ABBY Y FineR ea der 10 U se r’s Guide
3. If the table contains vertical text cells, you may need to change the text properties first.
4. If the table cells only contain an image, check the Treat selected cells as picture option on the Area Properties panel (the
>Area Properties shortcut menu).
If the cell contains a combination of image and text, select the image to turn it into a dedicated area inside the cell.
Changing Text Properties
When performing automatic document analysis, ABBYY FineReader detects different area types on document pages (such as
tables, images, text and barcodes). The program also analyzes the document structure and identifies headings and other layout
elements such as headers and footers, images and diagram captions, etc.
You can manually change incorrectly defined properties in some Text and Table areas.
1. Select the area in the Image window or the Zoom window and adjust the properties in the Area Properties panel of the
The Area Properties panel lets you set the following properties:
● Language — For details, see Document languages.
● Function displays the function of the text, i.e., header or footer, heading, etc. (applies only to Text areas).
● Orientation — For details, see Vertical or Horizontal Text Not Recognized Properly.
● Print type — For details, see Print Type.
● Inversion — For details, see Vertical or Horizontal Text Not Recognized Properly.
● Hieroglyphic text direction — For details, see Recognizing Documents in More Than One Language.
buttons to navigate left and right along the properties panel if the Image window is not wide enough to
display the entire properties panel.
● Some of the text properties can be modified using the shortcut menu available by right–clicking on a Text area.
2. Re–launch the OCR process after making the necessary changes.
Vertical or Inverted Text Not Recognized Properly
A fragment of recognized text may contain a large number of errors if the orientation of the fragment was detected incorrectly or
if the text in the fragment is inverted (i.e. light text is printed on a dark background).
To solve this problem:
1. In the Image window, select the area or the table cell that contains vertical or inverted text.
2. In the Image window on the Area Properties panel (right–click the area and select Area Properties to make the panel
● Vertical (top–to–bottom) or Vertical (bottom–to–top) from the Orientation drop–down list
● Inverted from the Inversion drop–down list
3. Re–launch the OCR process.
Paper Document Contains Decorative (Non–Standard) Fonts
The Training mode improves OCR quality on documents with decorative fonts or documents containing special characters (e.g.
In Training mode, a user pattern is created which can be used when performing OCR on the entire text.
To use a pattern to recognize a document:
1. Open the Options dialog box (Tools>Options…) and then click the Read tab.
2. Under Training, select the Train user pattern option.
Note. If you select Use built–in patterns, ABBYY FineReader will use both the user patterns and its factory preset patterns
3. Click the Pattern Editor… button.
4. In the Pattern Editor dialog box, select the desired pattern and then click Close.
5. In the ABBYY FineReader main window, click the Read button.