©2002-2016, Ido Millet, ido@MilletSoftware.com
File Location Functionality
Visual CUT uses several files to store user preferences, report processing options & information:
1. Visual CUT.mdb stores report processing options
2. DataLink_Viewer.ini stores general options and user preferences
3. ReportList.txt stores information about previously opened reports for use in the 1
4. ReportList.grd stores grid style information (grouping, column visibility, font size, etc.)
5. Failure.log records processing failure information
6. Visual_Cut.log records email communications with the SMTP server
By default, these files are in the common application data folder. However, for security or other
reasons you may direct Visual CUT to use a different folder location for these main files. To
direct Visual CUT to use and maintain these files at a different folder, open DataLink_Viewer.ini
in the application folder and add a line such as follows under the File_Locations section.
The specified folder must exist and the user should have full permissions on it.
When Visual CUT starts, if it doesn’t find Visual CUT.mdb, DataLink_Viewer.ini,
ReportList.txt, and ReportList.grd in the specified folder, it will attempt to copy these files from
the application folder to the specified folder.
To direct command line processing to use a different Main_Files_Folder, you can use a
command line argument
like this: …
"Main_Files_Folder:some path to a folder"
This is useful in scenarios where a centralized scheduler triggers processing on behalf of multiple
users who maintain settings in their own folders.
Automatic Handling of Write-Protected Application Folders
When a user doesn’t have write permissions to the application folder (typical of Vista an
Windows 7 machines), Visual CUT handles that scenario as follows:
On load, if the user can't write to the DataLink_Viewer.ini, and the ini file doesn't already have a
"Main_Files_Folder" entry in the [File_Locations] section then use DataLink_Viewer.ini if
found in one of the following locations:
- common appdata (ProgramData) folder (common to all users), under "MilletSoftware\VC_11\"
- local appdata folder (local to the user), under "MilletSoftware\VC_11\"
- roaming appdata folder (follows the user to other machines), under "MilletSoftware\VC_11\"
Otherwise, this is probably the first time VC was started on that machine so we::
a) create a common appdata folder (e.g., c:\ProgramData\MilletSoftware\VC_11\
b) copy the DataLink_Viewer.ini to that folder
c) set its Main_Files_Folder option to that path
d) copy all the main files to that folder
e) provide a message to the user indicating the main files have been redirected
Note: The version information dialog shows the paths to the main files.