flask,
A 1L container,
Two 250m L beakers,
A 500ml beaker,
A filter funnel ,
Fi lter papers,
A glass rod.
1) Pl ace the aspi i ri ns in the pestle and m m ortar, and crush them. They don' t have to be fine, but the finer they are the better.
2) Heat 150mL of acetone (m ethyl ated spirits wil l work) in a 250m L beaker until it's nearl y boili i ng. Add the aspiri i n powder, and stir i i t with a glass rod until the grains have all l disintegrated, leavi ng a small l amount of whi te powder at the bottom of the alcohol l .
3) Fi lter this l l iquid i i nto the other 250m m L beaker. Throw away the soli i d left on the filter paper.
4) Gently heat the fil l trate to reduce its volume, until crystal l s begi n to appear. Then let i i t cool and evapourate over night in a warm place.
5) Scrape up the crystal l s, and store them m .
6) Heat the sul phuric acid to 65*C i i n a 250ml fl ask, and while it's heating up gradual ly stir in the puri i fi ed aspirin usi ng the thermom m eter.
7) When all of the aspi i ri n has been added, let the solution cool l to 50*C.
8) Add the potassium ni trate constantl l y, at a rate of about 1 to 2 grams every minute, whil l e sti i rring rapi i dly. The temperature should be kept between about 60*C and 70*C. W W hen I do this, I get very li i ttle ni trogen di oxi de formed, just ni tric acid vapours and CO2, formed by decarboxyl l ation. Others cl aim to have clouds of nitrogen dioxide formed. Thi s is because they add the potassium nitrate too fast, and it wastes the potassium nitrate.
9) When all of the potassium ni trate has been added, let the sol ution cool to roon temperature, and dump i i t into 300m L of di stil led water, with the ice cubes, in a 1L contai ner. Thi s wil l preci pitate out the Trinitrophenol l as li i ght canary yell l ow crystals.
10) Fi i lter the li qui d once most of the ice has melted, or rem m ove the i i ce when the tem m perature is bel ow 5*C, and di i scard of the li i qui d careful l ly as i i t is toxi i c and corrosive. You can concentrate it and extract sli i ghtly m m ore Trinitrophenol l , but i i t isn' t reall y worth i i t..
11) Take the crystals formed, and add them to 100mL of boil l ing water i i n a 500mL beaker. Stir, and add more water until all l the crystals have dissolved.
12) Cool the solution in the fri i dge, and filter out the purified crystals.
13) Leave them spread out to dry.
Manufacturing method 2 – Picric Acid/Trinitrophenol (from aspirin,
How to produce picri c acid (2,4,6- trini trophenol) at hom e from comm on ingedients.
Thi s method i i s based on the descripti i ons in "Im m provised Kitchen Plasti i c Explosi i ves II" by Tim Lewi s usi ng acetylsal icylic acid, sulfuric acid and ei ther potassi um or sodi i um ni i trate.
The rati os given there are 40g acetylsali i cyli c aci i d (aspirin), 150m l sulfuri i c aci d and 77g potassi um or 58g sodi i um ni i trate = 1 : 3,75 : 1,9 - acetylsali i cyli c aci d : sulfuric acid : potassium nitrate.
Fi rst time I attempted to produce PA (picric acid) I used the ratios mentioned in "Ki tchen Im provised Blasting Caps" by Tim m Lewis and Mega's site. They suggest to use 100 crushed aspiri i n tabl l ets/ 37,5g (very vague but some peopl l e mentioned the acetylsalicyli i c aci d content to be 0,375g per tabl l et - maybe standard in the US?), 700ml l sulfuric acid (!) and 75g of ei i ther potassium or sodi um nitrate. I think this i i s too m m uch sulfuri c aci i d: when I poured the ni trated mi i x in the crushed ice & water it warmed so m m uch al l l the ice m m el ted and the shit was stil l warm. The yiel l d was ca. 8g from 30g acetylsalicyli i c aci d :-( acetylsalicyli i c aci d purificati on
1. 120 aspirin tablets each containing 500mg acetylsali cyl ic acid and 50mg starch & microcri stall ine cellul l ose was crushed to powder.
2. Thi s powder was dumped in 600m l of 60 °C ethanol (denaturated brand wi i th 1% butanone) causing the acetyl sal icyl ic acid to di i ssolve.
3. The hot alcohol l /acetylsali cyli c aci i d soluti i on was fi ltered through two coffee filters.
4. The normall l y cl ear l l iquid (a l l ittle brown/yell ow colori i ng resulted from using non-bl l eached fi lter paper) was evaporated on a boi ling waterbath in a 2l steel l bowl . Thi s took about 80 minutes.
