How to Make Your Word 2010 Documents 508 Compliant
July 2, 2014
Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS)
To create Link Text and a Screen Tip for each e-mail link:
The steps for creating link text and screen tips for e-mail links are almost identical to the
instructions for Web links (URLs) discussed in the previous section.
1) Type the full e-mail address.
For the following demonstration, we want the sentence to read, “To get more information
about this policy, contact Jane Doe.” And we want the name Jane Doe to serve as the
link text for the e-mail address.
2) To do this, first write: “To get more information about this policy,
3) Click on the e-mail address. This will anchor the e-mail address so it can be edited.
4) Select the “Insert” tab from the Word toolbar, then select “Hyperlink.” The “Edit
Hyperlink” dialog box will appear.
5) In the “Link to” column on the left-hand side of the Edit Hyperlink dialog box, make sure
that “E-mail Address” is selected.
6) In the “Text to display” field, type the name of the addressee (contact person) as the link
text for the e-mail address. For this demonstration, we will type the name “Jane Doe” as
the link text.
7) Click on the “Screen Tip” button in the upper right-hand corner of the Edit Hyperlink
dialog box. A “Set Hyperlink Screen Tip” box will appear.
8) Type a brief description in the Set Hyperlink Screen Tip box. In this example, we will
type “Link to Jane Doe’s e-mail address.”
9) Click on “OK.” Note: When you place your cursor over the link, a gray box containing
the Screen Tip will appear as shown in this example:
Figure 16. Sentence showing Link Text and Screen Tip for e-mail address
Use paragraph spacing instead of hard returns (“Enter” key) or tab spacing to add more space between
a paragraph and the paragraph before and after it.
To use paragraph spacing:
1) Select one or more paragraphs.
2) Select the “Page Layout” tab on the Word toolbar.
3) Go to “Spacing” in the Paragraph group. (Note: The default in Word for “Before” a
paragraph is 0 points, and the default for “After” a paragraph is 10 points.)
4) Set the “Before” and “After” paragraph spacing to your specifications.