pdf viewer in asp.net c# : How to add image to pdf acrobat application control utility azure web page winforms visual studio AgSept2014backgroundnotesPDF1-part63

1) My primary concern is the crossing over Lilac Grove and I understand that concerns were raised at the Broxtowe Transport 
Sub Committee. A large p
roportion of traffic over the bridge turns here including trucks and buses. The drawings don’t indicate 
any changes to the road markings at this location. I would ask if there ought to be some white lines across or a raised table to 
indicate the correct route for cyclists and encourage caution by motorists (as would be the norm in Germany etc). Should the 
right of way signs be moved back behind the cycle crossing? I have attached a few photos of exemplar cases of road markings 
for this type of crossing both in the UK and abroad.  
2)  Cyclists may gather speed descending the bridge, we sadly are aware of excessive speeds on other paths nearby, should 
there be a short section of granite sett surface say 5m from the ends of the path to discourage fast cycling at this point (this is 
used in Germany to good effect in avoiding conflicts with pedestrians? 
3)  I would suggest a new route sign at the Southern (Technology drive / Lilac grove) end indicating the route to NCN 6 (i.e. 
Attenborough / Chilwell / University / City centre with 6 in brackets). Where possible any new direction signs would go on 
square or double poles to prevent them being turned. 
For any future projects, do you have a mailing list for stakeholder consultation on changes to road layouts & new cycle routes? 
We would be interested in any significant changes in the greater Nottingham area.  
Many thanks, Brian 
Brian Goss MSc MIET 
….reply from Mike Hawkings, Notts CC, 19 Aug:
Dear Hugh, 
Thank you for your email of today endorsing Brian's own comments on the cycle path work currently being undertaken around 
Lilac Grove, Beeston. An hour or two previously to receiving this I sent an email to Brian with my replies to those comments - 
please see the message below. 
Mike Hawkings 
Principal Project Engineer (Bridges) 
Highways and Structures 
Environment and Resources 
Nottinghamshire County Council 
Tel. 0115 977 4245 (Direct) 
-----Original Message----- 
From: Mike Hawkings 
Sent: 19 August 2014 10:20 
To: 'brian' 
Cc: 'Rob Driver'; 'Phil Knight' 
Subject: RE: Comments re: Beeston Station Railway Bridge Cycle path 
Dear Brian, 
Thank you for your email to my colleague Phil Knight expressing your support for the scheme. I apologise for my delay in 
replying; I have been on leave and only returned yesterday.  Thank you also for your three suggestions to improve the scheme. 
My comments on each of these are as follows: 
1. As you will be aware any changes to a road layout must go through a safety audit by our Accident Investigation Unit. The 
scheme as designed passed but one of the factors considered by AIU at the time was the poor visibility to Station Road of road 
users approaching the junction along Lilac Grove. This only becomes better when looking up towards the bridge as the road 
user gets very close to the current Give Way line. As such it we do not consider it beneficial to move the Give Way signs further 
back from the junction. It was also felt that more demarcation of the correct route for cyclists could give the impression to 
inexperienced cyclists that they have the right of way. In our design the correct route is fixed by the width of the dropped kerbs 
on each side. 
2.  I can see that speeds may be an issue when descending. The large areas of tactile paving in the junction areas may 
however have some effect in slowing cyclists down. I would be interested in any details you have for the granite setts you 
suggest. You state that these have been used to avoid conflict with pedestrians. Does this mean that they cannot be used in 
pedestrian areas - e.g. unsegregated paths? Making a possible trip hazard is something that comes to mind. In our case 
however a major consideration would be cost. The scheme in its current form was only given the go-ahead as it could be 
constructed to the available budget (in fact it was very slightly over this figure). Such a detail as you suggest may come into the 
"nice to have" category I believe, and may have been considered if more funding had been available. Maybe "Cyclists Slow" 
white lining could be an alternative? 
3. A new sign as you suggest may be useful and we will look into this. 
Regarding consultation on future schemes a useful contact for you may be Paul Hillier, a Principal Officer within the Transport 
Planning and Programme Development team. His email address is paul.hillier@nottscc.gov.uk. Paul would be happy to answer 
questions on future proposals for cycle routes. 
Thank you once again for your comments. 
Mike Hawkings 
Principal Project Engineer (Bridges) 
Highways and Structures 
Environment and Resources 
How to add image to pdf acrobat - insert images into PDF in C#.net, ASP.NET, MVC, Ajax, WinForms, WPF
Sample C# code to add image, picture, logo or digital photo into PDF document page using PDF page editor control
how to add an image to a pdf in reader; how to add image to pdf
How to add image to pdf acrobat - VB.NET PDF insert image library: insert images into PDF in vb.net, ASP.NET, MVC, Ajax, WinForms, WPF
Guide VB.NET Programmers How to Add Images in PDF Document
add picture to pdf file; add jpg to pdf
Nottinghamshire County Council 
Tel. 0115 977 4245 (Direct) 
Constraints on using veloSTRAIL on NET track systems: comments of 2 Aug from John Palethorpe to Anna Soubry 
Dear Anna ,Hugh, 
As these emails bounce about what intrigues me is how some very valid and as in this case professionally evidenced 
contributions get 'walked over' or just plainly ignored by some later commentator depending on where there interests lie. We 
know that some people were desperate to have the tram at whatever cost and any available route going. Others (we are in this 
group) cautiously could see its benefits but asked for more fully worked out solutions to envisaged problems which are now 
upon us and doubt more to come when actually up and running. 
If land and property could be compulsorily purchased to put the tram through why did the local authority who all local ordinary 
residents rely upon for fair balanced development not ensure the same approach for safe cycle routes even if this resulted in 
the odd garden or so having a meter or two shaved off it to allow linking paths / cycle-ways to pass through and avoid this 
difficult section of Chilwell / Beeston high road. In the overall context of a multi-million pound project that will serve us for 
decades these were small issues in comparison but will now be difficult to resolve as standalone issues until accident black 
spot statistics prove that action needs taking but this is always at the expense of someone else's misfortune.   
