The current proposed sketch design took full account in the design of the access ramps of the needs of wheelchair users and
finding adequate space for these was less constrained on the south than north side because of the presence of the brick drain
near the bottom of Trent Lane, although there would also be a bit less of a height difference on this side. On the south bank
they had suggested a ramp spiralling down to the riverside path emerging rather west of the bridge but there was a feeling from
several of those at this meeting that it would be more appropriate for this ramp to come down a bit to the east, i.e. on part of
The Hook, where there were fewer space constraints, although care would ned to be taken with regard to trees and nature
conservation interest, in close consultation with the Friends of The Hook as RM emphasised.
Discussion on these contributions
In general discussion it was felt very important to emphasise the many wider benefits of the bridge, not just to the local
communities on both banks, making it easier for people living both south and north of the Trent to visit facilities and other
attractions on the other side more easily, safely and sustainably, and directly encouraging trips to work by bike and on foot, with
consequent major health benefits.
This meant that we should stress the importance of the proposed bridge not just in relation to the planned major housing
developments on the Waterside area and east of West Bridgford, but also to help addressing the need to reduce dependence
on private motorised transport for leisure trips, to Colwick Park and most of all to the National Water Sports Centre at Holme
Pierrepont, especially now that its new owners were expanding the range of non water-based attractions, and the extra traffic
that this was likely to generate, especially for major events.
HMcC commented that, at both the Suspension Bridge and Wilford Toll bridge the south bank riverside path (part of Sustrans
NCN15) route already connected to the very popular 9-mile (15km) Big Track route on the north bank connecting Trent Bridge
with Beeston Lock, mostly via traffic-free riverside and canalside paths, developed over the last 10 years, and in turn
connecting to the Erewash Valley Trail west of Nottingham on the Nottinghamshire
Derbyshire border between Trent Lock /
Attenborough and Langley Mill, etc.
The EVT was opened in 2009 as a result of a partnership of several organisations in both counties, including the two County
Councils, Borough Councils and Wildlife Trusts, former British Waterways (now Canal and Rivers Trust, NHS, former East
Midlands Development Agency, Environment Agency, Trent River Park and 6Cs Green Infrastructure. Following the success of
the EVT, Broxtowe Borough Council (Steve Fisher, Project Officer) and Keith Morgan of the City Council were developing
proposals for the Broxtowe Country Trail, i.e. further route improvements in Broxtowe Borough and the west side of
There would also be links to the improved paths alongside the River Leen, with their connections to Sustrans NCN6 north of
Nottingham. Discussions had recently taken place about possible further improvements along this corridor, to extend the value
of the new ’boardwalk’ route between Basford and Bulwell, designed in cooperation with Sustrans, to be completed soon.
Some of these possible improvements, along with others on the west side of Greater Nottingham, e.g. in the Beeston,
Attenborough and Toton areas which Pedals was keen to see, including to some sections of NCN Route 6, could well extend in
turn to the proposed HS2 cycleway, to run within 3 miles (5km) of Phase 2 of the proposed HS2 railway from Birmingham to
Leeds. HMcC said that Pedals had taken a close interest in this project, since the first announcement in September 2013 and
earlier this year made a detailed response to the DfT public consultation, and took part in the regional information gathering
meeting for Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire, hosted by Broxtowe Borough Council, in Beeston in March. He understood that
possible routes for this were now being investigated by consultants working for the DfT undertaking a feasibility study due for
completion by the end of this year.
Close to the north bank of the Trent near the proposed bridge site the riverside path had been gradually extended east of Trent
Bridge, e.g. including the link under Trent Bridge to Meadow Lane Lock and canal bridge in 2009 as part of The Big Track
upgrade and the path past Riverside Crescent, completed in 2008, connecting to Colwick Park to the east. To the west there
was now a good safe connection under Trent Bridge through to the Victoria Embankment, a major centre for mass events,
especially in the summer, and from there right through under Clifton Bridge towards Beeston Lock and Attenborough, as well as
both the Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire sections of the EVT.
Other sections of north bank riverside path were in the pipeline including a new foot and cycle bridge due to be installed in
September-October 2014 by the stepping stones at the east end of Colwick Park (on the City/Gedling Borough boundary), as a
result of a joint initiative by the Nottingham and County Local Access Forums with City Council support, and the new section
soon to be built as part of the first phase of the new Trent Basin major housing scheme.
