Exercise 2: Creating multiple mosaic datasets from a
single mosaic dataset
In this exercise, you will be creating a mosaic dataset containing a single
DEM. This mosaic dataset will be the source for two additional mosaic
datasets that will be created to produce both a hillshade and a shaded relief
product. This tutorial walks you through the steps using only one DEM file;
however, you would typically create a mosaic dataset containing many
DEMs and potentially DEMs with various spatial resolutions.
This exercise will show you how to create a referenced mosaic dataset and
edit its function chain.
This exercise does not rely on any previous exercises.
Before you begin, it is assumed that you have installed the tutorial at C:\arcgis\ArcTutor\Raster\Data. If not,
make the appropriate path changes throughout this tutorial so it works properly for you.
1. Start ArcMap by clickingStart>All Programs>ArcGIS>ArcMap 10.
2. ClickCancelon theArcMap - Getting Startedwindow.
This window may not open if you've previously opted not to show it.
You will be setting the default map document's geodatabase later
in this exercise.
Create a file geodatabase
If you have already created the ImageGDB in another exercise, you can skip this section of steps.
1. Click the Catalog window button
on the Standard toolbar.
This opens theCatalogwindow.
2. In theLocationtext box, typeC:\arcgis\ArcTutor\Rasterand press ENTER.
This location is added to the Catalog tree under the Folders Connection heading.
If your tutorial data was installed in a different location, alter the path according to your
3. Right-click the Raster folder and clickNew>Folder.
4. Name the folderExercises.
5. Right-click the Exercises folder and clickNew>File Geodatabase.
6. Rename the new file geodatabaseImageGDB.
ArcGIS Tutorial Data Setup
Understand how to create a master
mosaic dataset that can be used as the
source from which to create multiple
Copyright © 1995-2010 Esri. All rights reserved.