WORD PROBLEMS – EXERCISES
1. One number is 6 less than 3 times another number and their sum is 62. Find the numbers.
2. In a basketball game, the number of points scored by the Miners was equal to 20 less than twice their
opponent’s score. The total number of points scored was 127. What was the total score?
3. What is the velocity of a car (in miles per hour) if it goes 40 miles in 35 minutes?
4. Carter sells cashews for $3.00 a pound, hazelnuts for $2.50 a pound, and peanuts for $1.75 a pound.
How many pounds of cashews and hazelnuts should be mixed with 50 lbs of peanuts to obtain a
mixture of 100 lbs that will sell for $2.30 a pound so that the profit or loss is unchanged?
5. One solution is 10% acid and another is 4% acid. How many cubic centimeters (cc) of each should be
mixed to obtain 150 cc of a solution that is 6% acid?
6. A company manufactures its product at a cost of 50 cents per item and sells it for 85 cents per item.
Daily overhead is $600. How many items must be manufactured each day in order for the company to
7. Jim is 3 times as old as his cousin and the difference in their ages is 18. How old is Jim?
8. Maria has scores of 96, 86, and 78 on three tests. What must her average score on the next two tests be
in order for her to have an average of at least 90?
9. What are the dimensions of a rectangle whose length is 4 more than twice the width and whose
perimeter is 3 less than 7 times the width?
10. A carpenter cuts a board into three pieces of equal length and then cuts off ¼ of one of the pieces. If
the smallest board he has is 1 foot in length, what was the length of the original board?
11. Janet and Susan together earned $109.50 in a week. Janet worked 7 hrs and Susan worked 9.5 hrs. If
each had worked three hours more, their combined pay would have been $150. What is the hourly rate
12. Last year Eduardo invested some money at 8% interest and his wife, Sofia, invested some money at
9% interest. Their total interest on the two investments was $860. This year they each decided to
invest the same amount of money as last year. Eduardo invested his at 7% and Sofia invested hers at
6%. If they receive a total of $640 interest, how much money did each invest?
13. Jennifer got a job as an engineer at a starting salary of $28,000. Miguel got a job as an accountant at a
starting salary of $24,000. Jennifer will receive an annual increase of $600 and Miguel’s annual
increase will be $1100. In how many years will their salaries be equal?
14. David can paint the living room in 4 hours and Anna can paint it in 6 hours. How long will it take the
two of them to paint the living room if they work together?