There was also potential for further extensions of the riverside path in the Gedling Borough area east of Colwick Park and the
existing 1km stretch past the Candle Meadow Estate, opposite the Water Sports Centre. HMcC mentioned that the City Council
had been committed to the principle of establishing a continuous riverside path on the north bank of the Trent since their Local
Plan of as long ago as 1987 so the prospect now of some further schemes to help towards completing this was very welcome!
Possible north bank riverside path extensions further east, in Gedling Borough, to connect past Netherfield towards Stoke
Bardolph (and even Newark etc), had been discussed at a meeting of several organisations hosted by Gedling BC in April 2009
to discuss the particular potential for including continuous and upgraded paths as part of the plans by the Environment Agency
for their Nottingham Left Bank Flood Alleviation Scheme (implemented between 2001-13).
However financial cutbacks to the EA’s budget, and
some other detailed land acquisition issues had meant that so far only
limited sections of the path in this area had been built and opened to the public, requiring all path users east of the Crosslands
Meadow Estate, to diver to the nearby Industrial Estate spine road, a much less attractive route. Both Pedals and the
Nottinghamshire section of the Ramblers Association were still very keen to see a new emphasis on providing a good
continuous riverside path in this area, when resources permitted. Further such extensions would add even to the value of the
proposed bridge, as well as the smaller bridge soon to be installed at the east end of Colwick Park.
Keith Morgan, Nottingham City Council:
KM from the City Council said that plans for improved links between the area north of the Trent and the City Centre, via
Manvers Street, etc. were being actively pursued, and including further possible improvements to the Sneinton Greenway,
following the recent provision of new bridges by Network Rail for cyclists and pedestrians, as part of the Trent Lane and
Meadow Lane level crossings replacement scheme completed earlier this year. He was sure that the City Council would be
generally supportive of the bridge, as indicated in their Local Plan, even though the main emphasis in spending their new
Cycling Ambition Grant funding from the DfT would on new on-road facilities more widely.
Cllr. Steve Calvert, Nottinghamshire County Council
For the County Council Cllr. Steve Calvert was also very supportive. While making clear that it was very unlikely that they could
in current financial circumstances make any contribution to the capital costs of the scheme, he agreed that they could in their
discussions with Rushcliffe BC about the transport aspects of new housing plans in their area emphasise the importance of
developer contributions from the major new housing proposals, especially around Tollerton and Gamston.
SC also stressed the need for the scheme to be seen to fit with existing Transport Strategy and that we needed to establish a
robust case for the scheme, highlighting the social/health, economic, environmental and specific transport/accessibility benefits.
This would be an important element of any future funding bid, he said.
Discussions on these contributions
HMcC commented that it would be important as part of the bridge development scheme, to upgrade the main access routes
between the new housing areas east and south of West Bridgford and the proposed bridge (as well as NCN15 and other
connecting riverside paths) including, for example, the current route from the A52 Toucan crossing east of Gamston via
Regatta Way where the existing arrangements for cyclists at the junction of Radcliffe Road and Regatta Way were rather slow
and tortuous, and where the link between Adbolton Lane cycle path and the river just west of the Water Sports Centre and
Sailing Club also was substandard.
JR passed on the suggestion from Tom Huggon (TH) that we should approach the City Council for a contribution from their
historic bridges fund, originally established for the construction and repair of bridges across the Trent but more recently used to
subside general expenditure. . It was agreed that this was worth pursuing but would need careful handling in the current
financial situation. TH had suggested sounding out Cllr. John Hartshorne about this and it was agreed that JR and HMcC
should now encourage him to do this, perhaps in a small group, with a view to discussing a possible nominal contribution, at
Sustrans: Gwyneth McMinn, Network Development Manager (East Midlands)
For Sustrans GM said that it might well be possible for them to help seek funding, e.g. as part of the further round of Connect 2
projects for which they were now lobbying the DfT. It so happened that she would be attending a meeting on the following day
in London where she could raise this as a project very likely to be worth supporting over the next 3-4 years, once the proposals
had been taken further and worked up in more detail and once the extent of likely local support was clearer.
She and her colleagues in the Sustrans East Midlands Office were working up a list of schemes in the region for possible DfT
support, for possible funding in 2015/16 and 206/17 and this list only included schemes for which at least a feasibility study had
been done. She thought from what she had now heard about this scheme that it should fit perfectly the principles they were
working to, provided it could rely on local authority support and other funding sources.
