AsciiDoc User Guide
70 / 88
32 Block Element Deﬁnitions
The syntax and behavior of Paragraph, DelimitedBlock, List and Table block elements is determined by block deﬁnitions con-
Eachdeﬁnitionconsists of asectiontitle followedbyone or moresectionentries. Eachentrydeﬁnesa blockparameter controlling
some aspect of the block’s behavior. Here’s an example:
Conﬁguration ﬁle block deﬁnition sections are processed incrementally after each conﬁguration ﬁle is loaded. Block deﬁnition
section entries are merged into the block deﬁnition, this allows block parameters to be overridden and extended by laterloading
AsciiDoc Paragraph, DelimitedBlock, List and Table block elements share a common subset of conﬁguration ﬁle parameters:
APython regular expression that matches the ﬁrst line of a block element—in the case of DelimitedBlocks and Tables it
also matches the last line.
The name of the conﬁguration ﬁle markup template section that will envelope the block contents. The pipe (|) character is
substituted for the block contents. List elements use a set of (list speciﬁc) tag parameters instead of a single template. The
template name can contain attribute references allowing dynamic template selection a the time of template substitution.
Acomma delimited listof element speciﬁc option names. In addition tobeing used internally, options are available during
markup tag and template substitution as attributes with an empty string value named like <option>-option (where
<option> is the option name). Seeattributeoptions for a complete list of available options.
subs, presubs, postsubs
• presubs and postsubs are lists of comma separated substitutions that are performed on the block contents. presubs is
applied ﬁrst, postsubs (if speciﬁed) second.
• subs is an alias for presubs.
• If a ﬁlter is allowed (Paragraphs, DelimitedBlocks and Tables) and has been speciﬁed then presubs and postsubs substi-
tutions are performed before and after the ﬁlter is run respectively.
• Allowed values: specialcharacters, quotes, specialwords, replacements, macros, attributes, callouts.
• The following composite values are also allowed:
The following substitutions in the following order: specialcharacters, quotes, attributes, specialwords, replace-
ments, macros, replacements2.
The following substitutions in the following order: specialcharacters andcallouts.
• normal and verbatim substitutions can be redeﬁned by with subsnormal and subsverbatim entries in a conﬁgu-
ration ﬁle [miscellaneous] section.
• The substitutions are processed in the order in which they are listed and can appear more than once.
This optional entry speciﬁes an executable shell commandfor processing block content (Paragraphs, DelimitedBlocks and
Tables). The ﬁlter command can contain attribute references.