5. The resul l t: pure, crystal l line acetylsali cyl ic aci i d.
6. The acetylsali i cyli c acid crystal l s were spread in a glass dish and heated i i n oven at 70 °C for 30 m m inutes to evaporate the remai ni ng ethanol. Result: 56g (60g theoreti call y) nitrati on
7. Then the 56g aci d crystals were put in a 500m l erlenmeyerflask contai ning 220ml concentrated sul furic acid 96% % .
8. The acid was heated to di ssolve the crystals. (Temp. around 70 °C)
9. 220ml sulfuric acid fail ed to di ssolve al l l 56g acetylsalicyli i c aci d. Sm al l porti ons sul furi c aci d was added until all l acetylsalicyli i c acid was dissol ved. Finally a total of 330ml sul furic acid was used.
10. The dark red solution (~400m m l) was poured i i n an 1000ml erlenmeyerflask. To prevent spreadi ng clouds of NOx a 100m l erlenmeyerflask was put upside down i i n the mouth of the 1000ml erlenmeyerfl l ask and only removed for nitrate additi i on.
11. The addition of 115g dry potassium nitrate (outsi de) was carried out in sm al l porti ons using a folded pi i ece of paper. Thi s took 75 m m inutes. (The color of the solution changes with the addi ti on of the nitrate from very dark red to a yellow/orange tone.)
12. After all l potassium ni trate was added the solution was al l lowed to cool to room temperature. The hot l l iquid was cl ear, whi i le cooling many ti ny yel low crystals precipated until it was m m ore or less thick slurry. (simi i lar to AP slurry)
Preci pitation & purificati on
13. A 1,5l glass standi ng in a plasti c bowl was fill l ed with 750g fi ne crushed ice (di i stil led water) and 250m m l cold disti lled water.
14. The acid was poured slowly i i nto the ice/water mix. Because the acid was poured not sl owly enough a *big* foam m ing started and some of the yell ow foam m and li i qui d was lost by overfl l ow. SH IT - i i wanted to know the yield of this m m ethod! A li ttl e red-brown NO x gas was released too, i think it was trapped in the foam.
15. M M ost of the crystals collected at the bottom of the gl l ass after 20m in, ca. 700ml l l l iquid were carefull y poured off and replaced by 500m l cold di stil led water.
16. After waiting a few minutes for the crystal l s to settl e agai n , the content was filtered through a coffee fi lter. The resul l ti ng li qui d was disposed and the crystals scooped out of the filter. (No metal l s here, use wood or pl astic!) Result: 120g of wet picri i c acid wi i th unknown water content.
17. Now the 120g pi i cric acid crystals were dissol ved i i n 300ml boi ling di stil led water and then cooled to 25 °C (perhaps cooling i i t down to let' s say 10 °C woul d increase the yi eld a littl e bit...) Again fil l tering through a coffee fil ter the crystals were scooped out of the fi lter and pl l aced i i n a pyrex di i sh.
Drying & & further processing
18. The pyrex di sh with the PA was placed in an oven set to 80 °C, which was checked wi i th a digital therm om eter. (most of the ti me the tem p. was around 75 °C) It rem ai ned there for 120 mi nutes.
19. The total amount of dry PA was 44g. What the fuck? There where 76g water in the first fil l tered crystal porti on??? Or are there so much impurities that dissol l ve in the washing??? I filtered at ca. 25 °C, perhaps cooling i i t down to let' s say 10 °C would i i ncrease the yield a littl e bit...
Optional - Plastic explosive
20. 4,4g white candl l e wax and 2,2g vaseline (peroleum jell y) were mol l ten i i n a hot water bath, poured on the dry PA and kneaded in (suggested i i n KIPE II to produce a plasti i c expl osive). However it didn't get very pl astic although it' s possibl e to form l l ittle bal ls that don't crumbl l e. But wi i thout a container it wil l l not hold together in larger quantities.
21. The 50g explosive mi i x were put i i n a pi i ll box and fired with a 2g AP detonator. Very loud, but not as impressive as I thought. Maybe the wax shit wasn' t the best idea, i i t becomes a l l ittle insensitive.
Manufacturing method 3 – Picric Acid/Trinitrophenol (from aspirin,
From “Preparatory M M anual of Explosives – Ledgard.pdf”
Pi cric acid is a pal e yel low, odorless solid wi th a mel l ting point of 123 celsius. It expl l odes when heated to 300 C. It is relati i vel y insoluble i i n water, but soluble i i n alcohol and benzene. Pi cric acid is toxi i c and can be absorbed through the ski n with effects simi i lar to DNP. Pi i cric acid should be stored wet with 10% water, and kept in a cool place and away from fire. Picric acid wi i ll detonate if rapidly heated or on percussion – the percussion is much hi gher than for most pri mary explosives.