Discussion on proposed next steps, particular with regard to funding and public support
SC commented that, if there was indeed to be a second round of Connect 2 schemes, which, we all agreed, was a very exciting
opportunity, we would need to liaise very closely with GM and her Sustrans colleagues as to how we word the prospectus,
The interest and potential support from Sustrans was warmly welcomed and, as NE remarked, was a game changer for the
In addition to sounding out a range of possible sources of funding support, including using new sources such as crowdfunding,
it was also agreed that it was very important that we should now be starting to build up wide public support, including confirming
support from various people and groups who had already show at least some interest. JR commented that he was already sure
of definite support from some City Councillors and the clear support in principle at this meeting from Cllr. Steve Calvert for the
County Council was also very encouraging.
HMcC said that in encouraging wider public support, there was a need to strike a careful balance between on the one hand
making clear that the proposed bridge will be not just a footbridge but a combined foot and cycle bridge, and on the other
making sure that people don’t c
ome to think of it as just a cycle bridge, with the likely implication among a good many people
that they think of it as being something for that noisy and irresponsible minority, cyclists. Rather we should strongly promote it
as a great asset for the whole community, and a great boost to the promotion of active and sustainable utility and leisure travel
in Greater Nottingham, as well as a landmark and an iconic structure for the whole area, as with the ‘Scissors Bridge’ across
the Tyne between Newcastle upon Tyne and Gateshead, built in the late 1990s.
To assist the process of developing wider support we should take advantage of forthcoming meetings of these groups and
other relevant groups and organisations, including:-
23 September: West Bridgford Local Traffic and Transport Group (WBLTTG) (subgroup, chaired by Cllr. John
Bannister, of the WB Local Area Forum, chaired by Cllr. Richard Mallender who also is a regular attender at the
LTTG of which Lorraine Pulford is the Secretary.
HMcC regularly attends for Pedals and Cllr. Steve Calvert often attends on behalf of the County Council
30 September meeting of the Greater Nottingham Cycling Development Group (CDG) (chaired by Gary Smerdon-
White of Ridewise / Big Wheel).
HMcC is one of the regular Pedals representatives, together with Peter Briggs, while KM is one of the City Council
officers who attends regularly and GM or Matt Easter (Regional Director) for Sustrans. Paul Hillier represents Notts
CC, and Helen Ross attends to represent the City Council’s new
(since April 2013) public health promotion
responsibilities. Adrian Juffs represents Ridewise.
1 October Nottingham Local Access Forum (NLAF)
(chair since January 2014: Hugh McClintock).
Diane Moore, the previous Chair, and a Community Landscape Architect, has already expressed strong interest in
the scheme and NLAF now takes a strong interest in potential rights of way enhancements with new development
and redevelopment projects, assisted by John Lee, Rights of Way Officer. One direct result of this was the new
pedestrian and cycle bridge soon to be installed at the east end of Colwick Park, close to the stepping stones, on the
City / Gedling boundary.
Pedals had included a strong statement in support of the bridge in response to the recent public consultation on the
City Council’s Rights of Way Development Plan, a key document for NLAF, and due to be finalised this autumn.
NLAF also has a very active subgroup developing a series of detailed maps / leaflets for self-guided walks in different
areas of Nottingham. The second of these, for Sneinton and Colwick Woods, was launched in August 2014,
coordinated by Margaret Knowles, Ruth Thurgood and Chris Thompson.
Nottinghamshire County Local Access Forum (chair: Mary Mills).
Chris Thompson represents the Ramblers Association and both Pedals and CTC Notts have been recently invited to
send representatives. Peter Briggs has offered to represent Pedals. There is a recent move towards increased co-
working of the two LAFs, with more regular attendance at each meeting by people from the other group, and this
would help promote close cooperation over this bridge project.
Nottingham Civic Society (chair: Hilary Silvester, and via Tom Huggon and John Rhodes). HMcC is also as member.
Groups representing wheelchair users (via Lorraine Pulford, Secretary of the WBLTTG)
CTC: Nottinghamshire District Association (Secretary: Terry Scott, who is also active in Pedals)
Sustrans Local Area Rangers (via Peter Osborne, Andrew Martin and Brian Goss, all of whom are also active in
Sustrans Supporters in Nottinghamshire (? Via Matt Easter / Gwyneth McMinn)
Ridewise / The Big Wheel, who promote sustainable travel generally in Greater Nottingham and who also now
promote the ‘Explore Nottinghamshire’ series of Guided Cycle Rides, which has developed from the earlier Guided
Rides programme, first run by Pedals and then for many years by Nottinghamshire County Council, until 2010.