The ongoing lack of basic warning signage is of real interest to us and I have photographically recorded this for a legal claim 
against the local authority. Our major concern is that we are going to have another tragedy as in the Hucknall situation where 
local people with unbiased common sense could see what the likely outcome was going to be but there appeals for action and 
a safe solution were ignored until a double fatal tragedy had occurred on two separate occasions.  
What seems to have happened here is that an 'anticipated' inadequate budget for completing the tram works has meant that 
the local authority have failed to insist upon and ensure that safety systems developed abroad to eliminate accident black spots 
have not been built in here on the grounds of cost / maintenance.  
Is the use of the Velostrail system in Geneva and Hamburg a figment of Dave Holladay’s imagination, (re his email attached to
Roger Harrison LRTF 4th July) do the facts and statistics he quotes in his email not have validity, how could a local authority 
and its nominated tram builder allow this opportunity to 'build out' accident black spots with a combination of strategically 
placed  Velostrail along with practical and safe cycle routes, pass it by. The cost will be there in the end, A&E costs, road 
delays, legal actions, ordinary cyclists discouraged from cycling, days off work and dare I say possibly worse. 
Where the tram goes off piste from the college through to Cator Lane would a footpath / cycle path be a possibility to link up 
with a route between Devonshire Avenue, Park Road, Grove Avenue etc  This should have all been anticipated and planned in 
and insisted upon back in the early stages and certainly something agreed after the public inquiry back in November  2007. 
Anna as my conservative MP please could you on my behalf as one of your constituents take this subject up with the 
local authority and the tram builder. If we all have resort to successful legal claims against a local authority to get things 
done it seems self-defeating in terms of value for money. As local residents and tax payers we are just going to end up paying 
larger insurance bills to cover our own local authority's inadequacies in dealing with development on this scale in a fair and un 
biased un political way. 
Regards, John 
…my reply of 26 Aug to John:
Thanks for these further comments which raise a number of important questions, to which I will attempt to provide answers 
from the best of my knowledge and recollections of the many discussions Pedals has had over many years with regard to both 
the original NET Line, and the two current extensions under construction. 
Firstly, on your point about why there is to be no tramside path east of Cator Lane (which was certainly considered), I think that 
there 3 reasons:- 
The much greater space constraints alongside the tram tracks than on the stretches west of Cator Lane. 
A reluctance to have to CPO (extra) land from back gardens just for a cycle path or shared footpath/cycleway, given 
the att
itude that this was not ‘strictly necessary’ in the way that land for the tram tracks themselves was held to be, 
and that this was regarded as just likely to aggravate a very sensitive local issue. 
A belief, which up until about 2-3 years ago Pedals also shared, that it would be possible to find other solutions for 
cyclists’ safety in this area (Cator Lane to Central), away from the tram tracks, via quieter back streets etc., without 
having to insist on a route right alongside the tram, the limits for which had anyway been settled since the Public 
Inquiry in 2007. It was only after a series of meetings early in 2012, once the NET extensions had secured final 
approval, and, in particular a special site meeting in March 2012, that it became clear how very difficult that was 
proving to be. I might also mention that, from what I know of planning cycle routes more generally, that compulsory 
acquisition of land for a cycle path has been very rare, probably because of a perception among many local 
authorities that cyclists are only a marginal group, and an irresponsible and badly behaved one as well, so that 
CPO’ing land to help cyclists would prove that much more unpopular than CPOs in general tend to be anyway!
.NET PDF Document Viewing, Annotation, Conversion & Processing
Convert image files to PDF. File & Page Process. Annotate & Comment. Add, insert PDF native annotations to PDF file. Support for all the print modes in Acrobat PDF
add jpg signature to pdf; add a picture to a pdf file
C# PDF Converter Library SDK to convert PDF to other file formats
without using other external third-party dependencies like Adobe Acrobat. you can easily perform file conversion from PDF document to image or document
adding image to pdf form; add picture pdf
Secondly, on your points about the use of Velostrail, my recollection is that it is only in the last few years that experience of 
using this in other countries, and including cities such as Hamburg and Geneva, as in the slides you attached, has been drawn 
to our attention, by Dave Holladay, from Transport Management Solutions, who works with CTC on Public Transport issues and 
who, I know, is a consultant with very extensive knowledge and experience of both heavy and light rail systems, as well as 
cycling issues, both in the UK and other countries. 
As far as I recall, we did not know about Velostrail not only during our earlier discussions about the plans for NET Line One, but 
also during our earlier discussions about the Phase Two extension lines, from the first public consultation in 2003-4 up to the 
Public Inquiry in Autumn 2007. For about 4 years after that, until the final go-ahead in late 2011, we rather put NET extension 
issues ‘on the back burner’. not knowing if they would be implemented, and I think it was only when we started a new round of
discussions and meetings, from December 2011, that we got to know about Velostrail and then suggested its use at selected 
locations on the new lines including the stretch in front of Central College. 
I don’t recall who made the comment you mention in your footnote 
para to me about Velostrail only being of value at 90 degree 
crossings but will let you know if I do manage to track that down. 
Best wishes 
Hugh, for Pedals 
….comments of 28 Aug from Cllr. Steve Barber:
Dear All 
When we asked the questions at a technical level at the Light Rail conference it was unfortunately agreed by all including Dave 
Holladay that design, construction, ordering and delivery was then at such an advanced stage as to be highly unlikely and very 
expensive that Velostrail could be deployed at that point (last May). The rail depths and profile are entirely different. Now that 
track is actually laid I would say that it is not possible; let's move on to finding and working on other solutions, here and 
Personally I always had reservations about Velostrail, on the grounds that it could become more dangerous as it deteriorates 
but it does seem to be working elsewhere. 
Basically some you win and some you don't, but it's not through lack of effort. 
