2 Creating Electronic Portfolios with Microsoft Word & Excel • Step-by-Step Instructions
What to do? Here is the process we will cover:
Collect the documents in electronic form and store in a single folder
Write brief reflection on each document using Insert Menu -> Comment
command OR include a database that contains a list of your artifacts and your
Create a list of the artifacts you have collected using an Excel Spreadsheet
(or a database, or a Table in Word). An Excel template (Artifacts-at-a-glance.xls) is
available. [Page 4]
• Enter the names of the artifacts
• Hyperlink to the documents.
• Set up columns for each of the standards to be demonstrated (or use template)
• Decide which standards the artifacts demonstrate and place a mark in the
column under each standard.
• Create a comment in the field that explains your rationale for selecting this
Create the Reflective Portfolio in Word
• Open a new Word document (or use a document that lists the standards
that you want to use as the framework for this portfolio). [Page 5]
• Insert the Standards to be used in your reflections (or use a template).
• Use Outline View of Word to create headings for each standard which show in the
Document Map (left window), becoming "bookmarks" for navigation (select the
View Menu -> Outline Layout) [Page 5-6]
• In the Outline View, at the beginning of the document:
• Create a heading for a Cover Page for your portfolio
• Create a heading for a Table of Contents for the Portfolio
• Right after the Table of Contents, create a page to write an introduction to the
reader, which is your overall reflection on the portfolio.
• Use the Style Menu to force page breaks for each Level 1 header [Page 7]
• Under each standard, include three paragraphs and headers: Evidence, Reflection,
Direction or Future Learning Goals [Page 8]
• Identify the artifacts from the Excel spreadsheet for each standard
• Write Reflections and Future Learning Goals for each standard
• Create Hyperlinks to Artifacts [Page 9]
• Create a Table of Contents for the Portfolio with links to each section [Page 8]