Ridewise also promote ‘Cycling for All’ events on the third Sunday of each month between April and October, on the
Queen’s Drive Park and Ride and Ecohub site, next to the north bank ri
verside path and Big Track route.
Ramblers Association (Notts): Chris Thompson, who also regularly attends NLAF and County LAF meetings.
Ladybay Community Association, via Cllr. Richard Mallender and Nick Ebbs.
Friends of The Hook, via Cllr. Richard Mallender
West Bridgford Cycling Club
Poppy and Pint Velo Club, Ladybay.
West Bridgford U3A (University of the Third Age) Cycling Group (Pete Elderton, Coordinator)
West Bridgford U3A (University of the Third Age) Walking Groups (shorter and longer walks, as well as a separate
Sunday walks group)
Other informal walking and cycling groups, some now run via Facebook.
Local running clubs, e.g. the Holme Pierrepont Running Club - http://www.hprcrun.co.uk/
National Water Sports Centre, Holme Pierrepont, and Holme Pierrepont Country Park
Sneinton Neighbourhood Forum
NHS and other health organisations, via Helen Ross, Nottingham City Council
Chris Simon, Director of Perfect Motion, Beeston, who, with Nottingham City Council have since 2012 been the main
organisers of the Great Nottinghamshire Bike Ride (started by Pedals in 1982 and run from 1985 to 2011 by
Nottinghamshire County Council). Since 2013 this has been expanded into a weekend long Festival of Cycling in
June of each year, Cycle Live and the 2014 event contained an even wider range of activities and rides, starting from
the Victoria Embankment, and making good use of several cycle routes in the area, including the riverside paths
connecting to the site of the bridge now proposed. There is now a strong family focus to this event, which will be of
great benefit in promoting cycling among the next generation.
Other individuals who have already shown strong interest, e.g. Tom Hughes (Architect), Sneinton and Nottingham
Trent University. We should also seek out individual people in the above list of organisations who were likely to be
In conclusion HMcC thanked everyone for attending and for their very useful and positive contributions. It was agreed that the
meeting had been a very useful opportunity for a general exchange of views on the strategic case for the bridge, its possible
design, existing and potential links and both sides of the Trent, for leisure and commuter purposes, the likely total funding
required and possible sources, and ways in which we could go about attracting wider support. Close cooperation and
coordinated action by the local authorities both north and south of the Trent, and many other local groups, as well as Sustrans
etc. would be essential.
It was also important to follow up this meeting with another one soon, perhaps including a rather larger number of people who
were strongly interested in the project. John Rhodes offered to host this meeting at Riverside Crescent, which would both
provide more space for a larger meeting and also give people a chance to see the site at first hand, including the existing
riverside path links. This offer was generally welcomed.
KM and GM were due to meet very soon to discuss various issues of mutual interest to the City Council and Sustrans and it
was agreed to wait until after that meeting before going about fixing a date for our next meeting.
NE suggested that we might in time need an executive body and then separately a wider stakeholder group, and this could be
one item to discuss next time in addition to a general update on the other issues discussed.
Meanwhile, HMcC said, in answer to a question from NE, that he was happy to continue to hold the ring and take responsibility
for liaising with everyone about possible dates for the next meeting and the agenda. The meeting will take place in the
Riverside Crescent River Suite (Stair Core 4, the central of 7 stair towers). The address is: River Crescent, Waterside Way (off
Racecourse Road by car or Trent Lane by bike), Nottingham NG2 4RE. JR says that there is adequate visitor car parking and
4. Finance and Membership (David Easley and Hilary Backhouse to report)
- Including updates on membership renewals and new memberships
5. Forthcoming events / meetings
Pedals meetings including invitations to visiting speakers, review of the agenda layout,
chairing future meetings and the need to contact The Vat and Fiddle for preparing (e.g.
heating) the room.
Chairing arrangements.for October and November meetings.
Preparing for November discussion with Paddy Tipping, PCC for Notts.
future speaker ideas, e.g. update on Citycard bikes including
analysis of usage patterns
expansion plans outside Nottingham
and proposed e-bike hire scheme
birthday celebration events: update re suggestions and approx. timing and
EMCF meeting in Nottingham, Sat 18 October,
Trent |Bridge Inn
update re first announcement sent out on 26 June
and speakers, etc.: details to be discussed catering, charges, bike parking, speakers and equipment needs, afternoon
ride, advance registration, draft programme, other volunteer needs including meeters and greeters etc.