Councillor Steve Barber, Broxtowe Borough Council 
..comments from Dave Holladay, CTC and Transport Management Solutions (28 Aug): 
I'd agree on that position for existing and current build. There was a request to look at the possibility of veloSTRAIL on one foot-
crossing where the potential of catching castor wheels on mobility aids was an identified hazard which would need a risk 
management plan, but with the line of sight, and nearby tram stop, generally raising the ability to stop clear of any user's wheel 
becoming trapped in the flangeway, and the hazard of 'ejection' from a wheelchair or similar at the likely low speed of crossing 
also being low, the effort to engineer the units to fit the track design already committed to for just one location would not be 
easily justified cost-wise.  It would not be impossible but it would require special, non-standard base-units.  The height of the 
lighter rail section (used for the tram in place of the standard (known in UK as BR 113) for main-line rail) combined with the 
specification of rail fixing clips, left too small a measurement to use the standard, proven, veloSTRAIL panel and a reduced 
thickness of the supporting base unit - or a metal plate or reinforcement system would have been required to make it work.  
However there remains funding available for innovation and resolving issues such as the hazards presented by crossing rails 
set in a road surface with various wheeled 'vehicles', and we do have examples of retro-fitting, and tramway-style installation, in 
With veloSTRAIL only having its first regular use in 2006, and only this year receiving type approval by Network Rail for use on 
main-line rail routes, it has (in railway/major project terms) arrived very late in the day to be written into the specification.  I used 
to work with a company supplying control systems for power stations, and we had to be providing sample systems to test and 
develop 10-20 years before, that big order for the full suite of control panels came in. Turning round something like this, quickly, 
in a highly regulated regime, which requires significant certification, on safety and fitness for purpose, is a big challenge. It is 
not totally impossible, as the maxim of "you can do/set up anything in 24 hours if the will to do it is there" also holds true, but 
with that comes a fairly hefty potential for budget 'damage'. 
Keep veloSTRAIL in mind, consider how it may be planned for, and even designed in to rail renewals in the future, but unless 
there is a compelling case to make last minute changes (with the consequential impact on the budgeted costs for the project) 
we may have to let this one lie. 
I would highlight to Steve on his reservations about wear & tear, that the 2006 installation is still using original inserts, with rail 
and road traffic well above the performance that STRAIL declares as its basic standard. 
I hope to include an element on veloSTRAIL in a linked-up 'virtual' presentation on some of the alternative track construction 
systems supplied elsewhere, but not currently on UK systems by STRAILastic, and will keep those interested advised as this 
comes together. 
Dave Holladay         
….comments of 5 Sept from Dave du Feu, Spokes (Edinburgh cycling campaign):
Hi Hugh 
Sorry for non-reply; life is just too busy! 
This quote from the email rings a bell with me up here... 
C# Windows Viewer - Image and Document Conversion & Rendering in
without using other external third-party dependencies like Adobe Acrobat. Image and Document Conversion Supported by Windows Viewer. Convert to PDF.
add picture to pdf; how to add image to pdf in preview
C# powerpoint - PowerPoint Conversion & Rendering in C#.NET
using other external third-party dependencies like Adobe Acrobat. SDK to convert PowerPoint document to PDF document code for PowerPoint to TIFF image conversion
add photo pdf; add multiple jpg to pdf
We know that some people were desperate to have the tram at whatever cost and any available route going. Others (we are in 
this group) cautiously could see its benefits but asked for more fully worked out solutions to envisaged problems which are now 
upon us and doubt more to come when actually up and running. 
There are many ways in which our basic track layout could have been much better for cycling (and probably walk and bus) but 
where the political need/wish to move forward with the tram project over-rode proper consultation or proper consideration of 
these factors, in our view.  Now we have several real danger points - one especially at Haymarket where we are still hearing of 
2 or so reported crashes a month, nearly all with minor injuries and a few more serious. 
PS. TravelRight Broxtowe proposed tram tracks safety advice rides 
Gina Musa, recently back from holiday, tells me that they proposed soon to run a special series of rides to give safety advice 
tips for cyclists in areas affected by the new tram tracks. 
‘’Bridal path’ saga, Attenborough riverside path.
We have been trying for several years to get some action on this signing problem sage, without any success as far as I can 
see. How can we therefor give some fresh momentum to our campaigning on this longstanding issue? 
cycle signing issues in the vicinity of Clifton Bridge and the Queen's Drive Park and Ride site and update re signing 
review: message of 3 Sept from John Lee, City Council: 
I’ll be looking at this area over the next couple of weeks and all being well should have some signs schedules 
and locations 
marked on a plan during October / November for your comment 
these will tie in and complement the Big Track signage that 
went in a couple of years ago with additions to include the Trent path to Wilford and Fairham Brook path from Clifton Lane, 
Silverdale to Clifton  
John Lee,  
Public Rights of Way, Traffic and Safety  
Development, Nottingham City Council 
PS. I will give a verbal report on my site meeting of 8 Sept with John Lee. 
Hucknall Road / Ring Road works - Pedals comments of 21 Aug to Rachel Jones, City Council: 
Dear Rachel 
Thank you for your message of 13 August and the attached plans which we discussed at the Pedals meeting on Monday. 
In general we support the stated goal of directing most through motor traffic onto dedicated main roads such as the Ring Road 
as this will then open up opportunities for giving more space on other roads back to pedestrians and cyclists. However, we do 
have some specific concerns with these plans as now being implemented, particularly bearing in mind the key importance for 
cyclists of the Ring Road as a relatively flat corridor connecting the south-west, west and northern sides of Nottingham, 
including major destinations such as the two major hospitals and Nottingham University. Even with the extra cycling facilities we 
have to recognise the fact that some cyclists, especially those who are more confident and experienced, will prefer to continue 
cycling on the road, as the faster and more direct route. 
I have limited my comments to those which we think can be reasonably accommodated as I understand that at this very late 
stage only relatively minor changes will be possible:- 
- Each road arm has a 2-stage toucan crossing. If these are not timed appropriately then we fear that those using these 
crossings will always have to wait to cross an arm. If you are crossing two arms then this will involve waiting up to four times. 
