Create an ETD Using Adobe
Lesson 2: Modify a PDF File
For information on the
refer to Complete
the Help menu.
Exercise 1 – Specify Document Properties
In this exercise, you will learn how to modify document properties
by adding pertinent summary information. You also will learn how
to set options that deﬁne how your document will appear when opened.
1. Open the PDF ﬁle you created for your thesis or dissertation.
2. Choose Document Properties from the File menu.
3. The dialog box that appears contains a number of different categories in
the column on the left. Click Description.
4. The right side of the dialog box changes to allow you to enter information
for your document including Title, Author, Subject, and Keywords that
apply to the content. Type the appropriate values. Separate keywords with
5. Click Initial View in the column on the left side of the dialog box.
6. You will see “Document,” “Window,” and “User Interface” options. The
defaults for most of the options are appropriate. However, if you plan on
using bookmarks in your PDF document, set the value for Show (in the
“Document” area) to Bookmarks Panel and Page to assure the reader
sees the bookmarks as soon as the ETD is opened.
7. Click OK to save your settings.
Continue to Exercise 2