…message of 23 Aug from Susan Young:
I should be at the next meeting. We could ask attendees to let us know which train they are planning on arriving on and arrange
to meet them and cycle with them to the venue. It is a simple journey though. I think there is on street parking on the
embankment for those in cars. I will check this.
Notts County are playing Crawley Town at Meadow Lane so there should be no problem as I don't think either club are that well
supported and will be starting well before the match.
Regarding the ride after the indoor bit of the day, we will need to think carefully about the route as we will be setting off when
fans start making their way to the ground.
Thanks for following this up as I am still catching up from being away, especially as I came back to a new job resulting from the
latest reorganisation at work.
Suggest we also ask if it would help at lunch if we pre ordered and paid for our food before the meeting and for it to be served
at a set time.
…and my response to Susan:
Thanks for these suggestions. It had already occurred to me that we should arrange to have meeters and greeters at the
Good idea to preorder food.
We should discuss all these details at our next meeting.
Good luck with your new job. How is it going?
Developing a draft programme etc. for the Pedals-hosted EMCF meeting on Sat 18 Oct - comments please on this and
likely volunteer needs: my message of 7 Sept to Pedals Committee members
We need at the next Pedals meeting on Monday week (15
September) to make a definite decision on the arrangements for
the next East Midlands Cyclists’ Forum meeting which we are hosting on Saturday 18
October at the Trent Bridge Inn as part
of our 35
birthday celebrations and it would therefore be useful to get some initial thought from Committee members about this
before we put it to the meeting and then step up publicity for the event and encourage people to let us know definitely if they
are coming. I would therefore be glad please of your comments on:-
a) The draft programme, including speakers and discussion slots
b) Catering arrangements
c) Whether or not we are making a charge, for lunch and refreshments and if so whether we ask for that on the day or in
advance and what it would be.
d) The afternoon ride to give people some idea of our current campaigning activities, with particular reference to our
work in connection with the new tram routes.
e) Volunteer needs including how we go about getting enough people for all of these.
These are my current thoughts on each of these points, though taking account of some suggestions already made:-
The draft programme, including speakers and discussion slots
We have already agreed the times as 10am to 2pm, though with coffee served from 9.45
So far we have only one speaker definitely coming: Gwyneth McMinn, Sustrans Network Development Manager for the East
Midlands. My various efforts to get someone to talk about the ambitious Peak Park cycling plans, either from Derbs County
Council or Peak Cycle Links seem to have come to nothing apart from a promise to send us some up to date briefing sheets.
However, even if we have noone specifically coming to talk about that we could ask Gwyneth to make some reference to it,
since I know that Sustrans are involved in these plans.
We had agreed with Gwyneth to do a presentation of about 15 minutes and we could perhaps now ask her if she wishes to
extend that a bit, to 20-125 minutes, while still then leaving us a good half an hour or so for questions and discussion, i.e. taking
us from 10.00 to about 10.55 and then a short 5 minute comfort break. Already lots of Sustrans rangers have told me they want
to come so I am sure that we can easily fill half an hour or so with questions, discussions and points arising!
After the short break, we can then go on to a local campaigning updates session, starting with Pedals as ‘the home team”! I a
prepared to do a short Powerpoint presentation on that, for about 10-15 minutes, then questions, to set the ball rolling and
stimulate discussion. However, we really need to have some idea in advance who else would like to speak, and whether they
want 5 or 10 minute slots, and any equipment, so that we plan the best use of this time including lots of questions and
discussions and exchange of ideas and experience. Depending on just how much interest we get from these early soundings I
suggest that this session continues until somewhere between 12 and 12.30 when we break for lunch.
This would then mean an hour or so for lunch and continuing informal discussions before those who can stay on for the ride get
ready to do that, aiming to leave by 2pm, and for a ride lasting up to 2 hours, though in the expectation that some people
coming on it might want to peel off earlier to go to the station to catch their trains.
Usually at these events roughly half of those who come want to go on the ride but not all stay for all of it. Quite a few however
do, and several of these may also then want to go for a drink before we finally disperse, between 5-6pm.
