ABBY Y FineR ea der 10 U se r’s Guide
● A separate copy of ABBYY FineReader 10 should be installed on each computer.
● All the users must have full access to the ABBYY FineReader document.
● Each user may add pages to the document and modify them. If a user adds new pages and launches the OCR process for them,
the program will process the entire document anew. None of the users will be able to edit the document while the processing
Once the page background changes to white, all the tools in the Text window will become available.
● A document page that is being processed by one user is locked for the other users.
● Users may monitor page status from the Document window, including the computer that is processing the document, which
user has opened a page, whether it has been recognized or edited, etc. To see the status, switch into the Details view.
● The fonts that are used in the ABBYY FineReader document must be installed on each computer. Otherwise, the recognized
text may be displayed incorrectly.
Using the Same User Languages and Dictionaries on Several
In ABBYY FineReader 10, several users can use the same user languages and dictionaries simultaneously. Several users can also
add words to the same user dictionaries over the LAN.
To make user languages and dictionaries available to multiple users:
1. Create or open an ABBYY FineReader document and select the desired scanning and OCR options.
2. Before creating a user language, specify the network or local folder where user languages and dictionaries should be stored.
By default, user languages and dictionaries are stored in the ABBYY FineReader document folder.
To specify a storage location for user languages:
● Select Tools>Options…, click the Advanced tab, and provide the path to the folder under User languages folder.
To specify a storage location for user dictionaries:
1. Select Tools>Options…, click the Advanced tab, and then click the Spell Checker Settings… button.
2. In the Spell Checker Settings dialog box, click the Browse… button and select the desired folder.
3. Save the ABBYY FineReader document options to an *.fbt file.
4. The users wishing to work with the languages and dictionaries stored in the above folder should load the document options
from this *.fbt file when creating a new ABBYY FineReader document so that the same folder path will be used for all users.
Important! The users should have read and write permissions for the folder where user languages and dictionaries are stored.
To view the list of available user languages in the Language Editor dialog box (select Tools>Language Editor… and scroll to
When a user language is being used by several users, it is available as "read–only," and users will not be able to change user
language properties. However, words can be added to and deleted from a user dictionary that is being used on several LAN
When a user is adding words to a dictionary or editing a dictionary, the dictionary becomes locked for other users. Once finished,
changes become available to all users that have access to this language storage folder.
To update a dictionary:
● While checking the spelling (Tools>Check Spelling…), click the Add… button in the Check Spelling dialog box
● Click any button in the Select Dictionary dialog box (Tools>View Dictionaries…)
ABBYY FineReader Automated Task Management
An ABBYY FineReader automated task is a set of successive steps. Each step corresponds to one of the document recognition
stages. Similar actions can be automated using tasks.
Automated task management includes creating, editing, starting, and deleting custom automated tasks. Tasks are managed via the
Automation Manager dialog box.
To open the Automation Manager dialog box, do one of the following:
● Select Automation Manager… in the Tools menu
● Press Ctrl+T
The Automation Manager dialog box will display the available automated tasks. These include:
● ABBYY FineReader Quick Tasks are marked with the character
These tasks cannot be deleted or edited. However, you can copy a task and then modify it.