Adobe® Acrobat® XI Pro Accessibility Guide: Best Practices for PDF Accessibility
users of assistive technology. You can remove decorative and irrelevant page elements from the
tag structure by redeﬁning them with the Background (artifact) tag. Simply deleting these tags
from the structure will prevent them be being seen by assistive technology but these untagged
elements will then be ﬂagged by the Accessibility Checker. 周erefore it is best to tag these
elements as artifacts by choosing the Background bu瑴on of the Touch Up Reading Order tool..
1. Select the Touch Up Reading Order tool.
2. In the Touch Up Reading Order dialog box, select Show Page Content Order
and Show Tables And Figures.
3. In the document pane, select the page element, and then click
Background in the dialog box.
Apply a Figure Tag
Non-decorative ﬁgures must provide alternative text to users who cannot see them. Select an
element and deﬁne it as a ﬁgure by using the Touch Up Reading Order tool. Once it is deﬁned as
a ﬁgure, add alternate text to describe it.
1. Activate the Touch Up Reading Order tool.
2. Select the ﬁgure by drawing a rectangle around it.
3. In the Touch Up Reading Order dialog box, activate the Figure bu瑴on.
4. In the document pane, right-click the region and choose Edit Alternate Text
(See “Figure 39. Add / Edit Alternate Text with Touch Up Reading Order”
on page 62).
5. Enter the desired alternate text in the Alternate Text dialog (See “Figure 40.
Touch Up Reading Order Alternate Text Dialog” on page 62),
6. Select the OK bu瑴on.
Use the Touch Up Reading Order to tag ﬁgures with captions
Use the Touch Up Reading Order tool to correct tag ﬁgures with on-screen captions. Determine
whether ﬁgures include caption. Typically this occurs when an image such as a graph or
illustrative photograph is provided with text below or above it that describes or labels the ﬁgure.
Background elements that should not be announced should be tagged as background elements.
Select the Touch Up Reading Order tool, and activate Show Tables And Figures in the dialog box.
It may be necessary to do the following:
• If a ﬁgure with caption is not tagged as a ﬁgure/caption, select the desired
image and text caption content, and then activate the Figure/Caption
bu瑴on in the dialog box.
• To remove text that was incorrectly combined with a ﬁgure, drag to select
the text, and click the Text bu瑴on in the dialog box.
• To include a caption that is visually grouped with the ﬁgure, select the ﬁgure
and caption, and click the Figure/Caption bu瑴on in the dialog box.
Add Alternate Text with the Touch Up Reading Order Tool
Screen reading so晴ware used by people who are blind or visually impaired cannot describe
graphical elements that illustrate important concepts in a document. 周us, the document author
must provide the description using alternate text. Figures are not recognized or announced by a
screen reader unless alternate text is added to the tag properties. Alternate text that is applied to
Acrobat XI Pro PDF Accessibility Repair Workﬂow