Experience suggests that it is very messy and time consuming to sort this out on the day, with people only then giving their
individual choices, so Susan suggests that we pre-book and I agree. However, that means
a) deciding in advance on some basic options for us to preorder and
b) giving a deadline for people to let us know they are coming so that we have some idea of numbers, even if we do in practice
still allow for some more people who just turn up on the day.
Whether or not we are making a charge, for lunch and refreshments and if so whether we ask for that on the day or in
advance and what it would be.
Earlier in the year there was a suggestion that Pedals should bear all the costs of the event, including refreshments and lunch,
as it is our birthday party! Is that what we definitely think or do we still want to suggest some charge / contribution, even if only
The afternoon ride to give people some idea of our current campaigning activities, with particular reference to our work in
connection with the new tram routes.
We will need to plan the route carefully not just with regard to group safety, what we can realistically show people in the time
available (allowing for stops, brief explanations and catch-ups) but also the fact traffic in the area might be heavy that day with
Notts County playing at home. I am prepared to draft a suggested route and lead it but could do with at least 1-2 others to help
guide it and bring up the rear etc, including giving people who peel off early advice on how best to get to the station, etc.
Volunteer needs including how we go about getting enough people for all of these.
Volunteer needs include:-
Meeting and greeting people at the station from about 10-10.45 or 11.
Setting up the room; tables and chairs, areas for displays / leaflets / maps and folding bikes
Liaising with the pub about catering (Susan has already started to do this)
Helping those arriving with bikes to park their bikes securely (folding bikes in the room if possible)
Helping serve tea / coffee and arrival
Someone to be i/c IT needs, including laptop and connecting it via an HDMI lead to the plasma TV and watching out
that nothing gets damaged / misused / nicked ( I have already emailed Steve Holland about this but had no reply yet
Helping to shepherd people out of the room by 2pm whether or not they are coming on the ride.
Helping me with the ride (as mentioned above)
We also need at the meeting, as well as discussing any other volunteer needs, and numbers for each, to find out who is
definitely intending to come and, in so far as we do not have enough volunteers from those present and intending to come to fill
all the slots, to agree on how to get more people involved. I suggest that it might anyway be a chance to contact the wider
membership and get some of them to come along, who do not usually to come to meetings. This has been the general
experience at other meetings so might also help us to get some fresh blood!
Comments very welcome please!
nts of 7 Sept from Susan Young:
Regarding catering, the TBI is used to being very busy and coping with groups of people. My experience of Weatherspoon’s is
that they are generally pretty efficient and the TBI is generally well run as it is such an iconic pub.
We can ask those arriving early to look at the menu and make their choice. We can keep a tally and if I bring some change
along, take payment. One of us can then take the order to the bar and pay at a time good for the TBI so we have food ready for
the lunch break. People can then buy their own drinks as some may want a beer.
Pedals contribution could be to pay for the venue and a tea/coffee for everyone at the beginning.
Do we want a cake?
Regarding the ride, we could set off along the south of the river to Wilford so should not have problems with the football crowd.
County do not have such a large following so there is unlikely to be hoards of supporters.
We can then go out to Clifton, Beeston or both with a break to enjoy the canal before returning from Beeston. We can finish by
having a drink at the VAT for those who wish to.
We never have enough time for questions and to socialise so a small agenda will facilitate this. Give us more time to find out
issues each group are facing.
Laptop, cables etc we can see who can supply these and help with the tech side on the day.
Draft programme of 8 Sept
East Midlands Cyclists Forum meeting in Nottingham, Saturday 18 October 2014,
upstairs room, Trent Bridge Inn, 2 Radcliffe Rd, West Bridgford, Nottingham NG2 6AA
NB all times are approx.
to be finalised following discussions at the Pedals meeting on 15 October and in the light of
subsequent interest in contributing to the local campaigning updates slots.
From 9.00: set up room including moving chairs and tables as necessary, making room for storage of folding bikes, putting up
notices, and laying out labels / leaflets with space for people to bring more.
9.00-9.30: 2-3 meeters and greeters at Nottingham Station to meet people with bikes off trains and guide them to the venue, in
groups if necessary
9.45 Tea and Coffee available
early arrivals to be encouraged to pre-book lunch choices
10.00-10.05: Welcome from Andrew Martin, Chair, Pedals and outline of the programme
10.05-10.20: Gwyneth McMinn, Network Development Manager, Sustrans East Midlands, followed by discussion on the
10.50-11.00 Comfort break and chance to pre-book lunch choices and get drinks etc.
