By submitting the form, the user has requested (or opted-in to) email communications
from you, completing the first step in the subscription process.
2. Campaigner displays a Thank You message, such as the following:
Thank you for submitting your request to subscribe to our Monthly Promotions mailing
list. You will receive an email in which you will need to confirm your request.
3. Campaigner sends a plain text email to the email address provided by the user on the
sign up form. This email (referred to as the confirmation email) asks the user to click a
link (included in the email) to confirm their subscription request.
4. The user opens the confirmation email and clicks the confirmation link to confirm the
subscription request, completing the second step in the double opt-in subscription
Clicking the confirmation link also allows Campaigner to validate that the email address is
legitimate. Campaigner adds the user as a contact and assigns the contact to appropriate
5. Campaigner displays a Welcome message, such as the following:
Welcome to our newsletter subscriptions. You should receive your first newsletter in the
first week of next month.
Tip: After submitting a sign up form, the user's status is Pending. When the user clicks the
confirmation link in the confirmation email, the status changes to Subscribed. You can view
the status for each contact in the list of contacts
on the Contacts tab. A summary of contacts
by status is available in the contact reports.
Quality versus Quantity
When building contacts, remember that the quality of your customer base is as important as
the quantity of contacts. Use the following tips to reach contacts who will contribute to your
• Invest the time and budget necessary to reach your target audience. As with any aspect
of your business, overinvesting without an adequate return can lead to failure.
• When assessing potential contacts, keep in mind their potential revenue and lifetime
value, and choose accordingly.
• Do not buy mailing lists.
Although this may seem like a good way to expand your potential customer base, you're
sending email to people who don’t know you. The majority of these people won’t read
your messages, and may even report your emails as SPAM, which can quickly ruin your
• Offer potential contacts something that they will value, instead of a prize.
For example, offer an incentive that is related to your business, such a newsletter, a free
seminar, or more information about your products or services. This type of incentive
appeals to users who will invest in your company somehow, not users who just want to
win a prize.
Campaigner User Guide