Last updated 11/3/2015
4. Right-click the taskbar, and choose Task Manager from the pop-up menu.
Note: The simplest method to shutdown all remaining programs is to disable processes that are not required for the
system to run. Without a strong understanding of the Windows 20000 architecture you can typically reduce the number
of process down to 19. If the process is not in the required process list, disable the process following the steps below.
5. Click the Processes tab.
6. Select an process, click End Process, choose Yes.
Important: Do not disable the following required processes: wuauclt.exe, WinMgmt.exe, WINLOGON.EXE,
TASKMGR.EXE, System Idle Process, System, svchost.exe, spoolsv.exe, SMSS.EXE, SERVICES.EXE, regsvc.exe,
mstask.exe, LSASS.EXE, explorer.exe, CSRSS.EXE
Note: You will need to disable these processes every time you need to reboot the computer.
Then, try to re-create the problem:
-- If the problem doesn't recur, then move the icons and shortcuts back to the Startup folder one at a time and restart
the computer until you determine which item is causing the conflict. Then contact that item's developer for an update,
-- If the problem recurs, then startup items aren't the cause and you can reenable them.
-- To reenable the startup items when you are finished (Windows 2000): Move the icons and shortcuts back to their
respective Startup folders, and restart the computer.
4. Troubleshooting plug-ins conflicts in the Adobe Reader Plug-ins folder.
Determine whether the problem is being cause by plug-ins.
To troubleshoot plug-in conflicts:
1. Start Adobe Reader without any plug-ins running.
a. Double click on the Adobe Reader shortcut on the Desktop.
b. Immediately after double-clicking, press and hold the left Shift key on the keyboard.
-- If the Comments menu item is not present, then close Reader and repeat step 1.
-- If the Comments menu item is present, then proceed to step 2.
2. Attempt to reproduce the error.
-- If the problem goes away, then proceed to step 3.
-- If the problem persists, then proceed to step 5.
3. Close Adobe Reader.
4. Remove third-party plug-ins from the Reader plug-ins folder. The default location for the Reader Plug-ins folder is
Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 8.0\Reader\Plug_ins.
5. Start Adobe Reader and attempt to reproduce the error.
-- If the problem does not occur, then proceed to step 8.
-- If the problem recurs, then proceed to step 6. Leave the third party plug-ins out of the Adobe Reader plug-ins folder.
6. Move all remaining plug-ins into a new folder.
7. Restore one Adobe Reader plug-in at a time and attempt to reproduce the error.