11.00-12.30 (or 1pm, depending on interest):
Local campaigning updates and discussion, starting with 10-15 minutes from Hugh on some current campaigning issues
with particular reference to our involvement with the tram extension plans
Other contributions (5-10 minutes), depending on demand / interest, soon to be sounded out from other groups, and including
local CTC Right to Ride and Sustrans Rangers.
Conclude morning session with
a) briefing from HMcC about the afternoon ride route and other arrangements (5 minutes)
b) cutting of the Pedals 35
1.30pm: Start to move out from the room and get bikes for those coming on the ride
2pm. Depart on bike ride, via riverside path near County Hall and heading towards Wilford, etc: exact route to be worked out
nearer the time by Hugh but focusing on the tram route between the City Centre and Ruddington Lane, and including plenty of
time for stops, catching up, explanations and discussions and photos, etc.
The route may also include Dunkirk but probably not Beeston, in view of the need to be flexible with timing, allowing for stops
and the extra problems of taking a group through an area with lots of roadworks.
We might however review this if there is only small group staying on for the ride. It also depends on the weather and how many
people want to peel off early to head back to the station, and at what stage of the ride.
4pm Ride to finish at Nottingham Station but with encouragement for those who can stay on for a drink at the Vat and
Fiddle, Queen’s Bridge Road
e for meal: “Antalya”; November or ?
Mon 1 December
We need to book this and then publicise it to our members
Other meetings / events:
Tues 14 Oct (7-9pm):
Canal & River Trust’s East Midlands Waterway Partnership
Annual Public Meeting, Nottm Castle:
message of 11 Sept from Katherine Potter:
Police and Crime Commissioner Community Stakeholder Board Meetings: Change of Date for the County Meeting
September to 25
Please note that the County Stakeholder Meeting scheduled for Monday 15
September at 6.30pm in the Lindhurst Rooms at
Mansfield Civic Centre has now been merged with the City Stakeholder meeting scheduled to take place on the 25
at 6.30pm as below.
The Commissioner and Nottinghamshire Police face one its toughest years financially with £12.7m of savings required, which is
on top of the £42m already secured. This has led to Nottinghamshire Police having to develop a revised operating model for
how policing in Nottingham and Nottinghamshire will be delivered in the coming years.
The Commissioner has agreed that the proposed operating model is the right way forward for Nottinghamshire Police and
would like to invite you to the above stakeholder meeting to present and discuss this with you, together with current and future
budget pressures facing both the Commissioner and Chief Constable.
The meeting is taking place at 630pm on Thursday 25
September 2014 in the Forman Suite at the Indian Community
Centre Association, 99 Hucknall Road, Carrington, Nottingham NG5 1QZ. Light refreshments will be available from 6pm
and there is free car parking available.
Should you wish to attend could you please reply to NOPCC@Nottinghamshire.pnn.police.uk or telephone 0115 8445998 by
1630 hrs on Friday 19
September 2014 and please indicate if you have any specific requirements. May I also advise you
that unfortunately attendance is limited to invited Stakeholder Board members only.
If you would like any further information please do not hesitate to contact Nottinghamshire Office of the Police and Crime
Commissioner as mentioned above.
I look forward to receiving your reply.
PA to Chief Executive &
Chief Finance Officer
Nottinghamshire Office of the Police and Crime Commissioner
Arnot Hill House, Arnot Hill Park, Arnold, Nottingham, NG5 6LU
( 0115 8445998
Non-emergency dial 101
Suggested agenda items for 30 Sept Greater Nottm Cycling Development Group meeting
I gather that 3 people from East Midlands Trains are expected for the discussion on the much delayed Nottm Station Cycle
The most beautiful cycle park in the world - Malmo Station possible inspiration for Nottm Station and request for other ideas
please! My message of 1 Sept to To Pedals activists etc.
> We are at last soon due to have a chance to meet with representatives
> of East Midlands Trains to discuss their proposals for the expanded
> Cycle Hub at Nottingham Station. This will be at the next Cycling
> Development Group meeting on 30th September.
> Meanwhile, Keith Morgan from the City Council, who with Steve Dickens
> is working with EMT on these plans, has asked to be reminded of the
> various suggestions for things that local cyclists would like to see
> included in the new Cycle Hub. Ideas from Pedals have included some
> basic tools, and a public bike pump such as this one which I saw in
> July in the very extensive cycle parking area outside Copenhagen Station.
> Other comments would still be very welcome please, preferably in time
> for me to pass on to Keith and Steve well before the meeting on 30th.