They should be timed so that you can cross an arm in one green phase and so that you never have to wait more than a few 
seconds for a green light to cross. Ideally cycle detection would be provided at all arms too.  Long delays for cyclists using 
these crossings can be counter-productive and then effectively encourage them to go back to using the road. 
- When heading north along Hucknall Road, cyclists are required to rejoin the carriageway. As now shown, we fear that this 
will be implemented in a fairly dangerous way, especially since at this point motor vehicles will be accelerating away from the 
roundabout. We think that the layout as shown will require cyclists to make an inconvenient over the shoulder observation 
where an error could have dangerous consequences. We would like to see physical segregation to aid cyclists in their 
reintegration into the roadway as is done for example at the Broadgate end of the High Road contraflow cycle lane in Beeston, 
to assist westbound cyclists. 
- In your response, you mention "Side-road entry treatments will be introduced by raising the carriageway onto a platform to 
C# Word - Word Conversion in C#.NET
using other external third-party dependencies like Adobe Acrobat. Word SDK to convert Word document to PDF document. demo code for Word to TIFF image conversion
add png to pdf preview; adding a jpeg to a pdf
VB.NET PDF: How to Create Watermark on PDF Document within
Using this VB.NET Imaging PDF Watermark Add-on, you can a watermark that consists of text or image (such as And with our PDF Watermark Creator, users need no
adding a png to a pdf; how to add a jpeg to a pdf
provide a level running surface.". This sounds like it is a positive step forward.  As discussed at our meeting a year ago on the 
Ring Road Major Project more generally we hope that as far as possible that there will be actual priority across side roads for 
pedestrians and cyclists. 
We agreed that it would have been helpful if we could have had an opportunity to comment on the latest plans for this junction 
at an earlier stage and very much hope that this will now be the case for future phases of the Ring Road Major, especially at 
Crown Island. 
Best wishes 
for Pedals 
From: Rachel Jones [mailto:Rachel.Jones@nottinghamcity.gov.uk]  
Sent: 13 August 2014 14:41 
To: Hugh McClintock 
Cc: Keith Morgan 
Subject: RE: Hucknall Road / Ring Road works 
Hello Hugh 
Thank you for your email. The detailed design had only just been completed before the drop-in session last week.  The design 
concept has not changed 
only minor tweaking of the toucan crossings in relation to frontage access on Valley Road and 
Hucknall Road south.   
This scheme is unique in that it is one of the only highway improvement projects to increase traffic capacity by addressing key 
problems that will encourage motorists to use the Ring Road for cross-city movements; and in the longer term to accommodate 
planned housing growth and new business development.  As previously discussed the benefits for cyclists provided by the 
scheme are new and upgraded crossings along the Ring Road with new facilities at the Aspley Lane and Hucknall Road 
junctions across all four arms.  Side-road entry treatments will be introduced by raising the carriageway onto a platform to 
provide a level running surface.  
Attached is a detailed design plan that is available on the dedicated Ring Road website www.nottinghamcity.gov.uk/ringroad 
and shows how the off-road cycling facilities will be joined up through the new toucan crossings.  We would welcome and 
appreciate any comments from PEDALS and yourself. 
Do not hesitate to contact me if you need any further information. 
Kind regards  
Rachel Jones, Senior Officer, Traffic and Safety  
Development, Nottingham City Council 
Loxley House / Station Street / Nottingham / NG2 3N 
Email: rachel.jones@nottinghamcity.gov.uk Tel: 0115 8765287  
Nottingham Ring Road Improvement Scheme - Crown Island Preparatory Works Notification: message of 28 Aug from 
Rachel Jones: attaching pdf leaflet forwarded on 28 Aug 
Please be advised that works are due to start at Crown Island on the Ring Road 
the elongated dumbbell junction of Wollaton 
Road/Middleton Boulevard/Western Boulevard/Radford Bridge Road from mid-September.  These are advance works required 
to provide additional circulating lanes around the island and will involve extending the subway, relocating the electrical 
substation and building a new retaining wall.  This phase of the scheme will constructed off the highway therefore motorists and 
bus services will be largely unaffected.  However, to accommodate these works, it will be necessary to close the subway to 
pedestrians and cyclists until March 2015. 
The attached leaflet provides information about the works taking place with a plan to show the extents of the construction site 
and the recommended diversion route for pedestrians and cyclists which will be clearly signed on site.  Access to the University 
of Nottingham Jubilee campus site along the southern boundary of the works area will be maintained. 
The highway works are planned to start once this work is completed, currently scheduled for spring 2015 until early 2016.  More 
information will be provided at a later date to explain how the road will be constructed and what impact the works may have on 
traffic and local movements. 
Please do not hesitate to contact me with any queries. 
Kind regards, Rachel Jones,  
Senior Officer Traffic and Safety, Development 
….comments of 6 Sept from Ian Lane
Hi Hugh, 
Sorry for the late reply - on holiday. 
This is quite near me so I took a closer look. I just wanted to say that this is an extremely poor diversion for both peds and 
cyclists. In the worst case it adds two 2-stage toucan crossings, at least one of which is deliberately timed so that those 
crossing always need to wait. I would have liked to have asked for a temporary crossing straight across the road more or less in 
line with the subway. Perhaps we could communicate some kind of displeasure here. 
VB.NET PowerPoint: VB Code to Draw and Create Annotation on PPT
as a kind of compensation for limitations (other documents are compatible, including PDF, TIFF, MS VB.NET PPT: VB Code to Add Embedded Image Object to
adding images to a pdf document; add image pdf document
BMP to PDF Converter | Convert Bitmap to PDF, Convert PDF to BMP
Also designed to be used add-on for .NET Image SDK, RasterEdge Bitmap to PDF Converter can Powerful image converter for Bitmap and PDF files; No need for
how to add a photo to a pdf document; how to add image to pdf in acrobat
I'm now wondering - have you (Pedals) seen and/or commented on the full plans for the works at Crown Island? I've just 
checked out the ring road website and the plans for most of the areas don't seem to be there, sadly - just an 
at Crown Island (which has a cyclist in lane 3, so seems to be quite worrying!). If you have them and/or your comments, I'd 
appreciate it if you could share them with me or provide a link. 
