Email Protection Administrator Guide
Configure a Spam Filter
Proprietary: Not for use or disclosure outside McAfee without written permission
Note: Emails that match keywords but are allowed will be reported as Other in the Threats: Spam
• Tag the message subject with "[SPAM]"– The phrase "[SPAM]" is added to the
subject line of the email at the beginning of the subject text and the email is sent to the
recipient email address.
• Encrypt Message– is also available for Outbound content groups, if the Customer
has subscribed to Encryption.
• Silent Copy – allows you to forward a copy of the original message. To send a copy,
select a predefined distribution list from the drop-down.
8 Content List the content keywords needed to define your Custome Content Group.In
the Content field, type any keywords you want to search for in email. Use the
following rules for entering keywords.
• Each entry must be on its own line (separated by a hard return).
• If an entry contains multiple words, the entire phrase is used as a literal string (as
• If individual words are desired, each word must be on its own line.
• Letter-case (for example, upper case or lower case) is ignored.
• The wildcards question mark (?) and asterisk (*) can be used to designate the
— ? – designates any single character, including white space characters (for
example, menu, space, line break, etc.).
— For example, w?y would catch way, why, and w y.
— * – at the end of the string designates multiple characters until a white space
character is encountered.
For example, refi* would catch refinance, refinancing and refine.
— * – followed by a literal character designates multiple characters, including
white space characters, until the designated character is encountered.
For example, refi*d would catch refinanced, but would also catch refinishing
is a great way to save d.
— If the literal asterisk or question mark is desired, it must be preceded by a
backslash (for example, \* or \?).
9 For example, why\? (without quotes) would catch the string why? and the question
mark would not be used as a wildcard.Click the Enable checkbox to turn on the spam
10 Click Save for the new spam content group.
11 Click Save for the policy or continue to the Reporting tab.
To change a policy’s existing spam content group, click Edit.