Visual Basic 6 Black Book:The Visual Basic Development Environment
Figure 2.19 Setting a project’s version information.
3. Fill in the information you want, including the program’s version number,
product name, and so on.
4. Create the EXE file, which in our case is CDU2000.exe, using the Make
CDU2000.exe item in the File menu.
5. To look at the version information in CDU2000.exe, find that file in the
Windows Explorer and right-click the file, selecting Properties from the pop-up
menu that opens. As you can see in Figure 2.20, our version
information—including the name of the product—appears in the Properties box.
Figure 2.20 Reading a program’s version information.
Sometimes, version information is all that users have to go on when they encounter
your program, so be sure to include it before releasing that product.
Setting An EXE File’s Name And Icon
You’re about to release your software commercially, but you suddenly realize that
Project1.exe might not be the best name for your product’s executable file. The
stockholders’ meeting is in five minutes—how can you change your EXE file’s name?
To set the EXE file’s name, you just set the project’s name. Here’s how you do it:
1. Select the Properties item in the Project menu to open the Project Properties
box, as shown in Figure 2.21.
Figure 2.21 Setting a project’s name.
2. Select the General tab in the Project Properties box (if it’s not already
3. Enter the name of the project you want to use, such as CDU2000 in Figure
4. The project’s name will become the name of the EXE file when you create it
with the Make CDU2000.exe item in the File menu.
Now you’ve named your EXE file, but how do you set the program’s icon that will
appear in Windows? The program’s icon is just the icon of the startup form, and you
can set that by setting that form’s Icon property in the Properties window. If you have a
new icon in ICO file format, you can load that icon right into that form by setting the
form’s Icon property to the ICO file name.
file:///E|/Program%20Files/KaZaA/My%20Shared%...Basic%20-%20%20Black%20Book/ch02/059-063.html (2 of 4) [7/31/2001 8:57:13 AM]