Should be at the meeting this month anyhow. 
Thanks, Iain 
….Nottingham Ring Road Improvement Scheme 
- Crown Island plans: message of 10 Sept from Rachel Jones, City 
Dear Hugh 
Please accept my sincere apologies for the delayed acknowledgement. 
We are not in a position to share the detailed design layout for Crown Island as resources are focussed on the current stage of 
the delivery programme, Hucknall Road roundabout and detailing the next design stage which will be to widen Western 
Boulevard between Southwold Drive and Beechdale Road therefore the design for Crown Island is not fully developed to share 
with stakeholders.  I will keep you updated on progress but would advise this may not be for a couple of months. 
Please contact me if you have any further queries regarding the scheme. 
Kind regards,  
Rachel Jones, Senior Officer, Traffic and Safety  
Development, Nottingham City Council 
Highways Agency A52 (Bramcote to Dunkirk Islands) non-motorised user study follow up; comments from Pedals 
Peter Briggs offered to draft a letter to Joseph Barrow of A-One Plus saying how disappointed we were with what the Highways 
Agency now intended to do in response to this study and our subsequent site meeting in May 2012, but I have not heard any 
more from Peter about this draft. 
Pedals comments of 21 Aug on Rushcliffe BC Planning Application number: 14/01417/OUT - Land East and West Of 
Nottingham Road South Of Clifton: Outline application for the development of a sustainable urban extension 
comprising residential development, employment development and retail development  
Pedals is very glad to see many clear supportive statements for cycling in the proposals, particularly in the Design and Access 
Statement and in the Framework Travel Plan prepared by Lawrence Walker Ltd. 
These include the proposals for various internal and external links and, in the Travel Plan proposals for this development, as 
set out in para 1.4 (p2), measures to provide more travel choice, an implementation strategy for the proposals, suggested 
targets for travel by various modes, including 20% walk / cycle (12% internal) and proposals for monitoring the Travel Plan. A 
strong and consistent emphasis on all of these, in close partnership with other organisations, will be vital to help offset the very 
large traffic-generating effects of such a major development and indeed it would help greatly for stronger targets to be adopted 
as implementation progresses. 
We also very much welcome the initiatives proposed on page 7-8 of the Travel Plan to improve the walk/cycle share, especially 
the installation of a suitable number of covered cycle stands in viable, well lit and safe places; the provision of up to date cycle 
and walking maps and associated health advice; the appointment of a Travel Plan Coordinator for this site and the provision of 
a fully operation Clifton Website as key priority of the Travel Coordinator, as well as other measures including the establishment 
of an Area Sustainable Travel Group and a Cycle Group within Clifton, Welcome Packs for all residents and employees handed 
out as they move in or take up employment, a personalised travel planning service to every resident or employee, and also a 
local cycle repair workshop and pool cycle renting scheme, as mentioned on pages 19-20.  
If the application is approved the developers should be encouraged to work closely not just with the County and Borough 
Council but also on other local organisations with a strong interest in various ways of promoting cycling and other sustainable 
travel, including Pedals, Ridewise, Sustrans and the Greater Nottingham Transport p\partnerships (The Big Wheel) who 
between them have extensive experience of helping to give advice and implement many of these types proposed measures. 
This wider local experience also includes Nottingham City Council’s Citycard bikes scheme, which is now being gradually 
expanded, including several sites outside Nottingham such as the new NET Terminal Park and Ride sites at Clifton and Toton, 
i.e. including a site adjoining the proposed major development area. 
Internal layout: 
We strongly support the objective (Travel Plan, para 4.4, p9) to incorporate within the development pedestrian and cycle 
access ways which are convenient and safe and connect to the local community and transport centres, together with on-site 
facilities for pedestrians and cyclists, with suitable illumination,  
JPEG to PDF Converter | Convert JPEG to PDF, Convert PDF to JPEG
It can be used standalone. JPEG to PDF Converter is able to convert image files to PDF directly without the software Adobe Acrobat Reader for conversion.
add a picture to a pdf; add picture to pdf in preview
PDF to WORD Converter | Convert PDF to Word, Convert Word to PDF
out transformation between different kinds of image files and Word Converter has accurate output, and PDF to Word need the support of Adobe Acrobat & Microsoft
how to add an image to a pdf file; how to add a picture to a pdf document
We also welcome the proposals in the Design and Access Statement for the development to follow ‘Building for Life’ principle
including routes which integrate into the surroundings by reinforcing existing connections and creating new ones, and streets 
designed to encourage lower speeds, to help road safety and particularly movements by vulnerable road users.  We would 
strongly urge that 20mph should be the maximum speed allowed on local roads. 
We note that some of the proposals, as shown on p76 of the DAS ’05 –
Design Principles 
Accessibility’ are for new shared 
cycle / footpaths alongside vehicular routes. Within built-up areas, at least on the more important roads with 30mph limits, 
cycling provision next to highways should in our opinion, and that of DfT advice (as in the 2007 ‘Cycling Infrastructure Desi
Guidance) be on-road, e.g. good standard cycle lanes, with priority at junctions as far as possible rather than off-road paths 
where, in busy urban areas, unless very carefully designed, there is more risk of conflicts with pedestrians, and of conflict with 
motor vehicles at road crossings. 
Having said that there is certainly scope for good standard off-road shared paths, on routes to and from schools, in providing 
direct routes away from main roads across residential areas and open spaces (including ones forming part of the green 
infrastructure corridors for the area) and outside the built-up area, on roads with higher speed limits or no limits, e.g. as 
proposed by the road to Gotham (Bridleway no 1), and also where off-road routes would provide much safer and more direct 
routes to nearby destinations such as Ruddington Country Park and Business Park. 