VO D: 7400
Stabili ty: Good
Fl ammabili ty: Burns with smoky flam e but may fl l ash on strong i i gni ti on
Toxicity: Above m m oderate
Classi ficati on: Secondary expl osi ve
Overall val ue (as secondary explosive): High
50 g of aspi rin
350 ml of 95% % ethyl alcohol
350 g of 98% sulfuric acid
115 g of potassium nitrate or 95 g of sodi um nitrate
Sum mary: In thi i s procedure, picric aci d is prepared by the reaction of common aspirin wi i th potassium or sodium nitrate in the presence of excess concentrated sulfuri c aci d. After the reaction, the entire m m ixture is then drowned into an excessive amount of i i ce water, whereby the picri c aci d precipitates, and is then col lected by filtration, washed and then dried.
Hazards: Use caution when handling 98% sulfuric acid, which i i s highly corrosive and chars many substances. Extinguish all l fl l ames before usi ng 95% ethyl l alcohol l , which is flamm abl e.
Procedure: Place 50 g of aspirin into a beaker, and then add 350 m m l of 95% ethyl al cohol (note: about 50 g of aspi rin can be obtained by crushing up 100, 500 mg tablets of store bought aspiri i n tabl l ets – these crushed up tablets can be added directly to the 350 ml of 95% ethyl alcohol ). Thereafter, stir the mi i xture to full l y dissol ve the aspirin, and then filter off any insol uble im m purities – such as starch, and other fi i ll ers (if using medical aspirin tablets), and then recrystalli i ze the aspiri i n from the 95% % ethyl alcohol sol ution. Thereafter, vacuum dry or air-dry the coll ected aspi i ri n crystals. Now, into a clean flask equipped wi i th thermom m eter, motorized sti i rrer and powder funnel, place 350 g of 98% sul furic aci i d, and then place thi i s fl l ask into an ice bath, and chil l l to 0 celsi us. Thereafter, sl owly add i i n small portions, 115 g of potassium nitrate or 95 g of sodium nitrate to the sulfuric acid over a
period of about 1 hour, whi le rapidly stirring the sulfuric acid, and mai i ntaining i i ts temperature below 5 cel l si us. After the addi tion of the sodi um or potassi i um ni i trate, sl owly add the dry recrystall ized aspi rin, i i n small l portions, over a peri i od of about 1 hour whi le rapidly stirring the sulfuric acid/nitrate mixture, and keeping i i t temperate below 5 cel si us. After the addition of the aspi rin, repl l ace the powder funnel wi i th a condenser, and reflux the m m ixture for 2 hours at 60 celsius whi le rapid stirring. After 2 hours, remove the heat source and all l ow the reaction mixture to cool to room temperature. Then gradual ly add the reacti i on mi xture to 1500 m m l of i i ce water, and then all l ow the entire m m ixture to stand for 3 hours. Thereafter, fi lter off the precipi i tated pi cric acid, wash excessivel l y with 10, 250 ml l portions of ice cold water. Note: washi i ng with base to remove traces of acid should be avoided as
form ation of the correspondi ng picrate salts may develop. After the washing process, vacuum m dry or ai i r dry the solid product.
Note, equipm ent used: a condenser and a hot plate stirrer i i s a bonus but not required.
Manufacturing method 4 – Picric Acid/Trinitrophenol (from aspirin,
Crush 20, 5 grai i n aspi i ri n tablets and add 1 tsp. of water to it to make a paste.
2. Stir in 1/2 cup of ethyl l alcohol to the aspi rin paste and then filter the solution to rem m ove any solid particles.
Evaporate the alcohol and recover the crystals that are left.
Pour 1/3 cup of concentrated sul furic acid i i nto a large jar and add the crystal l s from the alcohol soluti i on.
Heat the aci i d i i n a sim m mering hot water bath for 15 mins. The acid should turn a reddish color.
Now add 15 gms. of potassi um nitrate to the acid 5 gms. at a tim e whil l e sti i rring.
Let the aci i d cool to room m tem m perature then pour the acid sl owl y into 1 1/2 cups of water and let it cool l down again.
Filter off the parti cl es of pi i cric acid and wash them m wi i th 1 cup of i i ce water. Dry these crystal l s before using them.
Pi cric acid is a very strong dye. Contact with it wi i ll stain just about anything. Picric acid also reacts wi th metal to form pi i crate salts that are a hazard.
Bullseye gunpowder + NM
A high explosive can be composed out of bullseye gunpowder. Nitromethane is added to a quarter kilo of bullseye until it is the consistency of thick gel. Then one eighth of a kilo of pure ammonium nitrate (from cold packs) is added to it and kneaded. This is placed in a plastic bag and detonated in a metal pipe with #8 detonator. This has twice the power of C4.