2.3.3 Documentation, page 227
Become familiar with these terms to get the most out of working with DEVONthink Pro Office.
• Contextual Menu: The menu that appears when you right-click (or Control-click) something;
the contextual menu gives you access to frequently used commands that deal directly with
the clicked object. Read more about the available contextual menus in the Documents and
• Item list: A list of items stored in the database. Items can be documents, groups, or smart
• View/Edit Pane: A part of the DEVONthink Pro Office main and document windows that
lets you view a document or, if possible, edit it. The view/edit pane displays the content of
your documents depending on their type. See also p. 89ff
• View (1): The layout for a DEVONthink Pro Office main window. You can change the layout
using the commands found in the View menu.
• View (2): The display for the various document types inside the the view/edit pane or a
document window. See also p. 120ff
• Window: DEVONthink Pro Office uses three different types of windows: main, document,
and other windows. Main windows show lists of items and, in some views, also the contents
of the selected document, whereas document windows show documents separately.
DOCUMENTS & GROUPS
• Database: A collection of all documents stored in DEVONthink Pro Office. You can create
and open as many databases as you like.
• Document: A file in the database; for example, a plain or RTF text, a PDF, or an image.
Technically a document is an entry in a database with text, RTF, or image content.
Sometimes referred to as 'content'.
• Default Destination: The default destination group for incoming data. Set in Preferences,
• Group: A collection of documents or other groups inside the database. Similar to a folder in
the file system. See also p. 70ff
• Global Inbox: A special database serving as a destination for incoming data. Always opened
when DEVONthink Pro Office is started and accessible through the sidebar.
• Inbox: A special group for data coming in to a database. The inbox can be set as the default
destination in Preferences, Import tab.
• News Feed: A news feed is like a web page but splitted into multiple newsbits. A feed reader
or web browser can split the feed 'page' into its parts and show each of them as a separate
news and/or store it in a local database. DEVONthink Pro Office can store feeds in a
database and displays them like a group which contents are updated live from the Internet
as the connected feed changes. Older news bits are kept, new bits are added and marked as
unread. When you add a bookmark that points to a feed to a database, DEVONthink Pro
Office tries to add it as a proper feed document if possible. DEVONthink Pro Office can also
be defined as the system's RSS reader in Safari's Preferences.
• Replicant: A document or a group that appears in more than one place in the database.
Unlike an alias in the file system, a replicant is not a real document pointing to another
file (usually the original), but only a second entry in the table of contents for the very same