We would also like to draw attention to the recently published advice (2014) from Cyclenation in its report ‘Making Space for
Cycling: a Guide to New Developments and Street Renewals’, 
http://www.makingspaceforcycling.org/ This includes an 
emphasis on: 
layouts which discourage through traffic and rat-running cars,   
direct routes between places (especially for pedestrians and cyclists),  
areas that are convenient and pleasant to walk around, layouts that facilitate making cut-throughs and 
interconnecting routes for cycling and walking,  
and also which facilitate community interaction and safety. 
External links: 
In addition to these internal layout features, it is very important that any such major new developments have good through and 
internal links which give distinct advantages to safe movements both on foot and by bike and we are glad to see several 
external links in the proposals 
In the case of this development we would like to emphasise that these should include:- 
safe and convenient connections to the cycling provision being included in the A453 widening scheme (and forming a 
further part of Sustrans National Cycle Network Route 15), and including the Barton Lane subway under the new 
A453 east of Barton Lodge, and either, as indicated on Fig 16, the Illustrative Master Plan, a subway under the new 
A453 just south of the new Mill Hill roundabout or a safe crossing (toucan) across the northern arm of the new 
roundabout to provide a safe connection between the shared path being built as part of the NET extension plans 
connecting the roundabout to the new NET Terminal Park and Ride site and the old A453 route to and from Barton in 
Fabis and Thrumpton which is being retained for non-motorised users and general local traffic. 
Safe connections to and from East Midlands Parkway Station, to encourage combined use of bikes and public 
transport, including bike access to and from stations. 
Safe crossing facilities of Nottingham Road between the two halves of the proposed development. 
Safe routes for cyclists alongside the proposed NET extension through the proposed development 
Ensuring that all the pedestrian links between the new development and the existing Clifton area, as shown on 
Diagram 1667-P-300 Rev E, are developed as shared path links, i.e. with a 3 metre width to help the safety and 
comfort of all users, pedestrian, cyclist and wheelchair users. 
On the east side of the development these shared path links should include good links to the existing paths in the 
(fairly flat) Fairham Brook corridor, between Clifton and Ruddington, and including good links to and from other cycle 
routes in the Clifton and Wilford, particularly in the Clifton Lane / Clifton Bridge areas, but also to and from 
Ruddington Country Park and Ruddington Business Park. A safe direct link between the new development and the 
Business Park, as well as encouraging cycling to those important destinations, would be one important way of 
helping to address what we understand are the great pubic concerns about the possible impact of these proposals in 
further aggravating problems associated with through traffic in Ruddington, and their probable worsening as a result 
both of the A453 widening scheme and this major new development. 
As the development progresses these plans should also take into account plans for the development of Route 50 of 
the Sustrans National Cycle Network between Nottingham and Leicester, via Ruddington Country Park and 
Watermead Country Park, etc., with links to Loughborough etc. This could perhaps be linked to the proposed 
bridleway route alongside the road to Gotham.  
It is also important for these plans for external links to take account of potential safe connections to the evolving 
plans for the proposed HS2 Cycleway alongside the HS2 railway from London and Birmingham to Leeds, Phase 2 of 
which will be passing within about 3km of the west of the site, to the north of East Midlands Parkway Station and 
crossing the Trent north of Redhill and Thrumpton towards the east side of Long Eaton etc. The HS2 Cycleway, to 
run within 3 miles (5km) of the railway is the subject of a DfT-sponsored Feasibility Study by Consultants, due to be 
completed by the end of 2014, we understand. 
There is much to welcome in these proposals to help promote cycling as an integral part of the development.  
If the application is approved the developers should be encouraged to work closely not just with the County and Borough 
Council but also on other local organisations with a strong interest in various ways of promoting cycling and other sustainable 
travel, including Pedals, Ridewise, the Greater Nottingham Transport Partnership (The Big Wheel) and Sustrans who between 
them have extensive experience of helping to give advice and implement many of the proposed measures, as well as making 
full use of the proposed ways of maintaining a dialogue with cyclists in the new development and getting feedback to assist the 
develop of further local cycling promotion.. 
3. Report on recent meetings / events by people who have attended on behalf of Pedals 
27 Aug meeting with John Grimshaw re HS2 cycleway feasibility study (follow-up to meeting of 30 July) 
Verbal report to be given at the 15 Aug meeting by Hugh and Brian. 
28 Aug meeting to discuss progressing proposals for a new cycle-pedestrian bridge over the Trent in the Trent Basin - 
The Hook (Ladybay) area, held at the offices of Blueprint Regeneration, 48-
50, St Mary’s Gate, Nottingham
..my message of 2 Sept to possible interested people, attaching the minutes 
You may be interested to know about this meeting held last week by various people interested in reviving the idea of building a 
cycle-pedestrian bridge across the Trent somewhere downstream of Ladybay Bridge and connecting the Colwick Park and 
National Water Sports Centre areas. This has been a long dream of Pedals and we supported the previous proposal for such a 
bridge, about 20 years ago by Nottingham City Council. That failed because of objections from the Nottingham Sailing Club so 
for some years there seemed little chance of reviving it.  
However, I am very glad to say that there has been a lot more interest recently, particularly from John Rhodes of Trent Park 
Developments (who built the Riverside Crescent, and a new stretch of north bank riverside path) about 6 years ago, and now 
also from Nick Ebbs of Blueprint Regeneration, who with the Homes and Communities Agency is planning a major housing 
scheme in the Trent Basin area west of Trent Lane and south of Daleside Road. The first phase of this recently got planning 
permission and Nick, like John, is very keen to see the later phases of this development, and other likely redevelopments in the 
area, contribute towards a bridge between Trent Lane and The Hook open space by the Ladybay area of West Bridgford. A 
bridge would also connect to various proposed developments in Rushcliffe as to well to the many existing and proposed 
stretches of riverside path on both banks of the Trent, including The Big Track and to the National Water Sports Centre as well 
as other routes. 
