Chapter 3: Edit Your Survey | 46
Survey Protection provides some control over how people access the survey and how frequently they can access the survey.
• OPEN ACCESS: When this option is selected, the survey can be taken through the anonymous survey link.
The survey taker does not have to click the unique link from the Email Survey page to access the survey.
To limit the access, change the setting to By Invitation Only.
• BY INVITATION ONLY: This is only for use with the unique link you get from the Email Survey page. When this is
enabled, the participant must click the unique link to access the survey.
• PASSWORD PROTECTION: This enables you to set a single password for your survey.
If you need a unique password for each survey taker, use the Authenticator option in the Survey Flow
(see Survey Flow section in Chapter 5).
• PREVENT BALLOT-BOX STUFFING: This keeps people from taking the survey more than once. Qualtrics uses a
browser-based cookie to mark if someone took the survey. If they attempt to take the survey again, they will
be kept out.
• HTTP REFERER VERIFICATION: This enables you to specify a URL users have to come from in order to take
the survey. It is useful if your survey link is posted on a particular website (like an internal university or
company page) and you want to make sure the link does not get copied and sent to others. Only those who
can access the url you specify will be able to take the survey.
• PREVENT INDEXING: This option prevents Google, Yahoo, Bing and other search engines from being able to
index your survey and present it in search results. Typically, this is only an issue for long-term studies where
the survey is active for a long time.
• THIS SURVEY DOES NOT EXPIRE: If this option is selected, there is no set date range for when respondents
are able to access the survey. If the survey is active, the link can be accessed.
• THIS SURVEY IS VALID FROM: This enables you to specify a date range when respondents can access the survey.
Click the calendar icon or enter in the date directly (YYYY-MM-DD) to specify a date range. Those trying to
access the survey before or after the speciﬁed range receive a simple message explaining it is currently