> The example featured in the link below, from Malmo Station in Sweden,
> passed on by Roland Backhouse, may also perhaps help inspiration!
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Roland Backhouse
> Sent: 01 September 2014 08:08
> To: Hugh McClintock
> Cc: Keith Morgan
> Subject: The most beautiful cycle park in the world
> Malmo, Sweden. 1500 places of which 700 supervised.
…further comments from Roland, 1 Sept:
Top of my list would be a cycle-repair/service shop. This is essential for commuters arriving in Nottingham from elsewhere who
park a bike permanently at the station and use it to cycle from the station to their place of work (a common practice elsewhere
in the EU). It would be very useful and convenient for others too: just as the vast majority of us do not service our own cars, the
vast majority of the general public do not wish to service their own bike. This includes fixing punctures and maintaining brakes.
Cycleheaven has a branch at York station. I would suggest that East Midlands Trains seeks their advice. They are open 7 days
a week and seem to have a very successful business.
Other possible items for the 30 Sept CDG agenda include:-
Ring Road Major: Hucknall Road roundabout changes
A52 (Bramcote to Dunkirk islands) non-motorised user study by the Highways Agency and follow-up cycling
HS2 cycleway update
Proposed cycle-pedestrian bridge (Trent Lane to The Hook) update
River Leen ‘causeway’ scheme completion update and ‘”opening bash” plans
Propose City cycle direction signing review
Any more suggestions please?
First Annual Progress Meeting of the Derwent Valley Cycleway Group, Nailers (Football Club Premises) Belper,
10.30, Sat 11 Oct.
Andrew Martin has forwarded to me the letter below from the DVCG Secretary and asked me to mention this at the Pedals
meeting: I can forward the minutes of the last meeting to anyone interested.
Please find attached a copy of the minutes of our most recent working group meeting. Most importantly I would like to draw
your attention to the fact that a room has been booked for the
First Annual Progress Meeting of the Derwent Valley Cycleway Group, at Nailers (Football Club Premises) Belper at 10.30am
on Saturday the 11th October.
On behalf of our Chairman can I ask you all to make a special effort to attend to show your interest and support. An agenda for
the meeting will follow in due course. This will provide an opportunity for you to learn more of what we have been doing to
further this exciting project and provide you with an opportunity to ask questions.
Secretary Derwent Valley Cycleway Group
Tues 14 Oct (7-9pm):
Canal & River Trust’s East Midlands Waterway Partnership
Annual Public Meeting, Nottm Castle
We have been invited again this year to send someone to this meeting, the follow-up to the one I attended last year at the
Nottm Sailing Club at Holme Pierrepont. This year I have a clash but do anyway recall that Arthur Williams offered to go along
Next Cyclenation/CTC Conference, London, Sat 22 Nov.
The next joint conference, hosted by London Cycle Campaign, will be on Sat 22nd November, at Lambeth Town Hall in
6. Cycle facility and traffic management matters including
request for feedback on the 2 new DfT-funded Junction Cycle Safety Schemes: Abbey Street by the Dunkirk
roundabout and Mansfield Road / Forest Road East
Now that both these schemes have been in for some months, some feedback on their pros and cons would be welcome
In the case of the Abbey St toucan crossing, however, I realise that its full potential benefits are unlikely to be realised until after
completion, due this November, of the new NUASTS Academy on the former Dunkirk Fire Station site alongside.
Mansfield Rd Junctions with Gregory Blvd & Huntingdon St.: message of 3 Sept from Brian Goss:
I’ve just been chatting with Matt Little about the dangers for cyclists of Mansfield Rd, in particular the junction with Greg
& Huntingdon St.
Just checking if we’re aware of any discussions about
improvements to this corridor?
…and my reply to Brian of 3 Sept:
Thanks for your comments.
I am not aware of any plans to reduce the dangers for cyclists at these junctions and I know that from previous discussions that
it has always been difficult to come up with viable solutions at those locations. The recent emphasis has been on improvements
at the Forest Road junction with Mansfield Road, to be followed by others at the South Sherwood Street / Shakespeare St. etc
I am copy
ing this to Keith Morgan who may also wish to comment, particularly in view of the City Council’s recent successful
bid for Cycle Ambition Grant funding, spending of which is to include improvements to city centre routes and links to and from
them. We have yet to see any details however.
Best wishes, Hugh
Documents you may be interested
Documents you may be interested