What really however could be a game changer in the prospects for at last getting this link built is the strong interest we are now 
getting from Sustrans, who were represented at the meeting last week and are, together with other partners including the City, 
County and Rushcliffe Borough Council representatives, keen to hold another meeting soon to follow up this new interest.  We 
are very encouraged by these developments and keen now not only to go about securing a variety of funding sources for the 
project but also to go about building up wide support, from a variety of organisations on both sides of the river, as well as 
individuals. Please let me know at this stage if you would like to be kept informed of future developments or wish to raise any 
questions. We would much value your interest and support 
Hugh McClintock 
Notes of 28 Aug 2014 meeting to discuss progressing proposals for a new cycle-pedestrian bridge over the Trent in 
the Trent Basin - The Hook (Ladybay) area, held at the offices of Blueprint Regeneration, 48-
50 St Mary’s Gate, 
Hugh McClintock, Pedals, and Chair, Nottingham Local Access Forum (HMcC) 
Nick Ebbs, Blueprint Regeneration / Igloo (NE) 
John Rhodes, Trent Park Developments (Riverside Crescent), Nottingham Civic Society, and Pedals (JR) 
Gwyneth McMinn, Network Development Manager (East Midlands), Sustrans (GM) 
Cllr. Steve Calvert, West Bridgford Central and South Division, and Vice-Chair,  
Transport and Highways, Nottinghamshire County Council (SC) 
Keith Morgan, Nottingham City Council (Transport Strategy) (KM) 
Cllr. Richard Mallender, local Councillor for Ladybay, Rushcliffe Borough Council, and  
Chair of the West Bridgford Local Area Forum (RM) 
Apologies for absence were received from:             
Cllr. John Bannister, Rushcliffe Borough Council (JB), and Chair of the West Bridgford Local Traffic and Transport Group. 
Tom Huggon, Nottingham Civic Society and Nottm Local Access Forum, etc. (TH) 
Introduction: HMcC 
HMcC opened the meeting by giving a summary of the background to the proposed bridge, including the various previous 
attempts, supported by Pedals, to provide a cycle-pedestrian bridge connecting the Colwick Park and Water Sports Centre 
areas, somewhere east of Ladybay bridge, and including the much earlier bridge proposal forming part of the City Council’s 
former ‘Emerald Necklace’ Open Spaces Enhancement Strategy scheme. This had failed because of opposition from the 
Nottingham Sailing Club, based on the south bank just west of the Water Sports Centre at Holme Pierrepont. He then 
mentioned the more recent interest by John Rhodes and Nick Ebbs in building a bridge further west in the Trent Lane - 
Ladybay (The Hook) area directly related to various new major redevelopment proposals north of the Trent, and to existing and 
proposed extensions of the riverside path on the north bank of the Trent.  
He said that the major changes being implemented as part of the Nottingham Waterside Scheme and also the major housing 
developments on the south side of the Trent, in Rushcliffe (and especially in the Gamston-Tollerton area) could provide new 
opportunities to secure funding for the bridge, in addition to the new Sustrans potential interest. As a bridge for commuting as 
well as recreational use, such a bridge could help greatly to give strong encouragement to people living in the new areas south 
of the Trent to commute by bike to the City Centre and other employment areas north of the river. Current access, either via 
Ladybay Bridge or Trent Bridge, was very difficult and intimidating, especially for less confident and experienced cyclists, and it 
was not realistic to expect most cyclists to make extensive detours to use the Suspension Bridge, important as this certainly 
was for people living in the rest of West Bridgford, and Ruddington, as well as areas in the City such as The Meadows and 
Wilford etc. 
Another important piece of evidence in support of the case for the bridge, in terms of leisure cycling, HMcC mentioned, is the 
recent Sport England / 
DfT survey published earlier this year,(‘Statistical Release ‘Local Area Walking and
Cycling Statistics: 
England 2012/13). This showed that levels of leisure cycling (as opposed to commuter cycling) in Rushcliffe Borough are the 
third highest in the country, 18%, only 2% lower than the highest level, 20%, in Winchester (Table 8, p6). The national average 
for England is 14.7%.  Leisure cycling in this survey was defined as the number of people in each local authority area claiming 
to have made at least one leisure cycling trip during the previous month. The same survey (Table CW01011) gave a figure for 
23% of residents in Rushcliffe claiming to have to have walked or cycled at least once during the previous month. 
HMcC also stressed the need for the proposed bridge development to learn from wider experience with such cycle-pedestrian 
bridges, e.g. with regard to public acceptability, perceptions of the probable impact of crime, biodiversity and landscape 
impacts, etc, and particularly with from the various Sustrans Connect 2 projects implemented with Lottery Funding since 2008, 
and focusing on overcoming barriers to sustainable travel such as major road and river crossings.  
The nearest example to Nottingham is the very successful Connect 2 Project in the Watermead Country Park area to the north 
of Leicester and involving not one major new bridge but a whole series of smaller new and upgraded bridges and paths to 
improve access through the area from villages to the north, in the River Soar Valley, across the A46 (Leicester Northern 
bypass). These connect to the heart of Leicester via the River Soar and Grand Union Canal via Sustrans NCN6, as well as 
NCN48. The whole Watermead Park Connect 2 Project was finished early in 2013, with the completion of the Three Rivers 
Bridge south of Cossington. 
It also included improved connections to other surrounding communities and suburbs, on the west and east sides of the 
Country Park. This straddles the City / County boundary in Leicestershire so implementation required the close cooperation of 
all local authorities, another lesson of direct relevance for our proposed project. 
For cyclists the proposed bridge would greatly enhance access to Sustrans National Cycle Network 15, on the south bank, part 
of a route being developed across the county, http://www.sustrans.org.uk/ncn/map/route/route-15 This is now being expanded 
with the new provision as part of the A453 widening scheme between the M1 and Clifton, connecting to Kegworth and East 
Midlands Airport in the west, and to Aslockton in the east, with connections north of there to NCN Route 64 between Lincoln, 
Newark, Grantham, Melton Mowbray and Market Harborough etc. 
