MicroStrategy Functions Reference
Understanding Functions in MicroStrategy
© 2011 MicroStrategy, Inc.
Additional examples of functions in expressions
• Pass4, Pass5, Pass6, and Pass7 compute (1.96 * M08). The group-value
function for M08, StDev, is not supported by the database (Microsoft
Access) so it is calculated by Intelligence Server.
• Pass8 and Pass9 obtain the list of valuable customers, evaluating the
filter condition F03.
• Pass10, Pass11, Pass12, and Pass13 compute the Last Order Sales metric.
• Pass 14 displays the results for the report.
• All other passes drop the temporary tables.
Statistical Descriptors - Simple example
The report and report components used in this example can be found
in the MicroStrategy Tutorial project under the following folder:
MicroStrategy Tutorial\Public Objects\
Reports\Technical Reports\Reports by Feature\
Analytics\Statistics and Forecasting\
Statistical Descriptors\Component Objects - Simple
The Component Objects - Advanced folder contains examples
beyond the one explained here.
How do I learn more about my customers?
You can get more information about the customers in each region by
performing statistical calculations on their spending. This example uses
analysis to answer the following questions:
• How many customers exist in each customer region?
• What is the average spending of customers in each customer region?
• What is the median spending of customers in each customer region?
• What is the standard deviation of customer spending in each customer
• How much is the 25th and 75th percentile of customer spending in each
These are statistical descriptors about customers in each customer region.
This type of data can help you understand how customers spend their
money. They are not simple Sum functions for each customer region, but
instead give information about detailed behavior in each customer region.