4. Getting Started: Creating an Export Business Plan 35
Step 3: Assess your industry’s international growth potential.
This exploration can be conducted through such avenues as conversations with industry colleagues/
contacts, attending trade shows, and researching your industry.
• Talk to companies in your industry or trade association.
• Read industry-speciﬁc magazines.
• Attend a national trade fair.
List up to three ﬁndings about your industry’s growth potential:
What might these ﬁndings lead you to believe about your own company’s international growth potential?
What do these ﬁndings reveal about potential barriers to growth or market entry?
Step 4: Research government market studies.
Federal and state studies have been conducted on many industries’ potential international markets. Check
for these studies at the following locations:
• U.S. Department of Commerce
• Your local U.S. Export Assistance Center
• Your closest Small Business Development Center
• Related trade associations
List pertinent studies for future reference. (Copy website URLs for easy access.)
Back to Beginning
To print this worksheet,
print pages 34 to 35