For walkers the bridge would also link to a major strategic route, the Trent Valley Way. OnTrent (Trent Rivers Trust) is working 
with partners throughout the Trent to bring about a Trent Valley Way stretching some 170 miles (272km) from its source near 
Stoke to the Humber - http://www.ontrent.org.uk/site/projects/trent-valley-way 
This is already established for 84 miles (134 km) through Nottinghamshire, and, when complete, it will be a long distance 
footpath and, where possible, multi-user way throughout the Trent Valley. The TVW will celebrate the Trent, its cities, towns 
and villages, wildlife and history, enhancing people’s well
-being, linking communities, attracting visitors and contributing to local 
The TVW will when completed link several cities and towns including Stoke, Stone, Rugeley, Burton-upon Trent, Long Eaton, 
Nottingham, Newark, Gainsborough and Scunthorpe and pass through Staffordshire, Derbyshire, Leicestershire, 
Nottinghamshire, Lincolnshire and North Lincolnshire. 
On the north bank, as well as connecting to the existing and proposed extensions of the riverside path between Trent Bridge 
and Colwick Park, the bridge would also connect, north of Daleside Road, to the Sneinton Greenway between Manvers Street 
and Colwick Park, an important and recently improved route for walkers and cyclists with links west to the canal path (Big 
Track), and Nottingham Station and City Centre, and east towards Netherfield and Colwick Woods, etc. Cycling to and from 
Nottingham Station is likely to grow significantly not just because of the major work on redeveloping the Station as part of The 
Hub project, now largely complete, but also because of the plans by East Midlands Trains and the City Council for a new Cycle 
Hub, due for implementation later in 2014. 
Looking more widely at the case for the project, HMcC said that we should pay particular attention to the results of the 
interdisciplinary I-Connect research project (http://www.iconnect.ac.uk/) which showed clear evidence of a much more 
pronounced increase in active travel by people living close to one of the Sustrans Connect 2 projects than for the general 
population. This project, completed in 2013, was promoted jointly by Sustrans and the EPSRC (Engineering and Physical 
Sciences Research Council), with a wide variety of academic researchers, and particularly focusing on health and 
environmental benefits. 
Contributions by John Rhodes and Nick Ebbs on their involvement with the proposed bridge 
John Rhodes then explained his longstanding interest in getting a foot and cycle bridge built and the clear evidence he already 
had of substantial public support in the Ladybay area, which, he said, would give local people in West Bridgford much improved 
off-road access on foot and by bike to areas like Sneinton, Colwick Woods and Colwick Park, and also make it similarly much 
easier for people in areas like Sneinton and Carlton etc. to access facilities in Ladybay, including The Hook,, and West 
Bridgford more generally as well as the National Water Sports Centre etc. His Riverside Crescent development on the north 
bank of the Trent, a little east of Trent Lane and the Yacht Club, completed in 2008, had included a good section of new 
riverside path, connecting to the Colwick Park access road, Racecourse Road and he was also very keen to see this extended. 
The principle of such a bridge as an integral part of the Waterside Regeneration Scheme had been long accepted, e.g. in the 
City Local Plan and in the earlier EDAW Master Plan, even if it was now likely that the details of implementation would differ to 
some extent. 
Nick Ebbs began by explaining the particular social, environmental and public realm enhancement aims of schemes that Igloo-
Blueprint were involved in, in addition to financial aims. He then gave a background to the major Waterside development 
scheme, on which they had been working since 2012, mainly comprising housing rather than flats, including careful attention to 
public realm enhancements. This was being planned by Blueprint Regeneration and the Homes and Communities Agency for 
the Trent Basin area. The first phase (160 dwellings) had now got planning permission and work should start by the end of the 
year.  With later phases it was likely that a total of about 3000 new houses would be built. 
The housing would have the feel of Dutch canalside housing, and be planned to give priority to movements on foot and by bike, 
and include a further extension of the riverside path. Negotiations were still continuing about further expansions of the project 
but it was very likely to result in a major transformation of the area, with a strong sustainability theme. The proposed bridge 
would be very consistent with this and also help to attract people to live in the area and enjoy fully its waterside situation. It 
would also fit in with another important aim of the development; to be well-integrated with its surroundings, along the river and 
to the north, the south, as well as the east and west / city centre, directions. It would therefore add much value and many 
NE and JR talked about the work they had already done on proposals for a bridge, including possible designs and siting and 
stressed that it was important to start with high aspirations even if it might later prove necessary to scale these down. The 
proposed basic sketch design took account of the need to maintain a basic height above the water of at least 7.31m, as at 
Ladybay Bridge, to help address the concerns of the Sailing Club even though it seemed now that boats mostly did not come 
up as far up the river as this, i.e. not west of the Riverside Crescent development a little east of the proposed site at the south 
end of Trent Lane. The sketch design included a central span of 75-80m and a total length, including access ramps of a 120m.  
He also mentioned that there was a sum of £30,000 for eventual landscape improvements on Trent Lane, which the City 
Council still held from the developer contributions for the Riverside Crescent development, and he thought that this could now 
be used to help towards bridge costs. 
JR said that he had also been in touch with a firm manufacturing such bridges, Mabey Bridges, who had sent details of a 
pedestrian-cycle bridge they had recently completed across the M20 at Ashford, a town with major expansion plans. This has a 
span of 95 metres, somewhat comparable to the proposed local bridge. On this basis it seemed likely that total costs for the 
proposed Trent Basin bridge, including design, foundations and accesses would be rather more than £2.4 million. 
JR said that, collectively, developer contributions can provide a very sizeable proportion of the funding needed. On the north 
side of the bridge site these included not only the major HCA scheme which NE had mentioned but others in the pipeline, e.g. 
the current Yacht Club site east of Trent Lane, etc. for which land was now being assembled.  
He said that it was also very important that the City Planners should be clear about the exact area that will be needed for the 
landtake for the bridge and ramps, and the proposal that the north side landing should be in some kind of plaza area, for which 
extra land would be required. 
Documents you may be interested
Documents you may be interested