University of Virginia Claude Moore Health Sciences Library
Scanning & Enhancing Images with Adobe Photoshop Elements 4.0
2. Click on the Magic Wand tool and click within the pink area of the shape. The pink area
should now be outlined with a moving dashed line.
3. Click on the Paint Bucket tool and click inside the pink shape. The solid pink color will fill
in the shape, removing the bleed
4. Repeat the process to replace the white around the shape with pure white and the green shape. You
can choose a color from the Color Picker pallet or use the Eye Dropper tool.
Project IV: Layers, Erasing, Adding Text
Use the Eraser tool to erase part of the image.
Identify the options of each tool used.
Correct the bleed through text as learned in Project III.
Use the Text tool to type new text on the image.
Layer a second image on top of the first.
For this set of exercises, open the image Reconstruction of Bone Shape grayscale image from the scan
A. Erase portions of an image:
Click on the Eraser tool. It has three modes:
1. Eraser tool 2. Background Eraser 3.Magic Eraser
The Eraser tool (1) lets you erase to the background color in a background layer. The Background
Eraser (2) and Magic Wand Eraser (3) are for working with different layered images. Information
about using these tools is available in the Help menu.
1. Click to select the Eraser tool (1) in the toolbox. The other options for the eraser are:
Brush styles: Leave the setting at Default Brushes.
Size: set the tool size by number of pixels, from 1 to 2500 pixels .
Mode: choices include brush, pen or block. Select Block, which changes the shape of the
eraser to square.
Opacity: values from 1% to 100%. Choose 100% (the complete erasing of an image area).
2. Using the Block Eraser, drag over the text to erase it. If your eraser color is not white, click on the
Switch Foreground and Background Colors double headed arrow.
B. Bleed-through text removal
Remove the bleed-through background as in Project III.
1. Use the Eyedropper tool to select the exact white color in the erased area.
2. Use the Magic Wand tool to select the white background with bleed-through text.
3. Use the Paint Bucket to whiten the entire background to the same shade of white.
1 2 3