Changing Reading Order in a Document
Part of the Document Preparation process, Zone Editing allows you to specify how Kurzweil 3000
reads blocks of text, or zones, in a scanned or virtually printed document.
To edit zones:
1. With the document open and active in Kurzweil 3000, open the Scan menu and choose Zone
The document appears in Zone Edit mode. Zones appear in numbered outlined blocks.
2. Click on a zone to select it.
3. Press the right mouse button to display the Zone Editor menu.
4. Select Properties.
5. In the Zone Properties dialog, specify desired properties for the selected zone:
• Primary to have Kurzweil 3000 read zones in the reading order you specify.
• Secondary to read the zone only when clicked.
• Graphic to not have Kurzweil 3000 read the zone.
• Override OCR to edit an Added zone.
• Reading Order (the order in which Kurzweil 3000 reads the zones. Zone 1 is read first, zone
2 second, and so on).
To access additional Zone Editing functions, such as Adding and Deleting Zones:
While in Zone Editor, press the right mouse button to display the Zone Editor menu.
Note: While using Zone Editor, there are a number of shortcut keys available. See “Zone Edit
Shortcuts in image documents” on page23
Correcting Recognition Errors
The Optical Character Recognition (OCR) process, part of the scanning and the KESI Virtual
Printer process, sometimes produces errors in documents. If, as Kurzweil 3000 reads your docu-
ment, you hear mispronunciations, you may need to correct the OCR generated “underlying text.”
First, try common editing functions such as Spell Check and Find and Replace. For errors common
editing functions could not remedy, use Edit Underlying Text.
To edit the underlying text of an image document:
1. Open the image document you want to edit.
2. On the Edit menu, choose Correct Recognition, and then Edit Underlying Text.
The Underlying Text editor window appears at the bottom of the document.
3. In the Underlying Text area, click on a word that you want to correct.
The selected word displays in the Selected Word box.
4. Click in the text box and edit the word to correct the misrecognition.
To correct frequently encountered OCR errors/corrections:
On the Scan menu, choose Corrections, then do one of the following:
• Click the word you want to change in the Find box, and type its replacement in the Replace
With box, then click OK
• Or, click Add New, and in the Add Correction dialog, type the word or error in the Replace
box, type the replacement in the With box, then click OK.